Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luvmyfirefly

Is Calica a good port to have a beach day?

We're going on a 4 night starting Monday with stops in Key West and Calica. We would like to do one day of walking/touring and one day at the beach for these two stops.

Am I right in assuming that Key West has more attractions to look at and that Calica would be a good choice for the beach day? (I hate to sound like the Ugly American here, but I've never heard of Calica.) Where is the best beach at that port?

Thanks!

We're going on a 4 night starting Monday with stops in Key West and Calica. We would like to do one day of walking/touring and one day at the beach for these two stops.

Am I right in assuming that Key West has more attractions to look at and that Calica would be a good choice for the beach day? (I hate to sound like the Ugly American here, but I've never heard of Calica.) Where is the best beach at that port?

Thanks!

YES!! Catch a cab to Playa del Carmen (appx $10?), 5th Ave area. There are eateries, drinkeries, and all kinds of other stuff,... and the beach (free) is short 2-3 block walk. You can get drinks from the hotels so you don't go dry :eek: (and they will come to you).

We had a blast.

You MUST catch a cab @ Calica, there is nothing there, it is an industrial port only. Playa del Carmen is great. Key West is not actually a beach town. They do have one small beach area, but Playa del Carmen is much better.

Ditto all the above, Playa del Carmen is a GORGEOUS beach! Also, this is where the ferry to Cozumel lands. You might consider that, but I think once you see the beach you'll stick right there.

Playa Del Carman is definately your beach day.

Now, "sometimes" instead of docking in Calica ... you are tendered right into Playa Del Carman. The two times we have been there...we were tendered in both times.

All this does is save you the $10 taxi fare each way.

Of course that is up to the "tender fairy". If you get tendered in, you tender right to Senor Frogs...right on the beach....we had a blast!!

We were in Calica last year on the Fascination. We did a "beach" day and it was okay. I would either do a tour to a beach resort, etc., or a tour. We thought the water speculator but had an issue with where we tried to get some lunch. Horrible and we are not fussy eaters.

If I went again, I would defintely do a tour in PDC.

My DH and I were in Calica in January and booked a fishing trip through Carnival. This was the Best trip we ever had! We were taken out to a private beach resort where our boat waited. It was Great! You have time for the beach when you finish fishing. Then a bus takes you back tothe ship.

Playa Del Carmen is a great place for a beach day. If you don't like the area near the ferry dock you can walk farther down the beach and the crowds will thin out. Plenty of shopping, drinks and food.

In my search for the perfect fajita, I came close at Las Brisas on 5th Ave. The service wasn't that friendly, but the food was good.

In my search for the perfect fajita, I came close at Las Brisas on 5th Ave. The service wasn't that friendly, but the food was good.

Question - was this an open-air cantina type place that had a bar in the middle, a thatched roof and tables scattered around where you could sit and watch the traffic go by - also had a bunch of old Mexican cowboy type pictures on the walls? We stopped at a place like this a few years back and I had a seafood enchilada with a white sauce that was AWESOME!! Been trying to find one like it in the states ever since with no luck. We're going to be in Cozumel this December and I'm planning to catch the ferry over to PDC JUST so I can get another one of those wonderful enchiladas!! PS - my avatar photo was taken there.

Question - was this an open-air cantina type place that had a bar in the middle, a thatched roof and tables scattered around where you could sit and watch the traffic go by - also had a bunch of old Mexican cowboy type pictures on the walls? We stopped at a place like this a few years back and I had a seafood enchilada with a white sauce that was AWESOME!! Been trying to find one like it in the states ever since with no luck. We're going to be in Cozumel this December and I'm planning to catch the ferry over to PDC JUST so I can get another one of those wonderful enchiladas!! PS - my avatar photo was taken there.

Sounds like the place. I don't remember the cowboy pictures though. This is close to the bus stop and only 200 yards or so from the ferry dock.