Hurricane Information

laginog

I was just watching Geraldo on FoxNews and he was talking to a guy on accuweather. The guy was acting like there's a good chance that Ivan is going to loop back around through Florida after it gets to the ocean!!! So,....not only do we have to watch Jeanne but....he said 6, 6, or 8 days from now to watch for Ivan to circle around and head back west through Florida!!! We're supposed to catch the Caribbean Princess on Saturday.....now I'm getting worried. Plus...all you poor Floridians!! We sent my MIL a plane ticket to Ohio to get her out of there last week after she had no power for a week. She's supposed to go back on October 1st....maybe that's not a good idea!!!!!

I think your weather man was in the sauce tonite perhaps or his radar screen and doppler weather tracker is foggy...'cause I am watching CNN meterologist right now on TV and Ivan is past the Apalacian mountains and has been downgraded as a tropical storm at best in some remaining areas!

no worries board that ship and enjoy!

I never trust anything said by Accuweather. I think those guys just love to cause a panic by predicting the most disturbing possible path, regardless of the fact that 87 other forecasters from Canada to Asia are predicting an entirely different path! Take what they say with a grain of salt!

TinaLee

I sure hope you guys are right!!! He had Geraldo Rivera a little worked up over it coming back too! Wonder why Geraldo chose Accuweather to interview about it?? I've never seen them talk to them before. Hopefully, Ivan will be gone and Jeanne will turn right and dissappear too!!!! Doesn't sound like Karl will be much of a problem..... Thanks for the encouragement!! We've got 3 young ones...and 5 adults that will be really disappointed if we don't get on that ship Saturday! The older boys in our group (10 & 11) have been counting the days since Day 112!!!

Was the guy he was interviewing named Joe Bastardi? (not making that up) He's a famous weatherman from Accuweather. You even have to PAY to read his tropical forecasts because he got so famous, but he is notorious for predicting the worst possible, most damaging, and scariest paths. No matter what everyone else is saying. I'm sick to death of him and his forecasts!! I don't think he has a clue about the panic he causes (or maybe he does). People definitely need to listen to more than just one opinion of the track of a hurricane. Myself, I rely heavily on the Navy's forecasters and the National Hurricane Center. No one is perfect, but at least they can give you an actual meteorologic reason for WHY they are predicting a certain path (highs, lows, wind shear, etc).

Weather forecast for Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday is about the same as it always is, a 30% chance of isolated showers. Welcome to fall in Florida!! ;) Seems we ALWAYS have at least a 20% chance of isolated showers at any given place at any given time. I'm sure you'll all be fine!

Have a wonderful trip... we'll be waiting to board when you get off!

TinaLee

I didn't catch his name, but he has been on Fox before.

His prediction for Jeanne was that it would be heading for Western Florida as a Category 2 or 3. We all know how wrong he was about that. :p

I think Fox just puts him on to be controversial and different. I certainly would not believe his predictions.

Yes, it was Joe Bastardi. He mentioned the possibility of Ivan turning south, going down the coast, crossing west over north Florida into the Gulf and then gaining strength and becoming a hurricane again. I think he's nuts!!! And Jeanne is no longer a threat -- BUT-- there is another tropical depression coming off the coast of Africa. Grrrrrrr!

His prediction for Jeanne was that it would be heading for Western Florida as a Category 2 or 3. We all know how wrong he was about that. :p
Well, here is the current (19 September 2004, 1500Z) forecast diagram. A looping Hurricane Jeanne doesn't seem so far fetched.

jeanne.gif

We'll have to see whether Jeanne does this in the end, but it's a good reminder about why decisions about diversions are made on a day-to-day basis.

A looping Hurricane Jeanne doesn't seem so far fetched.

It wasn't Jeanne he was talking about looping, it was Ivan! Back out into the Gulf, reforming as a hurricane, and then making landfall in Florida again!!

No one has a clue what Jeanne is going to do! I hope she just sits out there and 'spins' herself out! These storms really just need to go AWAY!

TinaLee

I heard the same report (Ivan looping around and going back to the gulf) on the weather channel this morning. We are scheduled to depart on the 25th on the Caribbean as well.

Has anyone heard about St. Thomas and ST. Marteen and what shape they are in.

Living on this planet for only 60 years, has a hurricane ever followed this path? I mean we are talking about something that winds, ocean currents and land masses have never allowed before. Does the physic's of the planet even allow such a thing to happen? We are talking about thousands of miles, not that little loop shown in the path in the Caribbean. I think we are safer to worry about a direct hit on a cruise ship by a alien space craft than this scenario even being plausible.

Nope, Hurricane Karl is about 5-6 days away right now brewing in the Atlantic, #11 of the season...stay tuned!

Karl is heading due NORTHEAST, away from the entire North American continent. I really don't think he's going to be a problem for anyone!

192053W5.gif

Stay calm folks - TS #13 is forming off the coast of Africa! Let's hope she just blows away and follows Karl!

TinaLee

Archived