Hurricane Ivan and Norwegian Sea???

B J

I live in a small town and someone reported in the newspaper that they were on the NS last week and ran into the outer bands of Ivan and had 30 to 35 foot waves and half the crew and passengers were sick and stuff was rolling around on the floor in the staterooms, dining rooms and the shops. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

I had the distinct pleasure of riding 50 foot waves on the Norwegian Sea last week. Those waves were much higher than 35 feet. The staff jut candy coated that for us. The 3rd deck of the ship had waves up to the portholes!!! It was the WORST night I have ever spent anywhere. The ship went straight up and then came straight back down. That may not seem like much, but this is a huge ship going full steam ahead to try and outrun Ivan. I was extremely disappointed in the cruiselines handling of any type of compensation. They refunded our $13.76 per person for missing Cozumel and then cancelled Cancun on the way home so that we could do Cozumel. There were people on the top deck trying to sleep because EVERYONE was sick. You couldn't go anywhere and get away from the horrendous movements. Some people had their tvs come off the shelf and hit them in bed as well as everything coming off the shelves onto the beds filled with passengers trying to sleep. It sounded like the ship broke apart at some points. I still can't believe the captain put us in that type of danger. Again, very disappointed in the Norwegian Sea. Had a great time off the ship though!!!

I have been on one where the ship sounded like it could fall apart. It was very scary!!! But after that cruise, I realized that THAT was the best time I ever had in my whole life. I book my cruises around this time of the year just for that reason.

Only problem is, I am taking a group of others this time that might not like the rocking like that.

I agree - The Captain should have given us some type of warning - We did hear some of the crew on Sunday afternoon and evening mention it could be a bit rough that night, but nothing official and nothing from the Captain or Cruise Director. This was very unsafe - we should have been warned of the possibility - told to secure our belongings - put up all glassware - given instuctions to STAY in bed - DO NOT GET UP AND TRY TO WALK AROUND AND INVESTIGATE - as I said in a previos post - I did get up and was thrown across the room and slammed into the cabin door - very lucky I was not hurt - a bit of a sore shoulder - I crawled on my hands and knees back into bed - trying to avoid all the broken glass on the floor. To Akansasfish - I agree it was an unforgettable experience - but, I think once is enough - won't stop me from booking during Hurricane Season again in the future.

Archived