POAM - one port at a time - Kona

dougweaver

This is our current plan for Kona

*Ship arrives on Wed at 7am

- eat an early breakfast

- catch the first tender

- 8am Capt Zodiac snorkeling tour (leaves from Kailua pier)

- Quinn's Pub (fresh fish & chips)

- check out Kona (shopping)

- take shuttle to Walmart (excellant view)

- ABC store on Alii Drive (great souvenir prices)

- back on the ship by 5:30

*Ship departs on Wed at 6pm

This is the only port we decided not to rent a car. Suggestions or opinions about this plan? Anything else in Kona within walking distance that we should consider? Thanks dpw

The Captain Zodiac is high on our list for next time...we love being on the water in small boats (but you should also read MichellP's excellent comparison of this and the Fairwind in the recent Captain Zodiac thread).

You are correct about the ABC store on Alii...we found just about everything on our list there.

Kona seems to have a lot of traffic, and the lines for then tender seem to be very long, so I wouldn't cut it too close returning to the ship in the late afternoon....other than the walmart shuttle, we will probably have a very similar itinerary when we return to Kona next time.

Thanks ... I have seen the posts about the various snorkel tours and since my wife and I both like thrill type of rides we are opting for the Zodiac. We are both about 50 ... so are planning to sit toward the back of the boat so we don't break any old bones. :) But we are looking forward to the thrill ride and the snorkeling. On another note ... I am trying to figure out what we should do as far as clothing and swimsuits. I have read some go right to lunch when the boat returns to the pier. I don't know if it would be best to bring some clothes along to either slip over the swimsuits after they dry or possibly find a place to change clothes. Or would it be better to tender back and forth to the ship? If we do that we might as well eat lunch onboard. Also to tender back and forth ... how long would that take? Anyone have any advice on what works best? Thanks dpw

I probably would opt to stay on shore, but the tender ride process took about 10-15 minutes each way, so you could ride back to the ship for lunch and dry clothing and still have some time for strolling and shopping in Kona.

We brought along a waterproof backpack from the thewaterproofstore.com, and this was great for storing a change of clothing as well as other stuff that needed to stay dry.

I think we will do that ... and bring extra clothes along with us so we don't need to go back to the ship until we are finished with lunch and shopping and looking around Kona. I can't handle but so much shopping ... anything else in Kona worth seeing ... within walking distance of the pier? tks dpw

You will see some history as you walk around the area by the pier. You will see the queen's summer palace. Note the large cracks that were caused by the big earthquake in 2006. These are now being repaired. There is also an old historic church you can tour. All of this, plus fun shops and restaurants, are all within steps of the pier. Have fun!!

We rented a car and went to the Place of Refuge, so I cannot help too much with the things right around the pier. I will add that the Wal-Mrt in Kona had really good prices on the Kona coffee if you are a coffee drinker or plan to get some to bring home as gifts. The Wal-Mart also had a decent selection of suveniers. By the way, the coffee was actually in the coffee section and not in the Hawaii suvenier and gifts section (imagine that). :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. We'll take clothes with us on the Zodiac tour so we don't have to tender back & forth. After a nice lunch at Quinn's we'll check out Kona ... shopping some and just looking around. Check out the ABC store for souvenirs and take the shuttle to Walmart for a great view and even better Kona coffee! Thanks dpw

Archived