RCCL Customer Service is TERRIBLE!!!!!

[QUOTE] [b]Do I need extra insurance?[/b]
Because our liability for loss or damage is limited by the Cruise Ticket Contract, we recommend that all guests check their own insurance coverage. For greater peace of mind, you can also purchase a CruiseCare® Vacation Protection Plan, which offers medical, travel, and baggage coverage for the duration of your cruise vacation. [/QUOTE][Source: [url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/purchaseCruiseFaq.do#3"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/purchaseCruiseFaq.do#3[/url]]

They didn't say anything about that when we called. Anyhow, not a big deal for me now, there is another thread with someone saying they didn't hear about insurance (thread: is it to late to buy insurance). Well, these boards have helped for the future.

Also, though,... My wife owns a business. She needs to carry insurance to cover any losses including customer loss of income due to acts of nature. If she doesn't provide her contracted service for any reason she loses the money, not the customer. I suppose the cost of insurance could be built into the price, but then people would complain about that too.

[quote name='frayedend']I suppose the cost of insurance could be built into the price, but then people would complain about that too.[/QUOTE][i]Precisely[/i] right, and indeed every market decides where the risk is to be carried: either on the supplier side, the customer side, or some balance between the two. Indeed, even within a market there could be segments where this line falls differently. In the mainstream cruise line sector (Carnival, RCCL, etc.), the push for low fares results in the situation we face today.

Glad to read you're making the most of the situation. Have a great time!

OrangeCallaLily,

I'm so glad you decided to go on the cruise. Everything will work out and you guys will have a great cruise. The Captains are so qualified for these kinds of things. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. Go and enjoy and remember why you're going to celebrate your Anniversary. Once on the ship you'll have a blast. And that 50% off your next cruise will be a wonderful Anniversary present.

God Bless and Happy Anniversary :)
Linda

I was set to sail on the NOS on 9-4-04,due to Frances,the sailing was delayed until 9-6-04. That was fine,it was our first cruise,it was only shortened by two days and we received a $500 onboard credit,and the 50% on a future cruise. Anywho,everyone I spoke to was very nice,but one would give you one answer,and I would call back and get a different answer. My questions were not hurricane related or things that could change at a momemts notice,but questions that could only have one answer. Good luck,IMO,you should just go on the cruise,and get the onboard credit and discount on a future cruise. When we finally got on the ship,we had a marvelous time,and are booked on cruises with Royal Caribbean in May and November 2005.

[quote name='frayedend']They didn't say anything about that when we called. Anyhow, not a big deal for me now, there is another thread with someone saying they didn't hear about insurance (thread: is it to late to buy insurance). Well, these boards have helped for the future.

Also, though,... My wife owns a business. She needs to carry insurance to cover any losses including customer loss of income due to acts of nature. If she doesn't provide her contracted service for any reason she loses the money, not the customer. I suppose the cost of insurance could be built into the price, but then people would complain about that too.[/QUOTE]Yes, they would.

And people would buy the cheaper cruises from the lines that didn't include insurance, and then complain about the fact that they didn't get refunded their money when the people on that other cruiseline did.

Calla Lily,

When I was young and relatively newly married like you, I tended to get very upset about snafus in my life like you did. I vented A LOT, as my poor husband can attest. It can be frustrating and if you let these difficulties get you too worked up, it can actually ruin the first few days of the vacation.

Go into your cruise KNOWING that the process of flying in, checking in, possibly getting rerouted or having your embarking or debarking port changed, is ABSOLUTELY going to be a total pain in the rear. Just keep taking deep breaths and think about your first cocktail on the deck as you watch the sun shimmer off the beautiful water. Then just relax and don't worry whether or not you make your ports or if everything goes perfectly (it won't). Just remember you are on a beautiful ship on the ocean with the man you love, and you'll be sure to have a wonderful time.

Once I finally accepted that traveling to and from my vacation destination was going to be full of little (and sometimes big) wrinkles regardless of how upset or not I got about it, I totally changed my ways of reacting to adversity. Now, when things go smoothly, I'm pleasantly surprised, but if not, it's just something to grin and bear until I'm settled in at my destination with my double whatever. I'm a much happier person now, as my relieved husband can attest.

Have a great time!

Lily, I returned last Sun. from the 9-nite Voyager cruise, and I wondered as we neared the 9/10 date if there would be some snafu due to hurricane uncertainties (I definitely DO NOT deal well with uncertainty), and at that time my first choice would be a full refund to my credit card and just forget about the whole thing. So I understand your dilemma. In our case, we didn't even have to worry about air travel, as we sailed from Bayonne, NJ, and one of the issues from the beginning was to avoid airports if possible.

But it would be unthinkable now to have missed that marvelous cruise experience, even though the itinerary was changed due to Ivan. There is no vacation like a cruise for relaxation, pampering, and FUN. With your onboard credit you might consider some of those marvelous spa treatments, about which I've heard so many raves on these boards, especially the scalp and shoulder massages!!

Best wishes on your anniversary, and may you have many more years of joy together. This cruise experience will be one you'll remember, including the hassles you've endured to get there! ML :)

I had to laugh when I first read this post (and please, do not take offense, this is just my humble opinion).......a group of us were scheduled to go on the mariner 9/5 (two from calif and 10 from rhode island/mass. area)....when frances came into play, i didn't sleep for a week and didn't know what to expect. we, like most people, had plans to fly down the day before and stay in the cocoa beach area and sail out on sunday. well, mother nature had another plan. from friday afternoon UNTIL monday night, rccl kept changing the port, etc. everytime rccl made a change, we had to juggle 10 peoples itinerary PLUS flights, etc. believe me when i tell you, we had so many different scenarios going because of all the changes and I was the cruise director! In addition, the orlando airport was closed from friday through monday!! also, six of the people cruising had NEVER been on a real vacation and had been looking forward to the cruise ALL year PLUS, they were my husband's family---yikes!----S-T-R-E-S-S!..one couple dropped out on monday night (who could blame them) and the rest of us went....we flew into orlando, took a long bus ride to miami, got on the ship around 8pm, and started sailing at 10pm on tuesday night...we really only had 4 full days on the ship and were off at 6:30am on sunday morning...back in the bus up to orlando and then home.....but i do have to say, we had a ball--went by way too fast--certainly enjoyed the credit. now, because of the 50% off next year, we ARE ALL going again (not that we had planned on it, but for that price, you are crazy not to)...so, it did work out....but, i was ready to throw in the towel and my husband begged me to do what i could so his family could get to go....it wasn't easy, but we did it....plus, we were all set to do one thing when RCCL at 3pm the day before CHANGED again! ....so, be prepared for more changes but try and go with the flow.....we all figured it was better to be on the cruise then to be home....once we sailed, we had the smoothest sail ever!...there's always next year! and yes, i would re-book again during hurricane season...we always have and this was the first time something like this ever happened....i have a friend who says never during hurricane season, well, i say never during the winter due to snow storms and blizzards...to each their own.

I'm so sorry that this has all started out so stressfully for you; I can only imagine your frustration during this process. Now that you've made the decision to go, I'm sure you will have a great time--glass in hand waving goodbye to all of us left on the dock :(

Have fun :)

I have learned, from the school of hard knocks, that you cannot trust verbal advice, especially from a random agent on the other end of the phone at a large company. I always ask that they send an e-mail which verifies the information, or a fax. When they are asked to put their advice in writing they suddenly become much more specific about details. The days of businesses standing behind what employees tell customers are over. It's all about the contract, and cruise contracts are very specific.

Be happy RCCL is being that generous. We were on the Sep 12 Mariner cruise. We were bused from Port Canaveral to Miami (a 3-5 hour ride) on an non-air/conditioned bus without a working bathroom that stunk. Our compensation: $0 zero... zip. [I](please don't flame me. I understand they fulfilled their obligation and owe us nothing)[/I]

$250 and 50% off your next cruise - I would be thrilled!

[quote name='OrangeCallaLily']We are booked on the 9/26 Mariner - which is now delayed to leave Port Canveral on Monday at 9PM.

Now we have to figure out where to go on vacation... somewhere stress free I hope. I hope all of you have a better experience with RCCL and that you do not get a LIAR for a customer service representative.[/QUOTE]
Sorry your plans have changed. Did you think that possibly because you were booked in the middle of hurricane season and the week you are planning to go there is a hurricane and maybe that is why they call it hurricane season?

I'm sorry to sound rude, but it breaks my heart to think of all the people who are losing their homes, their lives, ect, and you are worried about losing a few hours or a day.

It sounds like RCCL was trying to compensate for the inconvience, if only you would try to understand they are looking out for the safety of others, and not just at your vacation.

Try February or March for a cruise---have never had bad weather at that time.

[QUOTE=Kami's pal]

Glad you chose to take the $250 credit and the 50% off the next cruise. I say you're lucky. Count your blessings. You have your husband to celebrate with. :D[/QUOTE]
I have to wonder---because we have never sailed during the summer months, or hurricane season. I would assume that $125 credit per person is not a bad way to go, along with the 50 % off a future cruise. I know it depends on inside/outside, balcony, suite, ect.................but could this have turned into an extremely good deal? I wonder how much rooms go for during hurricane season.

Well, maybe. If there are only 2 people in a stateroom it's a good deal. If there are more, then it isn't really that good. Doing by stateroom doesn't seem all that fair, though I can't think of a better way since 3rd and 4th passengers cost less. But basically, if 4 adults book together and they split the total cost of the cruise, 250 it isn't much of a deal for missing a day and a half.

The 50% more than makes up for it if you can take the cruise in the next year. Not everyone can do that. It would be better if they gave 2 years or 3, or 10... ;)

"Try February or March for a cruise---have never had bad weather at that time"......

Well, for those of us that live up North and deal with blizzards every winter,believe me when I tell you I think it's less of a risk to go during Hurricane season then Dec-April(yes we got 11 in of snow end of March-beginning of April before). And the summer is out for me because I can't get a week of from my job june-august.

maybe we just get a lot of snow here in the Pocono Mountains of the Northeast, but the last 2 times we had a nor'easter I couldn't leave my house(unless I walked)for a week. They were literally digging out the streets with a backhoe and a dumptruck. Schools and most businesses were closed for the week. This was the 2nd week of March. All you could see of my car was the very top of the roof.....

Anyway, I'm not here to squabble over weather, my point is when someone says to go at a different time, maybe their situation doesn't allow them to. Everyone's situation is different

Sorry for your bad luck but it could be worse- you could live in Florida like me and have the hurricance threats and then damage. I think that RCC is doing the best they can and that they have been trying to satisfy their customers as best as they can.

Hi all! Sitting in our hotel room in Clearwater. We flew into Tampa yesterday from chicago - we were the last flight into Flordia from Chicago yesterday and that was at noon.

Clearwater was supposed to be clear, but now we are in the hurricane track! :eek: Some folks lost power in Tampa already... so I will keep this short.

Thanks for all your posts. I never said that I do not feel bad for all the people in FL and the effects of the hurricane... all are in my prayers. I also realize that I booked during hurricane season, I am fully aware of that. My reason and complaint that caused me to post this was that we were called by RCCL and the customer service rep offered us a refund. It was just poor communication on information. Then when we called to find out when we would see our credit to our credit card, we were told that they only give letters of credit for future cruises. Anyways... all is good, just explaining why I posted originally.

Fortunately, we do have cruise insurance. I just pray for all folks in FL and their safety during this hurricane.

I will keep you posted on the situation, assuming we still have power in our hotel!

For all of you who think the present offers from RCI are adequate compensation, consider the following:

We are sitting in a hotel room in Miami waiting for the arrival of the NOS on Monday. We are being offered a 5-day cruise instead of the 7-day cruise. We are also offered $500 per cabin on-board credit and 50% off a future cruise. Here's how it boils down:

1. We arrived on Friday, Sept. 24 in Miami. We are a family group of 10. I am paying for everyone. We have two staterooms -- a junior suite and a family oceanview stateroom. So, our credit on-board will be $1,000. That sounds like a lot until you realize it has cost me $350 per night at the hotel we're staying at for each of the two nights we weren't on the ship, plus $200 per day, conservatively, to feed our group for the 2 days we weren't on the ship. Total: $1100 spent. So, the $1,000 on-board credit is, at best, a wash. No particular benefit there.

2. 50% off on another cruise. I've been on hold for hours with RCI customer service. Have been told numerous different things. First, I was told it had to be used for another Caribbean cruise. Last night I was told it could be used for any cruise of 7 days or less anywhere in the world. I demanded they put that in my reservation record and give me a print-out when we get on the ship. I'm now on the phone to make them e-mail that to me as well. Also, I was told last night that I had to book the next cruise in exactly the same stateroom categories in order to make use of the credit. I told them that was ridiculous. A supervisor told me that was incorrect and I can use the credit on any stateroom category. Also on the phone demanding that in writing. The one thing I do seem to have determined is it is a dollar credit -- that is, take 1/2 of the amount paid for the current NOS cruise (excluding taxes), and apply that dollar amount to the best price you can get on your next cruise. No one told me you have to book with the same travel agent. Just found that out reading this posting chain. So, I guess it's the best price you can get from your current travel agent. Great.

3. We are from the west coast and had to leave Friday a.m. in order to be sure to make the ship. I tried valiantly to find out what RCI was planning before we left. Was assured in no uncertain terms that the NOS was on schedule.

4. Arrived at Miami International at 3 pm on Friday, found an RCI rep and was told by her NOS is on schedule. One hour later, RCI posts that NOS won't leave til Sunday. A full 24-hours later on Saturday, RCI posts that NOS won't leave til Monday.

I have a family group ranging in ages from 3 months to 77 years old. This has not been easy. My preference would have been to take the full credit and reschedule the cruise, but we didn't get that chance before we burned $3000 in airfare even though IMHO RCI had to know Friday morning that there wasn't a chance NOS was going to sail on schedule.

Upshot: We've burned $3,000 in airfare from the west coast for a 5-day cruise of uncertain ports. I'm very tempted just to go home instead of taking the cruise, and taking the full RCI credit and eating the $3,000 in airfare. But, I have kids with us who've never been on a cruise before and looked so disappointed when I suggested going home and rescheduling that I guess we'll just go, although as I've pointed out the compensation is nothing to get excited about.

By the way, I have full trip insurance. I'm going to call them but I think the answer will be they won't do anything and that makes sense. This ship is sailing, our plane flights arrived, so what's the problem. Nothing, except the whole trip stinks given the $9,000 I've spent for it.

[quote name='creempuff0530']the last 2 times we had a nor'easter I couldn't leave my house(unless I walked)for a week.[/QUOTE]I highly recommend Subaru! :D

[QUOTE]Everyone's situation is different[/QUOTE]That much is certain. I think the key point is that regardless of when you decide to vacation, factor in the risks associated with vacationing at that time into your decision and your expectations.

Maritimemare - Sorry for all the headaches....But if you have the cruise insurance, most of them include trip delay coverage. Make sure you keep all your receipts! If covered, you will be reimbursed for hotel, food and any other incidentals due to the delay as long as you have receipts! Good Luck!

Archived