Chankanaab Park Dolphin Swim

shelby101

We've done this dolphin swim twice - once in 2004 (just my hubby and I) and again in 2007 (my daughter and cousins). It's a wonderful excursion. The park is beautiful and the time in the water with the dolphins is great! We booked both times through the cruiseline.

I too have done this swim but booked directly through the park. We did this in November and had a group of 10. Initially, we booked the one that you did not get to do the foot push, but when we got there, they asked us if we wanted to upgrade to that swim - which we did. By doing so, we had our own platform (because of the size of our group) and we had two dolpins as well. We also did an early swim so that allowed us time to hit all the fun spots and shopping afterwards. Lastly, to get there, we grabbed a taxi which took about 10-15 minutes from the Punta Langosta Pier. That matters too so if you can find out which pier you are going to be at, that will help you plan. Go to cozumelinsder.com for cruise ship piers and schedules.

Oh, one other thing - they charge a ton of money for the pics and video they take, but we bought them after bargaining the prices down and they were worth it!

Oh, one other thing - they charge a ton of money for the pics and video they take....

The videos in particular are fantastic - they do a great job and you'll have such a great time you'll want to buy one.

And do leave a few hours for the rest of the park before or after your encounter. Chankanaab is a nice place, has good snorkling and a nice open air beach bar/restaurant.

Question: If I book at 1pm Dolphin Swim time, that will give me plenty of time to get back to the boat correct? I hope so because that is the earliest they have left. Thanks

Should be. But you might want to confirm the times with them to make sure it allows for some pre-swim procedures (check in, forms, instruction, etc), possible delay if they are running a little behind (seems like we had to wait an extra 15 or 20 minuites to start last time we did it a few years ago) and time to see the video afterward to see if you want to buy it, and of course transportation back. It couldn't hurt to talk on the phone to make sure you understand all the timing. And of course it depends on how long is your swim is and what time is your ship is scheduled to leave port.

We are interested in doing a dolphin swim excursion and this information is very helpful! Both Cosumel and Ocho Rios are on our ports of call. Does anyone know which place is better for a dolphin swim experience? Also, what differences are between booking one yourself vs. through the cruise line? I am sure there is some cost difference, but do you have to arrange your own transportation regardless of who you book with?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated! We sail in April and are working on our "game plan!" Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel did have a promotion going on several weeks ago that would pay for your transportation to and from the ship. You had to book 4 swimmers to get the free transportation.

When we booked, instructions were to contact them and let them know we would be utilizing the promotion and they emailed specific instructions about the cab vouchers to use.

I have no idea if the promotion is still going on or not, but you can check their website.

www.dolphindiscovery.com

We are interested in doing a dolphin swim excursion and this information is very helpful! Both Cosumel and Ocho Rios are on our ports of call. Does anyone know which place is better for a dolphin swim experience? Also, what differences are between booking one yourself vs. through the cruise line? I am sure there is some cost difference, but do you have to arrange your own transportation regardless of who you book with?

Any further information would be greatly appreciated! We sail in April and are working on our "game plan!" Thanks in advance for your help! :)

The main difference between booking yourself or through the cruiseline would be, most cruiselines don't offer the ROYAL dolphin swim. This is the only excursion where you will be able to do the foot push with the dolphins. From what I noticed with the Carnival excursion price and booking on my own, was Carnival cost more for a lot less.

Go to dolphindiscovery.com . It's filled with information, phone numbers and a reservation site.

The main difference between booking yourself or through the cruiseline would be, most cruiselines don't offer the ROYAL dolphin swim. This is the only excursion where you will be able to do the foot push with the dolphins. From what I noticed with the Carnival excursion price and booking on my own, was Carnival cost more for a lot less.

Go to dolphindiscovery.com . It's filled with information, phone numbers and a reservation site.

Definitely book this on your own through the park! If I remember correctly, Carnival did offer the Royal swim, but it was about $180 per person - we did the swim for approximately $130. There are other, cheaper swims that do not include the foot push so if you can't afford the Royal swim, you do have other options.

Here's a pic of Regina and Melinche - the two dolphins we swam with.

DSC04918.jpg.9ad9b5f82a7ef5c6259ed21b02b41829.jpg

Carolinamamacita, the video was great! It looks like a lot of fun! And thanks to everyone for their advice. I don't think we can go wrong with Dolphin Discovery.

I went to the Dolphin Discovery site as recommended here and they are still doing the transportation special! I am going to go ahead and book directly through their site.

I can not wait for this excursion! When I was a little girl I loved the TV show Flipper and always dreamed of being able to swim with a dolphin. Guess I am finally going to get my chance at 45! :D

Carolinamamacita, the video was great! It looks like a lot of fun! And thanks to everyone for their advice. I don't think we can go wrong with Dolphin Discovery.

I went to the Dolphin Discovery site as recommended here and they are still doing the transportation special! I am going to go ahead and book directly through their site.

I can not wait for this excursion! When I was a little girl I loved the TV show Flipper and always dreamed of being able to swim with a dolphin. Guess I am finally going to get my chance at 45! :D

I know the feeling. I'm so excited...cannot wait for this excursion!

One tip: be very sure that once you book the excursion, you follow the directions and email them about wanting to use the free transporation promotion. Evidently, if you don't notify them, they will not except the charges (meaning giving you the voucher) for the cab ride. I printed out their return email to me confirming the free transportation in case there are any questions on that day.

You have to prepay. That's the only way you can make the reservation. I do believe that they have a guarantee that if your ship skips that port or arrives at a time that forces you to miss your swim time, they will give you a full refund.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed no one has posted in this thread for a while, but didn't want to start a whole new thread...can anyone give me prices for the photos/dvd you get at the end? can you buy ONLY the pics and no dvd? the pics are really all i'm interested and i know that they are quite pricey...would just like to know exactly how much i need to plan for...thanks!!

MetalPrincess8 - I don't remember exactly how much the pics were but I remember that they weren't cheap. What they will do though, is bargain with you. If you don't buy a pic, they throw them away, so if you hem and haw a while, you can probably work it out with them. I believe I purchased 4 pictures and it was about $25-30. They are large sizes though and much better than anything I took with my own camera.

Hope that helps you out.

I noticed no one has posted in this thread for a while, but didn't want to start a whole new thread...can anyone give me prices for the photos/dvd you get at the end? can you buy ONLY the pics and no dvd? the pics are really all i'm interested and i know that they are quite pricey...would just like to know exactly how much i need to plan for...thanks!!

I actually thought they were very reasonable. Of course, we were a group of 6 so maybe that helped get the price down.

We had originally thought that we would each buy just one photo but we loved all of them (surprise, surprise LOL). We asked the guy how much he would charge us for 1 DVD (we copied it) and the 5 photos of each person (30 photos in all). He gave us a price which broke down to $33 per person which we thought was a great deal. Much cheaper then cruise ship photos.

I'd highly recommend the DVD. Photo's are nice but the DVD is fantastic!

Thanks so much for your response! That helps out a bunch...wish they would post that on the actual Dolphin Discovery website. You never know, I might get the DVD, but the pics are really all I'm interested in...the pics I can look at at any time...the DVD will probably just collect dust on a shelf...so if I had to choose, I'd go for the pics if that was all I could afford, so that's why I figured I would ask. Thanks for everyone's input!! :D

Archived