Blood Donors

skewsus

There really isn't any risk to being in Honduras on a cruise ship assuming you don't spend any time there after dark. Malaria mosquitos are only out from dusk till dawn.

The CDC states otherwise. It says that they may be out at anytime and that there is a risk throughout the day.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I used to give blood regularly, but since we've started traveling more, seems unlikely that I will be able to again. First it was Belize, then that 1 yr wat was over, then we vacationed in the DR. Another year. Last year we went to Calica (Didn't even get off the ship) but Red Cross has said not for another year. Cozumel was off and on during the last couple of years too. Red Cross workers were VERY rude and argumentative about it all, so I probably won't try again until my sailing days are over. Just too much of a hassle. Now I just encourage non-sailing friends and family to donate and I offer to hand out the OJ and snacks.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I regularly donate platelets at a local blood center. (You can dontate up to 26 times a year, the product is badly needed, and you don't get zonked like a whole blood donation... As an added bonus, it's "typeless", so even those with blood types not in high demand can be assured their product won't go to waste.)

Anyway, my wife went for her appointment while I was on a business trip and she was informed that she had been deferred for Malaria risk for a whole year because we went to Honduras (Roatan) on our cruise.

I don't know if this is universal among blood centers, but a quick check online shows that it appears to be...

SirWired

Yep, it's common.....We went a few months ago to donate blood for my DH's uncle and one of the first questions we were asked was if we had visited Central or South America in the last few months. There is always a risk of malaria when traveling to these countries (my mother is from Roatan) so it is very important to always use insect spray.

Edited by Tralynn

In the past, I discovered I would be deferred for going to Belize and not just staying in Belize City.

Also, last summmer we did an Eastern Mediterranean cruise. I checked before I donated blood and was good to go, but I did get delayed in donating because the intake person could not find Kusadasi, Turkey on a map to confirm it was in a part of Turkey that did not get me deferred.

Is this a US blood donation directive? In the UK blood screening for "at risk" countries is already in place.

I believe in the US, these are Red Cross rules. I'm not sure if some agency of the US government has forced the Red Cross to adopt these rules.

I was told that I couldn't donate (in UK) after doing the Panama Canal transit cruise. I can't remeber now which ports of call that were the problem/s, but it didn't matter that I stayed on the ship, I was still not allowed to donate for a time. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Aw crap . . . that leaves me out of platelet donations for another year! I was in Costa Rica last October and got a deferment for a year as a result, thought I could resume donations in October 2010. Seriously, though, thanks for the information!

I believe in the US, these are Red Cross rules. I'm not sure if some agency of the US government has forced the Red Cross to adopt these rules.

Thanks, over here you are asked if you have visited any of the listed countries in the last x amount of time, and are told you cannot donate if you have. Not sure on time scales after a visit, but they are in place here.

My wife and I regularly donate platelets at a local blood center. (You can dontate up to 26 times a year, the product is badly needed, and you don't get zonked like a whole blood donation... As an added bonus, it's "typeless", so even those with blood types not in high demand can be assured their product won't go to waste.)

Anyway, my wife went for her appointment while I was on a business trip and she was informed that she had been deferred for Malaria risk for a whole year because we went to Honduras (Roatan) on our cruise.

I don't know if this is universal among blood centers, but a quick check online shows that it appears to be...

SirWired

Your thread has been moved to the correct forum by another Host. I have now merged your thread into the existing Sticky concerning the same topic.

Kat

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<

• 3 weeks later...

I have given gallons of blood over the years and felt good doing so yet I also travel and enjoy living my life to the fullest that I can. It's too bad they cannot or do not test for such issues but I would not stop traveling or staying at my house in Honduras because of such a thing.

• 1 month later...
Just an FYI. In the state of Florida you may not donate blood for one year after visiting Roatan due to the threat of malaria. I would imagine that the other states have similiar restrictions.

So... if you are a blood donor, go ahead and donate prior to your cruise. Thank you!

That also goes for Belize, I donate platlets, every 2 weeks. I asked if I could donate if I didn't get off the ship, as long as it docks doesn't matter. I'll be taking a year off come October.

• 2 weeks later...

In Tennessee, my husband was asked (after our last cruise) if he had gone beyond the dock in Belize. Since we had not done that, they still let him give blood.

Our next cruise goes to Roatan also. He is checking when he gives blood the next time if he can step foot off the Legend! We had just thought about a beach day anyway, but if he steps foot on land and they say he has to wait for a year, that would keep him on the ship!

DH has a rare blood type and they make sure he gives every 56 days at the hospital he works at!

I was very surprised when I went to donate blood (Florida) in 2005 and was denied because I had stopped at Labadee on a RCI cruise. RCI had kept it quite secret that we were actually stopping in Haiti.

Fast forward to 2010 - my daughter is in an RN BS program and her professor offered extra credit this term for blood donors. She has the same instructor for this term (ending July 28) and next term, extra credit is offered for both. Knowing that we're going to Roatan in September, she donated in mid-July so she will be able to donate again within three days after the new term starts for credit for the second class. Crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have hereditary hemochromatosis( to much iron in the blood) I have to donate a pint every 56 days and found out from Blood Services that you can not donate blood if you have been to Honduras,Haiti, or Mazatlan..They are all Malaria risks. You Can not donate blood for 3 months after you get back if you have gotten the shot or taken the pills as it can give you a false positive shot...at These ports of call...Stay on board take a spa day.. Do not go on shore even with mosquitoe spray .. keep yourself safe and give the gift of life..

• 6 months later...

Just FYI...

The Memorial Blood Centers of the Twin Cities continue to support the deferral of blood donations for a full year following a return from Roatan. I just tried to donate today and was deferred.

Oh, the price we pay for cruising! :-)