Wife doesn't go here, what about dancing

Lesinindy

I can ask this without fear of having to do it yet, but if I was to try and learn to dance (daughter is light afoot) before I go on the cruise, what kind do I need to learn? Now remember that I am getting old, been a rock and roll degenerate for years, but never really learned to dance. any suggestions?

Pretty much any kind of music [and pretty much any kind of dancing]. Light pop/rock/country/jazz. The list goes on. You don't need to learn anything elaborate.

I think it's so nice that you would want to learn to do dance for your wife, ( for yourself to I'm sure)...I know it's hard not to be self-concious, but trust me, people are more worried how they look dancing than what someone else is doing...You'll be fine!!

Dancing is so much less formal these days...I wouldn't worry too much! But taking a dance class with your wife ahead of time could be fun...we did it (course we don't remember it now that our wedding is over!! LOL!)

But alot of the ships also have ballroom dance classes on board, too!

Enjoy the cruise, and don't worry about dancing to your own drummer...those of us from the 70's, etc do that alot!;) :D

My husband got teased when we got home from our last cruise because everynight we spent slow dancing to romantic music from 10:30 to 12:30. There was a couple who sang and it was awesome. There was always a crowd. Good and bad dancers. He is actually taking dancing lessons for our next cruise. I am very proud of him.

My husband got teased when we got home from our last cruise because everynight we spent slow dancing to romantic music from 10:30 to 12:30. There was a couple who sang and it was awesome. There was always a crowd. Good and bad dancers. He is actually taking dancing lessons for our next cruise. I am very proud of him.

That's it. Tell him that all the dance lessons will go to waste if you miss the ship. Therefore, you have to fly in the day before. :D

I think the best time for you to "sweep her off her feet" is at the Captain's Party on the first formal night. Depending on the crowd the floor can be anything from completely empty to several couples but always plenty of room. The Orchestra will be playing, you will both be in your formals, asking her for a dance will probably make her eyes light up.

If your daughter is a good dancer ask her about this scenario, a ballroom dance, and what type of dance your DW might already know. If your wife knows how to waltz, I doubt there is an easier dance for you to learn.

I can ask this without fear of having to do it yet, but if I was to try and learn to dance (daughter is light afoot) before I go on the cruise, what kind do I need to learn? Now remember that I am getting old, been a rock and roll degenerate for years, but never really learned to dance. any suggestions?

Les, how sweet!!!!!

Anything would be fine. We are all out for a good time. And I'm sure she will appreciate what you are going to do for her.

a basic "box" step will do.. the key is to keep your right foot in between both of hers as you move right together, back together, left together, forward together so you don't step on her feet and vice versa.. as the man you should lead , so put pressure on her hands and body in the direction you want her to go! your daughter should know what i mean..also the basic waltz step is very simple..just move r to left in swooping motions,, sorta like you were dancing to devo but more subdued!! have fun.:cool:

Les,

You might want to check out college (if you are near one) non credit dance classes. They usually run 6/8 weeks, and pretty much cover basic ballroom steps in several dances. They are quite reasonable in price, as opposed to a dance studio. JUST watch out, as that is what DH and I did (for the same cruise reasons) and wound up obsessed:D. 5 years down the line we are still sometimes taking lessons and dancing EVERY Friday and Saturday night!!

Spoilt

ps...it sure make cruising nights even more fun!!

• 2 months later...
Les,

You might want to check out college (if you are near one) non credit dance classes. They usually run 6/8 weeks, and pretty much cover basic ballroom steps in several dances. They are quite reasonable in price, as opposed to a dance studio. JUST watch out, as that is what DH and I did (for the same cruise reasons) and wound up obsessed:D. 5 years down the line we are still sometimes taking lessons and dancing EVERY Friday and Saturday night!!

Spoilt

ps...it sure make cruising nights even more fun!!

I'm so glad to see this thread.Our hospital's wellness/fitness center is offering group ballroom dancing classes June,July,August and my DW asked if I would be interested.So...we are in.She is hoping there will an opportunity on our Spirit cruise next April.We are newly empty nest this month and this just might be what we need to develop a new interest for the two of us....along with cruising :D. I hope I can do this.Wish me luck!

I think the best time for you to "sweep her off her feet" is at the Captain's Party on the first formal night. Depending on the crowd the floor can be anything from completely empty to several couples but always plenty of room. The Orchestra will be playing, you will both be in your formals, asking her for a dance will probably make her eyes light up.

If your daughter is a good dancer ask her about this scenario, a ballroom dance, and what type of dance your DW might already know. If your wife knows how to waltz, I doubt there is an easier dance for you to learn.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Remember it does not have to be fancy. Just hold her close and sway!!!

(She will LOVE the holding her close part!!)

My suggestion is to take the ballroom lessons WITH your wife, its alot easier and fun if you learn the steps together. (not so easy for her if you know them and she doesnt)

I met my DH at a ballroom dance class, and dont worry about ballroom being only for certain kinds of music, you can do it to all types determined by what beat the song is. Good luck!;)

On sailings from Miami you will hear a lot of latin music...Salsa is so popular now and lots of fun.

My hubby got plastered one night on a cruise and became Mr. Salsa! It was his first try and although he doesn't remember it (nor how his pants ended up on the balcony that night!:eek: ) but he was great! Lesson to the story, have a drink or two before you plan to cut a rug to lube everything up!

The only dance you need to know on the cruise is the Macarena. Don't wait for just that song to play - go ahead and dance it to every song you here. :D

Diane

Hahaha... I'll second that!!

You can find a local dance class in your area, and tell them your going on a cruise and that they play a variety of music from the 60s to present. They will give you a lesson on several styles and enhance your own freestyle of dancing. Again there are alot of different style of people do on the ships, some old style and some new, some freestyle and some choreographed, just hang loose and do what moves you.

Archived