What are the top 5 beaches in Bermuda?

dongordon

1. Horseshoe -yes to rentals etc not great body surfing

2. Tobacco Bay yes to renta etc no body surfing

3. St Catherines Beach yes to rental etc good body surfing

4. Elbow Beach - I don't know

5. Church Bay- Not the last time I was there but it may have reopened. Good body surfing....

The order above is not necessarily any one else's.

1. Horseshoe -yes to rentals etc not great body surfing

2. Tobacco Bay yes to renta etc no body surfing

3. St Catherines Beach yes to rental etc good body surfing

4. Elbow Beach - I don't know

5. Church Bay- Not the last time I was there but it may have reopened. Good body surfing....

The order above is not necessarily any one else's.

Elbow beach has great body surfing waves, it is a gorgeous beach. There is a guy who rents umbrellas and chairs. There is one little downside, no public facilities. .. ..you have to sneak into the Elbow Beach Club. . .

If you are staying near St George's try to go to Clearwater Beach, and there is Turtle Bay next to it. Clearwater Beach rents all kinds of equipment even paddle boats, and there is a bar and facilities attached. Personally, I am not a fan of Tobacco Bay, if there are two ships docked at once, it is much much too crowded. It looks like Coney Island on the 4th of July. :eek:

This is certainly a matter of personal preference, but all the ones mentioned so far are nice--really anywhere along the South Shore--is nice and last time I was there, many had folks renting chairs, umbrellas and selling cold soda, etc.

My favorites are:

Church Bay

Warwick Long Bay

St. Catherine's

Tobacco Bay

Elbow Beach

John Smith's Bay

the last four have facilities and someone selling soda's etc. at the least. As for Elbow Beach--you can enter the public beach just east of the Elbow Beach resort--if you wander over to the Elbow Beach outdoor patio and bar for a cool drink or a rest room no one bothers you!

Not a fan of Horseshoe Bay--though it has nice facilities, hot food, rentals, etc.--it is always crowded and can have a very pesky undertow!!

Elbow beach has great body surfing waves, it is a gorgeous beach. There is a guy who rents umbrellas and chairs. There is one little downside, no public facilities. .. ..you have to sneak into the Elbow Beach Club. . .

If you are staying near St George's try to go to Clearwater Beach, and there is Turtle Bay next to it. Clearwater Beach rents all kinds of equipment even paddle boats, and there is a bar and facilities attached. Personally, I am not a fan of Tobacco Bay, if there are two ships docked at once, it is much much too crowded. It looks like Coney Island on the 4th of July. :eek:

Thanks I have never been to Tobacco bay walked by it a number of time...and I ll try Clearwater the next time I am there...(in September)...

can you do me a favor? your signature contains an over wide post can you correct it? if you leave the box that says "automatically parse links" on it should correct it...or remove the offending signature thanks...

Personally, I am not a fan of Tobacco Bay, if there are two ships docked at once, it is much much too crowded. It looks like Coney Island on the 4th of July. :eek:

Tobacco Bay can get crowded but it is a very good beach to go to if you want some good snorkeling. Also it would be good if one is taking small children.

Tobacco Bay can get crowded but it is a very good beach to go to if you want some good snorkeling. Also it would be good if one is taking small children.

Right on! I would never recommend Tobacco Bay for someone looking for a "beach" beach, even St. Catherine's Beach which is very close by is better. But, like you say, Tobacco is great for snorkeling. Leave it for the snorkelers.;) :)

and I would never recommend Clearwater--it is man-made on St. David's. Another thing no one seems to have mentioned (even me!) is that most beaches on the South Shore have the famous pink sand. This is not so at those on North Shore (St. Catherine's, Tobacco Bay, Achilles Bay). John Smith's Bay---not really pink by Bermuda standards--but pink enough for tourists!!

and I would never recommend Clearwater--it is man-made on St. David's. Another thing no one seems to have mentioned (even me!) is that most beaches on the South Shore have the famous pink sand. This is not so at those on North Shore (St. Catherine's, Tobacco Bay, Achilles Bay). John Smith's Bay---not really pink by Bermuda standards--but pink enough for tourists!!

I really like John Smith's. No beach chairs for rent, very basic facilities, but also hardly any tourists. Not a crowded beach. It is the South Shore pink sand beach to do from St. George. And one can stop at the Swizzle In on the way back to St. George from John Smith's.

Archived