NCL STAR - Stearing problem (March 1).

Bebette

I know nothing about this... but if they couldn't dock, could they not still tender? They wouldn't have had to miss Acapulco all together.

On a brighter note - when I saw the post I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if the cruise ship you were on had a 'steering problem' and couldn't turn around to take you home!! 'We apologize to our passengers, but we're going to have to sail the loooooooong way back; you will have to spend an additional week... or two... aboard!' :p

Bebette,

We are on the Star on 4/16 and have been faithful in checking the boards for any information. Can you please tell me is there a website where you find out information like the steering problem you mentioned?

Thanks,

Gym2

I am on the March 7th Star Mexico (3 days!), and according to one poster in our roll call they have heard from an acquaintence or someone on the Star that this in fact did happen and they substituded Mazatlan and Manzanillo (?) or something like that.

Now whether or not that makes it true I have no idea, but there is at least that one other source for it.

Obviouly I am hoping everything will be worked out for our trip next week!

We're sailing on the 8th and this sounds weird. Does anybody have more details? Is it possible to call NCL and get info?

(thanks from a newbie):)

Yes it is weird, the only thing I know is from friends in Zihuatanejo

they too want to know what is up .

Something just seems a little fishy about this. With as many CC members as there are out there, I would think someone would have more definitive information on this. "A stearing problem" would be a major issue and I would think any CC members on board would be letting us know the details by now.

I hope this is all just a rumor.

Something just seems a little fishy about this. With as many CC members as there are out there, I would think someone would have more definitive information on this. "A stearing problem" would be a major issue and I would think any CC members on board would be letting us know the details by now.

I hope this is all just a rumor.

You know, "stearing" IS an integral part to the whole process...

You know, "stearing" IS an integral part to the whole process...

I am not sure what you mean by that. I was quoting the OP.

Of course it is an integral part. That is why I think we should have heard more about it by now.

I am not sure what you mean by that. I was quoting the OP.

Of course it is an integral part. That is why I think we should have heard more about it by now.

I was being a little sarcastic. Or a lot. :)

I agree that it's a big problem and we probably should know more by now.

Most likely it is a problem with one of the two Pod motors which both propells the ship and steers it as well. If one pod were not manuvering properly then they would have to shut it down meaning a change in itinerary since they could not reach Acapulco nor do the full itinerary in the 8 days allotted.

It would not be the first time.

I am just off the ship and in my opinion no one is missing much by missing Acapulco, but missing Zijuantenajo is a true loss - even that little half day in port.

The Christmas cruise also missed Acapulco and Zihua, substituting Manzanillo and Mazatlan. In December, there was a leak in an azipod seal which was repaired in San Pedro delaying the ship's departure by eight hours. The ship is in Mazatlan today. Incidentally, the schedule for next season is the seven-day, PV, Mazatlan, Cabo itinerary which should be possible even with azipod problems.

The "steering" issue could be a bad side thruster. These are the little engines mounted sideways in the bow and stern areas. They allow the ship to move sideways in very fine increments.

If one of these thrusters malfunctioned, the ability to execute docking manuevers could be impaired, but it would not affect the normal cruising at all, since the thrusters are only used in and around port.

With the Star returning to port today, can anyone confirm what happened last week? Did the ship miss any ports, and was it from a azipod, engine, or any other known cause?

We head out on the Star next week, hoping not to have the problems she had back in December when they had to try and fix her azipods in port and she was 8 hours late pulling out causing that cruise to miss a couple of ports.

Thanks

Mark

We leave on the 31st and have a group of us have a yacht tour booked. I sure wish we knew if we should cancel or not since it isn't through the ship.:confused: I'd sure hate to lose the money that could be spent in another port. Such decisions to make:eek:

With the Star returning to port today, can anyone confirm what happened last week? Did the ship miss any ports, and was it from a azipod, engine, or any other known cause?

We head out on the Star next week, hoping not to have the problems she had back in December when they had to try and fix her azipods in port and she was 8 hours late pulling out causing that cruise to miss a couple of ports.

Thanks

Mark

According to Aca Port Dude over on the Mexican Riviera forum, the Star had 'technical issues' and didn't make it to Acapulco. Here's a link to that thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103695&page=110

We are also on the 31st sailing of the Star. After I booked this cruise, I found the CC website. In reviewing several different threads, it became apparent that the Star misses ACA with what I would characterize as an annoying degree of frequency. What I have concluded is that ACA is so far away that the least delay or problem that affects the speed the ship is able to generate makes it impossible for the Star to reach that far south and as a result the ports of Manzanillo and Mazatlan are usually substituted in those circumstances. If I had been aware of this tendency when I was looking for a cruise, I would have opted for a different ship sailing to ACA. However, as I don't get a "do-over" on my decision, all I can do now is hope that the Star will be able to make the scheduled itinery. But I can, and have made contingency plans in the event we end up going to Manzanillo and or Mazatlan instead. It does not mean that I will be any less disappointed, but at least I will have a plan for what I want to do and that will make the cruise more enjoyable as I won't waste any time focusing on the negative things I can't control and wishing I had known more when I made my decision.

Just off the Star this morning. Yes it is true, there was a steering problem as the Captain called it. It happened the first or second night. We were in an aft cabin and it woke us out of a sound sleep!!! Slowed down instantly:(

We missed ACA and Z. Instead we stopped in Manzanillo, PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo. Everyone did an outstanding job re-arranging all of the shore excursions. It was a disappointment but everything turned out GREAT! :D

The problem was corrected in Manzanillo, so it was full speed ahead after that! The Star is fixed again. We did notice this morning they were taking huge parts off the ship, possibly the broken parts.

Great job NCL!!!!!

Now, I'm not hoping for any mechanical problems, but my little old opinion is that Manzanillo is a much nicer port of call than Acapulco. We had a fabulous day at Las Hadas there.

Now, missing Zi would be a tragedy.

In any case, it will be a great week.

:cool:

Archived