Fuel Surcharge For Canadians?

Ok - need some help with this please.

After doing a lot of reading I am more confused than ever..

I booked my RCCL cruise last June thru a Can co (I live in Canada) in US $.

Now RCCL has sent me my final billing with a fuel surcharge listed and yet I am reading that some folks that are in the same circumstances I am in, didn't have to pay and yet another one said because even though they are Canucks they paid in US $ (so what the heck difference wld that make anyway?) and that means means they have to pay it..

Got 2 diff. answers from 2 diff RCCL reps as well...One said YES & one said they didn't know :(

OK - sure would appreciate the answer to: - DO I HAVE TO PAY IT?

Thanks in advance..!!

My understanding is that the currency used didn't matter and that if a Cdn booked with a Cdn TA or directly with RC before Nov.16/07 even if they had not paid the cruise off in full by that date, they were not to be charged the FS. A similar protection with a later start date also applies to bookings from many other countries. It has to do with consumer laws some provinces and countries have so RC instead of trying to determine where these apply simply stated that anyone from these countries didn't have to pay the FS if their booking met certain conditions.

Looking at the RC web site FS information, it states the following. Just make sure the Cdn company you used didn't somehow booked your cruise thru an American partner. If this applies in your case you need to contact the Cdn company you booked thru to have it removed as normally RC requires you make any requests or changes thru the TA you booked with. Just insist that your TA rep address this. Are you pass the final payment date which places your booking in the penalty stage if cancelled? If not indicate you will cancel if this isn't corrected, so the TA knows it might lose your booking.

For Canadian reservations, the fuel supplement only applies to reservations made on or after November 16, 2007, for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008.

For US and Canadian reservations, the fuel supplement is $5.00(USD/CAN) per guest, per day. The supplement applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom, up to a maximum of $70.00 (USD/CAN) per guest per sailing.

For Europe, the Middle East and Africa reservations, the fuel supplement applies to new reservations made on or after 10 December 2007, for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008. The amount of the supplement per guest per day appears in the left hand column of the table below and the maximum amount of the fuel supplement per guest per sailing appears in the right hand column. The supplement only applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom.

For Latin America, Caribbean and Asia and Pacific region bookings, the fuel supplement applies to all bookings created on or after February 11, 2008, for sailings that depart on or after April 15, 2008. The fuel supplement is $5.00 (USD) per guest, per day. The supplement applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom, up to a maximum of $70.00 (USD) per guest, per sailing.[1]

A family member (Canadian) who booked directly with RCI BEFORE Nov. 16 in US funds had this reversed on her invoice as they had the fuel surcharge showing.

Some time after she wanted to give her booking to a US based Travel Agent and called RCI to have it confirmed whether she would then have to pay the surcharge if she did this. The agent was not sure (okay that doesn't surprise me) and promised to check with her supervisor, took the phone number to call back. She did indeed call back in a very timely manner and left a message including her name saying "yes go ahead and transfer the booking to the US Travel agent and she would NOT have to pay the surchargebecause she is Canadian. The family member has this message on her phone voice mail and her US TA is following up on this at the moment. Her cruise is in May.

I understood the policy as robtulipe did...

I also have a booking I had made directly with RCI before Nov 16... the surcharge appeared at first on my account and then when I checked awhile later it had been reversed without having to ask or direct RCI to do so.

If you are booked with a US TA you are not going to get the surcharge reversed. You have no protection using an American TA. You are not covered by any Canadian laws. If you booked with a Canadian TA or directly with RCL prior to November 16 you do not pay the surcharge.

If you are booked with a US TA you are not going to get the surcharge reversed. You have no protection using an American TA. You are not covered by any Canadian laws. If you booked with a Canadian TA or directly with RCL prior to November 16 you do not pay the surcharge.

This is my understanding also but the OP said they booked thru a Cdn company stating "I booked my RCCL cruise last June thru a Can co (I live in Canada) in US $" so that shouldn't be a concern here.

Emmy situation is more complex with the transfer to a US TA, probably to get OBCs they offer. I know others have report on this board that when they tried after Nov.16th to get a lower price offered for the cruise they booked, even if they were exempt from the FS before, it came into play as it was now part of the new pricing.

This is my understanding also but the OP said they booked thru a Cdn company stating "I booked my RCCL cruise last June thru a Can co (I live in Canada) in US $" so that shouldn't be a concern here.

Emmy situation is more complex with the transfer to a US TA, probably to get OBCs they offer. I know others have report on this board that when they tried after Nov.16th to get a lower price offered for the cruise they booked, even if they were exempt from the FS before, it came into play as it was now part of the new pricing.

Right you are - I didn't realize she was booked through a Canadian company. She should not have been charged then and her TA is obligated to get it removed.

Archived