Itinerary Changes Due To Hurricane Jeanne

CruiseFever

The reports are starting to come in, beginning with the Caribbean Princess. Post what we hear so all our information from all our various sources (news, Princess, Passengers Onboard right now) can be compiled in one place for all members to see

At a press conference a little bit ago Mayor Ilene Lieberman announced that Port Everglades would close at 3:00 AM on Saturday to all marine traffic. That will force the ships to stay out at sea and to stay a safe way away from the approaching hurricane.

News from the Princess website (finally):

September 24, 2004 -- Updated 1:30 pm PDT

Princess Cruises is closely monitoring the current and projected path of Hurricane Jeanne in order to ensure the safety and comfort of our passengers and crew, which is always our foremost priority. The following is an update of Princess' sailings in the region.

Caribbean Princess Voyage B439 -- Originally Scheduled to Arrive on Saturday, September 25

Because Port Everglades will be closed on Saturday, September 25 and Sunday, September 26, Caribbean Princess is expected to arrive from its current sailing Monday, September 27, in the morning.

Princess is currently re-booking air flights for those passengers who made their air arrangements through Princess. These new flights will be communicated to passengers onboard, once they are confirmed.

Princess is currently making every effort to advise all travel agents with passengers booked of the itinerary change, and advising them to re-schedule the air flights for those passengers who have made independent flight arrangements.

<LI>Passengers onboard Caribbean Princess will be able to use the internet and phone services, on a complimentary basis, to make alternate travel arrangements and to advise family members, as needed.

Caribbean Princess Voyage B440 -- Originally Scheduled to Depart on Saturday, September 25

Because of the delay returning to Port Everglades, this cruise is now scheduled to depart on Monday, September 27 at 10 pm.

<LI>As the ship's sailing schedule has been shortened by two days, the itinerary has been changed to a 5-day Western Caribbean route to provide passengers with the optimum port experience. Unfortunately, Caribbean Princess' delayed departure will not allow the ship to make its original calls, and we regret any disappointment this may cause. The new itinerary will be:

PortDateArrivalDepartureFort Lauderdale Mon 27 Sep10 pmAt SeaTues 28 SepCosta MayaWed 29 Sep8 am5 pmCozumelThurs 30 Sep7 am6 pmAt SeaFri 1 OctPort EvergladesSat 2 Oct 7 am

Passengers and their travel agents are currently being contacted to advise them of this change, and are being advised to make alternative flight arrangements. Passengers who have booked their air through Princess will automatically be rescheduled on new flights arriving in Fort Lauderdale Monday, September 27.

Because of the change in itinerary, passengers will receive a 30% refund on their cruise fare. In addition, each passenger will receive a discount on a future Princess cruise. This credit will be $100 for an inside cabin; $150 for an outside cabin; $200 for a balcony cabin; or $250 for a minisuite or suite.

Passengers will be responsible for the cost of their own incidentals relating to travel to the ship.

<LI>If passengers are unable to continue with their plans to sail on this voyage, they may choose between a future cruise credit and a full refund. We are continuing to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Jeanne and will post any updates to this information on our web site, www.princess.com.

5-DAY WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE FROM ONLY $299!*

Due to a change in our Caribbean Princess® itinerary

caused by Hurricane Jeanne, we now have space available

on a 5-day cruise leaving this MONDAY at an amazing deal!

Roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale

Ports of Call: Fort Lauderdale, Costa Maya, and Cozumel

Fares are:

$299 Interior

$349 Outside-Obstructed (Categories E-G)

$399 Outside-Unobstructed (Categories C-EE)

$499 Balcony

$699 Mini Suite

Departs THIS Monday, Sep 27, 2004

Promotion code: RFB

Offer expires THIS Sunday, Sep 26, 2004 at 5:30 PM PST

Contact your Travel Agent or call us TODAY at 1-800 PRINCESS

Cruise News Daily is reporting tonight that three of Florida's cruise ports will close due to this hurricane. At this time (and they're sitting on this story all weekend, updating info on their web site as needed) Port Canaveral is closing Saturday at 1:00 PM until sometime Monday or Tuesday. Miami and Port Everglades are closing from about Noon Saturday until sometime Sunday afternoon.

CNN is right on top of this story too as usual with detailed information available and updated regularly along with a current projected path such as this one

jeanne.9.24.11pm.gif

We are scheduled for today's now Monday's departure and us course are very disappointed that our cruise it getting shortened but we are more upset at the offering Princess has made.

If just a few weeks ago they could offer a 50% refund and now they are offering us 30% :( ... then no shipboard credit or any other incentive... at this point we are going but maybe it would be better to cancel and get the full refund then rebook at the dicounted rate...

If they upped the anty or gave us what the other passengers got we wouldn't have any problems, since we are down here all ready...

If anyone else on our sailing, hurricane chasers where are you???, has gotten any better deal please post!!!! :eek:

Hi Kathi and Penny~glad to see your posts. Wish we could get more Hurricane Chasers on line to see where everyone is at and how they are doing.

Penny~no better deals here. Refunds should be consistent! Princess has proven that wrong.

We have a good many of our group stranded in FLL. Candi and Jerry had to evacuate the Marriott Marina and rent a car and head west. So far they are the only ones I know of that had to evacuate, but I am sure more are to follow.

Can anyone confirm that Port Everglades knew Thurs that they would be closed Sat and Sun except for vehicular traffic?

We were not notified until 7:30 pm. Fri night. We were just getting ready to load the luggage in the car and I thought I would just check my emails one last time before leaving. I had one email...from Princess...:eek:

You guys take care and stay safe. Post when you get a chance.

We will see you all Mon afternoon, unless there is another delay. If that happens, we will more than likely cancel.

God Bless...

~Kathi~

Faithpath,

I posted to these boards yesterday after watching the mayor of broward county, Ilene Leiberman announcing on TV live at 11 am that Port everglades would close saturday at 3 am, and she told cruise passengers to call their airlines and cruise ships. The problem was that Princess did not post their update until later, and even the Port Everglades web site didn;t announce the closing like the mayor did. I myself believed the Mayor after all she probably is definitely in the know. There were some skeptical other posters though.

This was the first alert on the port everglades website!@ noon on friday!!

Hurricane Jeanne Update

09/24/2004 12:00:27 PM

The U.S. Coast Guard has raised the Port Readiness to Condition Three (Port Condition X-RAY).

No operations are prohibited at this time.

It is anticipated that the USCG Captain of the Port will stop inbound ship traffic at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 24. All ship traffic -- inbound and outbound -- is anticipated to stop as of 6 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 25. However, Port Everglades will remain open landside for vehicular traffic.

NOTE THE WORD ANTICIPATED!!!!

The port closes per order from the coast guard. Yesterday at lunch when I looked it was:

09/24/2004 12:14:41 PM The U.S. Coast Guard has raised the Port Readiness to Condition Three (Port Condition X-RAY).

No operations are prohibited at this time.

They close the port when they expect tropical storm force winds in 24 hours. I personally feel that particular handwriting was on the wall on Thursday that they would have to close Friday pm or Sat am. If you look at the weather data, including the area of TS force winds from the center, then even changes in the track would not have made much difference. That's just my opinion (see my explanation on prev. page on your roll call thread.) I don't know who posted Thursday, but there certainly was no announcement then. The CB captain had apparently made that decision though, as according to passengers on board, they turned south on thursday bet 2-3pm away from Bahamas. Note princess site way behind in info.

I know this is frustrating, hang in there. I wish princess would be more forthcoming and more consistent. I won't comment on 'fair' because that is so subjective and tends to upset a lot of folks on the boards for some reason.

Thanks guys...

Too bad that so many, just from our roll call, left for Fl "after" port had decided to close. Wish word could get out faster. It just seems so sad that now so many more are now stranded in Fl. Our ship alone brings over 3,000 passengers to Fl. My concern along with the safety issues, is the extra burden this must put on the state of Fl to evacuate and provide shelters when needed for everyone. Fl has their hands full with their own residents.

My thoughts and prayers remain with all of you in Fl. I pray that God will keep his hedge of protection around you all. You certainly have been tested to the limits.

Take care and stay safe...

God Bless...

~Kathi~

Just talked to our TA. Princess won't let us cancel and re-book!!!

Kathi,

According to their press release on Friday you have an option to cancel and rebook. Here is part of that release. Have a great time if you do decide to go.

PortDateArrivalDepartureFort Lauderdale Mon 27 Sep10 pmAt SeaTues 28 SepCosta MayaWed 29 Sep8 am5 pmCozumelThurs 30 Sep7 am6 pmAt SeaFri 1 OctPort EvergladesSat 2 Oct 7 am

Passengers and their travel agents are currently being contacted to advise them of this change, and are being advised to make alternative flight arrangements. Passengers who have booked their air through Princess will automatically be rescheduled on new flights arriving in Fort Lauderdale Monday, September 27.

Because of the change in itinerary, passengers will receive a 30% refund on their cruise fare. In addition, each passenger will receive a discount on a future Princess cruise. This credit will be $100 for an inside cabin; $150 for an outside cabin; $200 for a balcony cabin; or $250 for a minisuite or suite.

Passengers will be responsible for the cost of their own incidentals relating to travel to the ship.

<LI>If passengers are unable to continue with their plans to sail on this voyage, they may choose between a future cruise credit and a full refund. We are continuing to closely monitor the path of Hurricane Jeanne and will post any updates to this information on our web site, www.princess.com.

Ann

Well we are offically running from Hurricane Jeanne. This has to be the nicest hurricane shelter ever built. It is a bit tense on the ship due to people not being able to get a phone line to reschedule their flights. We are still working on ours. But all in all if I have to get caught in a hurricane this is the best way to do it. On Thursday we had rough seas heading toward Nassau, but the captain turned us around and we have had smooth sailing ever since. We are told we should be arriving in FLL on monday morning and they have offered the above posted prices for those that want to stay aboard. Again some stress related to life after we dock, but they are treating us very well and it won't do any good to complain. Will try to post more later.

Ilise

Archived