Med cruise- Flying in to Milan

SusiejaneUK

We have booked a cruise on the Emerald Princess which departs from Venice on 16th August. We are flying into Milan on the 14th and would appreciate advice on whether to stay in Milan for 2 nights and travel to Venice on the 16th or to travel straight to Venice and have two extra days in Venice. We have never been to Italy before and wonder which location would best suit our family of four for 2 days (children aged 15 and 13). Any advice you could give would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

I have never been to Milan so I cannot give any advice about that. We loved our two days in Venice post-cruise last fall. Yes it is quite expensive but I believe you could get a lower cost hotel on the mainland near Maestre. The sights to see in Venice are fabulous. You can go to Murano and watch glass-making and Burano for the lace. In Venice there is St. Mark's, the Doge's Palace, the Bell tower and the clock. We also took the water bus the entire length of the Grand Canal and got off near the Rialto bridge. Overall I could have stayed even longer and not run out of things to see and do.

Hi

We flew into Milan last year, to transfer to a New York flight for a cruise on NCL Dawn.

Milan lost our luggage and we got it back in San Jaun, 2 days before the end of our cruise.

The reason I say this is if you have time to spend maybe one night in Milan, do so, as you may need to wait for luggage.

I hope not for your sake, and by the way, it didnt ruin our holiday woth no clothes!!

Have a great time.

How about one day in each place? In Milan, you should definitely see the Duomo, and go up on the roof. It is fantastic. But then you should move on to Venice. I stayed in a little hotel right in the city, which I never could find after I left the hotel. The streets are so winding, it was difficult to find my way back -- which was a fun adventure every time!

Definitely go to Piazzo San Marco late late at night, like midnight. There are small orchestras playing and it is beautiful.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi There, Looks like we're on the same cruise and have kids of similar age( ours will be 14, 11 and 7). If you have never been to Venice I'd recommend at least another day there. Betweeen getting on the boat ( boarding I'm told starts at 12pm) on the 16th and the ship leaving first thing on the 17th I don't think you'll be able to squeeze in anything but a whirlwind run from sight to sight. I think you need a minimum of 12 hours over two days to do minimum justice to the many sights in Venice.

Cheers and see ya on the ship :D

In Milan, you could easily spend 2 days there...

There's the Duomo, The Last Supper..which you need to make reservations for asap, and Sforza Castle, along with Victor Emmanuel glass shopping center.

Venice is wonderful...and you could easily spend a week there.

Research more of each place utilizing Rick Steves, DK, and Lonely Planet.

Also, most bookstores have picture books for you to browse through..this will help determine what speaks to you.

I strongly recommend while in Milan that you DO NOT stay at the Best Western Hotel Galles. You can read the multitude of reviews on TripAdvisor.com, there's been issues that have never been correctly for years.

I have pictures of Milans Duomo and Venice on my website, if you would like to take a look...

go to the Italy section, but feel free to roam the rest of website behind the luggage, globe, camera and journal. The photo albums can be slow to load, just back out and re-enter..it's a googlepages issue!

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com/

Thank you all so much for your advice. As we fly in relatively late into Milan I think we will spend the next day there and visit the sites recommended (thanks Aprilrain) and then go onto Venice. Look forward to seeing you on the cruise Chipmaster!

Thank you all so much for your advice. As we fly in relatively late into Milan I think we will spend the next day there and visit the sites recommended (thanks Aprilrain) and then go onto Venice. Look forward to seeing you on the cruise Chipmaster!

You should be aware that the airport for Milan is quite a way from Milan and you will need to take a train to get to Milan. It is convenient but takes a awhile. Google Malpensa Express for the train and schedule and check to see which station the train arrives at in Milan.....there are a couple.

Here is one site site for the Malpensa Express.

http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/malpensa/index.phtml?mod=milano_artreno&to=come_arrivare

Check the fares flying into Venice. We always found it much cheaper than Milan or Rome. Our daughter lived in Italy and we still love to go back and visit. We were flying in from JFK in New York.

There are so many good things to do in both places. You've gotten great advice in the above posts.

We have booked a cruise on the Emerald Princess which departs from Venice on 16th August. We are flying into Milan on the 14th and would appreciate advice on whether to stay in Milan for 2 nights and travel to Venice on the 16th or to travel straight to Venice and have two extra days in Venice. We have never been to Italy before and wonder which location would best suit our family of four for 2 days (children aged 15 and 13). Any advice you could give would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello,

In October of 2006 we stayed at the Hilton Milan which was a very nice hotel, especially the breakfasts. It was reasonably priced but the dollar is very weak against the Euro so you are going to pay a lot for hotels, food, and so on in Italy. The hotel is within walking distance of the Milan Central train station but the hotel is really not in the train station area. The immediate area around the hotel is a pleasant commercial and office area. with some very good restaurants close by. The subway is about 10 minutes from the hotel.

DO NOT MISS "THE LAST SUPPER" and the Duomo in Milan even if your faith is not Christianity. Very near the Duomo is the Italian Tourism office but be sure you look up at the balcony of this building where Mussolini made some of his speeches.

Here is an idea....plan on seeing Verona, which is on the main train line that links Milan with Venice. Also, we stayed in a very nice and reasonable hotel in Mestre (Best Western Hotel Bologna), that is about a 15 minute - one Euro each way train ride from Venice and much cheaper than Venice. Be sure that you take a vaporetto ride at night along the the Guideca Canal and Grand Canal in Venice, and sit up front and outside.

Have a wonderful trip.

Fred

Archived