• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

RCCL Customer Service is TERRIBLE!!!!!

We are booked on the 9/26 Mariner - which is now delayed to leave Port Canveral on Monday at 9PM. We received a call from a rep telling us the details of the delay and our options. Option 1) stick with the cruise, get $250 onboard credit and 50% off next cruise. option 2) get a credit. My hubby was on the phone with the rep. He asked is the credit a refund... she said yes. He asked again - she said yes.

I called back awhile later to get a confimation # for the credit and to find out when it would be posted to our account. They gave me a hard time. I asked to speak with a supervisor.. who called the girl that my hubby spoke with. Guess what... SHE DENIED that she said REFUND. Of course she did... it was her bootie on the line.

In the end, they will not do anything for us. Basically they are sending us a Letter of Credit. That just stinks... I am truly upset about this. This was to be my first cruise for our anniversary and this is the customer service i get. It stinks. What is worse is that we now have this credit that we can only use with them.

Now we have to figure out where to go on vacation... somewhere stress free I hope. I hope all of you have a better experience with RCCL and that you do not get a LIAR for a customer service representative.

We had the same experience with the Explorer on 9/5/04. We took the $250.00 and 50% off our next cruise. The caveat to the 50% off, the way I understand it, is they send a credit to your TA for 50% of what you paid for your cruise.

We enjoyed our cruise although 1 day less but would do it again in a minute.

Ira

PS: we had insurance so had other options as well

I think you got some person that had no real understanding of what she was reading from a computer screen.

Why don't you just go ahead and take the cruise. You get a $250 credit and 50% off another cruise, all for missing one day? Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

Here is what RCCL posted:

"Mariner of the Seas, normally scheduled to depart Sunday on a seven-night sailing, will delay its return from its current sailing and its departure for its next sailing until Monday, September 27. The ship, which may arrive midday or late afternoon, will delay its departure until 9 p.m. local time Monday, and sail a modified itinerary that will end Sunday, October 3. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive an onboard credit of $250 per stateroom and a certificate for a 50 percent discount on a future Royal Caribbean sailing of seven nights or less, which departs on or before December 15, 2005, excluding holidays. Guests booked on this sailing who cancel their cruise will receive a letter of credit for the amount paid for the cruise portion of their sailing. Travel agent commissions will be protected. Due to the uncertainty of Hurricane Jeanne's path, this itinerary is subject to change. "

We had the same experience with the Explorer on 9/5/04. We took the $250.00 and 50% off our next cruise. The caveat to the 50% off, the way I understand it, is they send a credit to your TA for 50% of what you paid for your cruise.

We enjoyed our cruise although 1 day less but would do it again in a minute.

Ira

PS: we had insurance so had other options as well

If I could get there, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Sorry you are upset,and are having your trip de-railed.We were unboard Rhapsody last week,only made one of our scheduled stops,had 2 sub. ports.

There were 4 weddings onboard,and 2 on-land in Key West.that were completly uprooted!

Everyone involved from travelers,to ships crew,to CSR's ,agents and most of all those in the path of all these storms are under a great deal of stress. I think it would benefit everyone,if people really understood their cruise contract,read it over many times before choosing this type of vacation,especially during this time of the year.The last thing anyone needs right now is to be yelled at by an irrate customer,who has not done proper research,or does not understand the industry.

Also your first option..............(just to get this straight)

7 day Mariner cruise becomes a 6 day Mariner cruise with a $250 shipboard credit AND you get a 50% off for another cruise in 2005?????????

I see you are from Illinois and maybe you can't get to FLA, but that really is a pretty good option number one if I am reading that correctly.

Also your first option..............(just to get this straight)

7 day Mariner cruise becomes a 6 day Mariner cruise with a $250 shipboard credit AND you get a 50% off for another cruise in 2005?????????

I see you are from Illinois and maybe you can't get to FLA, but that really is a pretty good option number one if I am reading that correctly.

Very good compensation on RCI's part. While I am sorry that someones vacation was disrupted this is not that bad. Only one day less, the on board credit and then 50% off a future cruise. Sounds pretty darn good to me.

My cruise had problems over Labor Day with Francis. Carnival took very good care of us also. I always have to laugh over the ones that book during the height of hurricane season and then try to turn the tables on the cruise line when a storm actually does come about.

I would have liked the customer service rep to admit that she told us we would get a refund, and then get the refund... since that is what we were told we would get.

Here is why I am cancelling:

1) In my mind we are really missing a day and a half of the cruise. We are not departing until 9PM on Monday... when we were supposed to depart at 5PM on Sunday. Originally I was planning on getting on board around noon on Sunday to explore the ship (like many other cruisers recommended), I am not sure when we will be able to board on Monday.

2) If Jeanne does damage to Port Canaveral (like Ivan did) and the Mariner cannot dock on Monday because the depth of the channel (or whatever you call it) is less than 35 feet... then what happens? I know an option is to then dock in Miami.

I was really just looking for a relaxing vacation with my husband to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. I just would rather change our plans and be certain that we have a place to vacation. I do understand that no everyone would take that option, but it is the right thing for us.

I also admit that I was a bit heated about the whole ordeal. It is just hard when you are new to crusing, you are told one thing, then told another, and did not receive an apology for the confusion.

We will give cruising a try again in the future (esp since we have a credit :p ). I will just be sure to know when hurricane season is, and to avoid it. Maybe we will try Alaska... do they have hurricanes there?

Anyways, thanks for the comments... and sorry for flipping out.

Danny:

I think what they wanted was an immediate credit back to their credit card......at least that is what I am reading into this???:confused:

It usually takes up to four weeks for the cruise lines accounting department to issue credits anyway when one has to cancel. Sometimes it can happen sooner.

Hey guys, don't give her such a hard time. I am also booked on this sailing, and although I went for option #1, I certainly understand why some people might just want to bag the whole thing all together. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and this is a very stressful way to start your vacation off. I know that RC doesn't have any control over the weather, and yes I agree that it must be hard for them to try and accomodate everyone, but it is still very unnerving to have to keep changing your flights and changing your hotel reservations etc.. and not be sure if you're ever going to even make it on the boat. I do agree that RC is being generous and I am glad because it does take some of the stress off of me. However, I can also understand CallaLily being upset if they thought they were getting a refund only to be told no.

Everyone is on the edge with the storms and sadly, when they come one right after another, one's nerves do get raw.

All the cruise industries have been dealing with daily 'emergencies' for three weeks now. I am sure their customer service people cringe each time the phone rings!

What you had was a mis-communication with the operator. Refund, credit, at this point it's moot.

Try and make the best of it. If I were you, and the chance was still available. GO, really, you'll have a wonderful time.

I too sailed during hurricane Ivan and yes, our cruise itinerary was changed but it was a wonderful cruise. Oh I know it can be upsetting but really, these people are doing the very best they can for you and your safety really is their first priority. When you settle down and think about you really wouldn't want to have it any other way. And I might add, we got nothing for the diversion and no one really cared! If you can judge a cruise by the comments overheard during the customs and disembarking process, in which you have tons of time to hang out with a lot of people, it seemed like everyone had an outstanding time and not one person cared that our ship didn’t go to Key West and Grand Caymans.

Fyi, in your cruise docs are all the fine print that they may, at any reason, at any time, without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate any scheduled sailing or port and shall nto be liable for any loss incurred to passengers, yada yada yada..

That's the contract you agreed to when you accepted the booking so considering the contract, they owed you nothing but made you an extremely generous offer anyway.

Hundreds of people would run you over to get this offer!! Take it and go with a smile.

Orangecallalily - They lose money everytime they have to change anything. Please remember it isn't RCI that is making this happen. The Coast guard made them close the port and after Hurricane Charlie, Frances, and Ivan they are trying to give you as much notice as possible while also trying to keep everyone safe.

I would call back and go, not only will you get a % off of a future cruise but you will have $250.00 of their money on your sign and sail card to spend. It is always much more fun to spend someone else's money.

RCI really isn't trying to be difficult they can only do what they are told. With each storm the rules have been a little different depending on the number of days missed. I'd be confused too.

Congrats on your anniversary, 5 days onboard ship is better that 5 days on shore.

Have a safe vacation whereever you decide to go.

This is Hurricaine season and while this season is particularly active, its one of the things that happens at this time of year....does insurance cover this? I am not sure but the reason traveling at this time of year is slightly less expensive is because it is uncertain. Any one who does a wedding using the ship as transportation as opposed to having it on the ship is making a big mistake, in my opinion....

RCI's offer to disrupted cruises is better than Carnival's. IMHO. Just read the offers on both sites. Some of Carnival's ships have went from 7 day sailings to 5 days. The offer is 30% off their cruise rate and a $100 ship board credit per person (I think per person). Really not trying to start a bashing of one line over another just thought the OP might want to know what other lines are doing as a comparison.

Wish I could have the option, just think of the money that you will save on the next cruise, go and have a great anniversary with your husband. $250. in spending money, on them, you can buy xmas gifts, or things on board for you and your hubby for your anniversary.....enjoy.

I just booked a cruise for the end of Sept. 2005. Am well aware of the season, but can't change my birthday. Will just take our chances. Some years very few storms. I would still take the cruise, shipboard credit, and 50% off next cruise. Two vacations for the price of one (well almost). I'll only have my 60th birthday once.

Joyce

Several years ago I booked and paid for the flight to Vancouver for my son's honeymoon cruise to Alaska. The airline cancelled the flight, had NONE to replace it ( and the next flight they had would arrive after the ship had departed) and it took a month to get a refund, no other compensation. They were going on the cruise the day after the wedding, so not to many options were available, as it was they had to leave NY at 5 am.

And I had to drive to an airport to process the refund. Since I had also used the same credit card to book our own cruise two weeks after my son's it was maxed out. I had to use another credit card to buy them a flight on a different airline. Was I pissed? Sure, If I had an offer anything like yours I would have been overjoyed!

I think I am having bouts of temporary insanity today! Well, thanks for all of your advice... we decided to go ahead and risk it and take the cruise.

AGAIN... please forgive me for losing it. I have been planning this for so long, I am just a bit frazzled with all the news, changes, and unknowns.

I AM SO GOING TO NEED A STRONG DRINK when I board. Good thing we have a credit.. the bar bill is going to be large! ;)

Archived