"LIVE" from the Westerdam / 3-09-08

Radio

Hello everyone ! I arrived in Fort Lauderdale today at about 3PM, for a 2 night Pre Cruise Stay.

I am very excited about my First cruise with Holland America ! I have sailed many times, and have posted many "Live" reports, but Holland America Line is a first for me.

My "LIVE" posts will posted daily with comments and photos (internet permitting. . . )

The pics will include Public Rooms, Exteriors, Ports of Call, and cabin photos.

We are scheduled to sail on Sunday afternoon, and there will be several ships with us at port.

Tomorrow will be a pre cruise day to relax, and sit by the pool, and maybe go to an Orioles Spring Training Game (At 1:05PM)

Sit back and enjoy this Western Caribbean Cruise on Westerdam.

Thanks for tuning in !

Here are a few pics from today. . .

Radio

Hyatt Regency Pier 66

HYATT1.jpg

View from above. . . .

HYATT3.jpg

Great Pool

HYATT6.jpg

Hyatt Pier 66

HYATT7.jpg

More Pics tomorrow ! !:rolleyes:

Thanks Radio, can't wait to sail with you again. Loved your RCI live cruises. Looking forward to your thoughts on Holland as i have never sailed with them yet either.

Thanks for taking the time to do this on your vacation.

Great! I'm looking forward to traveling along. :)

Those pictures of the Hyatt sure make it look like a nice place to stay. I've read about it on CC, but had no idea it was so pretty. Too bad the revolving restaurant isn't open to the public any more. :(

Have a nice pre-cruise, and a great cruise!

Thank you so much for posting the pics Radio. We are on RC Enchantment on Thursday and have been looking at staying here pre-cruise. I think you just made up my mind! The pool looks inviting! Let us know what you think of it tomorrow? Enjoy your trip and we are looking forward to your "live" reports as we have never sailed with Holland. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much for doing a LIVE report from the Westerdam:) Your pictures are wonderful!! We are just off the Zuiderdam and had a wonderful time, great ship - so looking forward to your reports from the Westerdam:) Enjoy your pre-cruise stay in FLL:)

Love those pictures. We were talking about this hotel a few weeks ago on this board, and now I see that we stayed their pre cruise one time. I also had dinner there with my parents in the late 60s.

Looking forward to your live from complete with pictures since I've never been on the Westerdam.

Love those pictures. We were talking about this hotel a few weeks ago on this board, and now I see that we stayed their pre cruise one time. I also had dinner there with my parents in the late 60s.

Looking forward to your live from complete with pictures since I've never been on the Westerdam.

:eek: Oh, oh...we all have to behave with Radio and his camera documenting our every move...yikes!! Honestly, I think we will all have a wonderful time on the Westerdam!! See all when we get back!!:D I will let you know it compares to our fave Noordam!;)

Thanks for posting the pics. Looking forward to your live reports. You will love the Westerdam. It is a great ship. We went in Dec last year and are going again in April on the Southern Caribbean itinerary. Anxious to hear about the any time dining since it will be new to us.

Have fun and don't miss the Explorer's Cafe.

We'll be on the Westerdam April 6 (sailed same ship, same itinerary last year...Aruba, Curacao, and HMC). We're going with my sister, BIL, and their kids. We'll also be staying at Hyatt Pier 66 for two nights precruise. We usually stay at Marriott Marina Hotel (now the Ft. Lauderdale Grande), but thought we'd give this hotel a try. Please let us know how you like it.

Jo-Ann

Hello everyone. . .Thanks for the nice comments.

I was up early today at 5AM to grab a coffee at the local Starbucks (.9 mi west of the Hyatt) The temp at 5AM was 79f and will be the high for today. A heavy thunderstorm came through at about 6AM, and the temps will be cooler for the rest of the day. The rain is now finished, and it is a sunny day, but the temps will max out at about 71f.

I am getting ready to go to the Fort Lauderdale stadium to watch the Orioles and Mets play. . .

The hotel has been very very nice. I am very pleased with the accommodations here. I enjoyed a great breakfast, and I will tell you that the staff here is very intent on making their guests' stay favorable.

I am able to view all of the ships in port today, and will have a great view for tomorrow when the ships come in early.

Here are a few pics of the Port Everglades area. . .

More pics later !

Radio

Enchantment of the Seas and Costa Mediterrania

HYATT19.jpg

Enchantment of the Seas at Pier 25

HYATT10.jpg

Jewel of the Seas at Pier 18

HYATT13.jpg

Grand Princess at Pier 2

HYATT14.jpg

Costa Mediterrania at Pier 21

HYATT15.jpg

Holland America Zuiderdam is at Pier 26 and is out of view (Behind Enchantment)

Radio, are you in a tower room at Hyatt or a garden/marina room? We've booked a tower room for next month because they were running a special ($169/night), but for next February, we were able to get a government rate of $133 for a garden/marina room.

Thanks for the photos of the ships. My parents just got off the Mediterranea this a.m. and called me when they docked. I was worried whether or not they'd enjoy the ship, as it was very last minute (booked 10 days before sailing). They were scheduled to sail the Zuiderdam on Feb. 9, but my Dad got the flu the day before sailing and they had to cancel. They found out their friends were on Mediterranea and they decided to book that. My Mom said she'll give me a full report when she gets home, but according to her, it was the "best cruise they've ever been on." Huh? I was shocked to hear that. I'm happy for them, but still shocked nonetheless. They've cruised many times (Princess, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity) and this was their best cruise ever? I'm dying to hear details...

Radio, your trip reports are some of the best on CC. I'm so excited you are trying HAL - please give some insights on your thoughts compared to your normal line, RCCL. :)

And, if you could would you please take photographs of dining room menus? There is unfortunately a lack of them on the HAL boards and I would think many would appreciate a view of the menus.

Sailing on Westerday in May - looking forward to your report!

I will be following this thread with anticipation, and I would like to second the request for menu photos (from dining room and elsewhere) as I would be very interested in those. Thanks and have a fantastic cruise!:)

Hey Radio Thanks so much for your posting. I have posted live feeds before as a Nurse on Board and was very well received. I will be joining the Westerdam on March 23rd for 2 months and I am very excited about this. Please take the time to go down and say Hello to Nurse Annie and the gang and send them my love. Fortunately, very few of the Pax see the hardworking staff of the Medical Center but they always love to have a healthy hello from passengers.

NurseGeorge

NurseGeorge, I'm a pediatric nurse and I'll be onboard the Westerdam on April 6 (as a guest!). Perhaps I'll stop by and say hi!

We were onboard Westerdam last year and absolutely loved it. Can't wait to be back onboard again.

Jo-Ann

Radio, Thank you for taking the time to post your live reports and especially the photos!

I was supposed to be on the 3/9 Veendam, but yesterday those plans changed. The ship was overbooked, HAL made me an offer.....so now I'm doing the 4/6 Veendam. I'm considering the Westerdam for next January. It's still a new ship to me, although I've done 2 on the Zuiderdam. I don't generally prefer the vista class ships, but when working around 2 working people's schedules I can't be too picky!

Hope you enjoyed the game - my boyfriend is a former Oriole.

Happy Sailing!

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 4/06/08

Archived