Where to buy Black Pearls

clipper86

Clipper...

what REALLY surprised me ...was how few places there actually were...

I was kindof expecting a saturation like the Caribbean but nothing like that....(thank goodness)

anyway, I didn't buy any because they don't look good with my skins tone...I'm more of a regular pearl kinda girl...

onboard they had a HUGE selection

Is any one shop better than the other when buying pearls in BB, Tahiti or Moorea?
--I learned last May that there were all sorts of colors/quality/shape etc.--we had a great lesson on the excursion with Bruno/Raitaia--I already had a ring and ear rings/black pearl--rarely if ever wear them--the lady who gave us this great lesson--she laid out the different/sizes/colors/qualities--you would never realize the difference had they not been displayed in this manner--just for fun I purchased the least expensive item which were a group of mis-shapen black pearls and a neck cord that could be lengthed or shortened--probably worn them twice--I'll try to remember to take them on our TP cruise next week--Anyway I would be from this wholesaler that gave us the lesson as part of our excursion--really looked great--and I think that the price MIGHT have been good--those who purcased were pleased. If I wanted some more--I'd be sure to take a credit card with me when we meet with Bruno on the 25th--probably will do that

There are lots of inexpensive pearls around--I think there is a good dealer on Bora Bora--actually lots of them--we found a driver to take us around on Bora Bora to help me find a high voltage power adapter--took us everywhere--but no luck--that's where I found that everyone and their uncle seemed to have a family member selling the pearls--

I'd buy from the wholesale lady out in the water --if Bruno is still going to the same place--it hasn't quite been a year yet.

you can really see what they look like with the trays of comparison sizes and colors

Good Luck shopping

Nancy:D

I also thought the selection and prices of the onboard concession were good. Its run by Tara who have stores in Scottsdale and Florida.

After going to many (and I do mean many!) pearl stores, I can say I was unimpressed with the well known names - Tahia Collins, Sibhani, Matira Pearl Market, Robert Wan. Very expensive and the settings were, at least for me, too gaudy.

You should know there is double taxation on pearls set jewelry whereas if you buy loose pearls it is comparatively cheaper due to the lack of taxation. Of course, if you want to string a necklace, you have to find 41 pearls that are of similar size, texture, color and shape.

The very best shop we discovered found was Vaima Pearls at the Vaima Center in Papeete, about a five minute walk from the ship. Its on the second level. The store was elegant, the settings were the nicest we saw over three weeks in the islands, the service was knowledgeable, relaxed and impeccable. Vaima Pearls had black pearls of the best quality in my opinion - and those that comported with our personal tastes. BTW, the store gives a 10% discount to TP passengers and it was recommended in Jan Prince's book.

The black pearls at the pearl farm in Tahaa were extraordinary and that farm is a producer (not reseller) with pretty good prices considering how astronomical the prices are. We went there on Bruno's Raitea private tour.

I would also note that several indepedent pearl shops recommended by Jan Prince in Papeete are no longer in existence. The Robt. Wan Pearl Museum moved from the Vaima Center a year ago (its still at the old address in the guide books) down about 1/2 mile on the seaside Promenade. The Museum is housed in the Wan pearl store but it is interesting and well done.

Finally, I would caution against drinking the Kool Aid. Saw a lot of "bad" looking pearls at the end of the cruise where some folks apparently felt the urgent need to buy something. If that is the case, sit back, take your time, learn more about black pearls by visiting shops...and go to Tara on board. The staff there is experienced (esp. Valeria) and pleasant and the selection was pretty good.

Just one more hint to add to the great advice offered by wristband and seal - if you buy a string of pearls, leave them as a string and ask for the end attachments. Once you get home, put them on - that way they are considered loose and you don't have to pay duty on them. If they have the end clasps, then you do. This was what we were told the last time we were there. Sort of doesn't work if you want to wear them while you're there though.

Charlie

My pearls were purchased from the TP--I like them just don't think to wear them--When mine were purchased the ship was running a SPECIAL from a different selection of pearls--a lot less expensive--but the quality wasn't there.

Nancy:D

Finally, I would caution against drinking the Kool Aid. Saw a lot of "bad" looking pearls at the end of the cruise where some folks apparently felt the urgent need to buy something. If that is the case, sit back, take your time, learn more about black pearls by visiting shops...and go to Tara on board. The staff there is experienced (esp. Valeria) and pleasant and the selection was pretty good.

Thank you for all the great information. I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "drinking the kool aid".:confused: Is this an American expression?:)

Um, I'm not really sure about the Kool Aid comment either, but they offer 'fruit juice' on Moorea that is laced with rum. We were taking a tour with our Mormom tablemates and they didn't realize that the uie was spiked until after they drank it - not very happy with the tour leader..who also offered it to some kids. Perhaps the Kool Aid is of the same vein. I know of plenty of shops in Mexico that offer the same type of drinks just prior to making their pitches.

The moral of the story - buy first, then drink...

Charlie

Sorry: its a popular expression less ominous than "buyer beware." In other words, don't be smitten by the huffing, puffing and hype during your limited time there. You do not need to buy black pearls simply because you are in Polynesia "the home of black pearls." Polynesia has very few quality items to sell - shops and stands are everywhere selling pearls of various quality as souveniers.

Enjoy the experience and look around to be better educated. If you decide to buy, my advice is to buy either cheaply and forget about it OR buy from a reputable established source a pearl you are absolutely delighted with. Tara onboard has competitive prices, very good quality with zero sales pressure. Tara offers a large number of pearls - black and white - inexpensive (say $150+) alongside very expensive ones (say $5,000).

The following advice was offered by an 85 year old American resident of Raitea (private tour with him). Despite protestations, there is a lot of leeway enjoyed by vendors b/c we tourists are (a) ignorant of the product and usually smitten when gazing at the pearls, (b) we feel rushed to buy then and therels, © we trust vendors and © once we leave, we are gone.

There are no policing authorities enforcing uniform certification standards. Consumers must rely on the integrity and competence of a vendor. Pearl certificates are worthless (the paper says you have purchased a pearl, big deal). Odds are very much against us as consumers on an island for one day. Plus, less-than-scrupulous vendors can and do artificially color pearls to disguise defects and make multiple pearls similar in color. Pearls imported from China - but sold as Tahitian - are notorious for such fraud.

As you can read elsewhere pearls are rated based on size, color and quality A, B, C etc. Very difficult for consumers to know if they are receiving an honest assessment. Again, local vendors will act offended should you question the opportunity for fraud and the lack of active oversight by any governmental authority. Reminds me of the Claude Rains character in "Casablanca" being shocked about gambling taking place.

Finally, here is the web site of a Tahaa private producer. Its a French couple who have a remarkable selection of loose pearls and their own settings. I offer it only as a reference source before you cruise - not a rec to buy - and the photos are a good starting point: http://www.tahitipearlonline.com.

Again, don't drink the Kool Aid and feel as if you have to buy anything or the very first pearls you see. You can always ask the store to set the pearls aside and you can come back later on in the day with a clearer mind.

Sorry: its a popular expression less ominous than "buyer beware." In other words, don't be smitten by the huffing, puffing and hype during your limited time there. You do not need to buy black pearls simply because you are in Polynesia "the home of black pearls." Polynesia has very few quality items to sell - shops and stands are everywhere selling pearls of various quality as souveniers.

Enjoy the experience and look around to be better educated. If you decide to buy, my advice is to buy either cheaply and forget about it OR buy from a reputable established source a pearl you are absolutely delighted with. Tara onboard has competitive prices, very good quality with zero sales pressure. Tara offers a large number of pearls - black and white - inexpensive (say $150+) alongside very expensive ones (say $5,000).

The following advice was offered by an 85 year old American resident of Raitea (private tour with him). Despite protestations, there is a lot of leeway enjoyed by vendors b/c we tourists are (a) ignorant of the product and usually smitten when gazing at the pearls, (b) we feel rushed to buy then and therels, © we trust vendors and © once we leave, we are gone.

There are no policing authorities enforcing uniform certification standards. Consumers must rely on the integrity and competence of a vendor. Pearl certificates are worthless (the paper says you have purchased a pearl, big deal). Odds are very much against us as consumers on an island for one day. Plus, less-than-scrupulous vendors can and do artificially color pearls to disguise defects and make multiple pearls similar in color. Pearls imported from China - but sold as Tahitian - are notorious for such fraud.

As you can read elsewhere pearls are rated based on size, color and quality A, B, C etc. Very difficult for consumers to know if they are receiving an honest assessment. Again, local vendors will act offended should you question the opportunity for fraud and the lack of active oversight by any governmental authority. Reminds me of the Claude Rains character in "Casablanca" being shocked about gambling taking place.

Finally, here is the web site of a Tahaa private producer. Its a French couple who have a remarkable selection of loose pearls and their own settings. I offer it only as a reference source before you cruise - not a rec to buy - and the photos are a good starting point: www.tahitipearlonline.com.

Again, don't drink the Kool Aid and feel as if you have to buy anything or the very first pearls you see. You can always ask the store to set the pearls aside and you can come back later on in the day with a clearer mind.

Thank you so much, excellent advice.

When I was in Tahiti and Bora Bora I thought I was going to get good deals on Black Tahitian Pearls. I quickly learned that I could get better deals in the States.

I have purchased earrings, necklace, ring and bracelet all in the States for less than what they cost in French Polynesia or Hawaii.

Just my experience.

Um, I'm not really sure about the Kool Aid comment either, but they offer 'fruit juice' on Moorea that is laced with rum. We were taking a tour with our Mormom tablemates and they didn't realize that the uie was spiked until after they drank it - not very happy with the tour leader..who also offered it to some kids. Perhaps the Kool Aid is of the same vein. I know of plenty of shops in Mexico that offer the same type of drinks just prior to making their pitches.

The moral of the story - buy first, then drink...

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, Good advice as usual.:)

Finally, here is the web site of a Tahaa private producer. Its a French couple who have a remarkable selection of loose pearls and their own settings. I offer it only as a reference source before you cruise - not a rec to buy - and the photos are a good starting point: http://www.tahitipearlonline.com.

again, don't drink the Kool Aid and feel as if you have to buy anything or the very first pearls you see. You can always ask the store to set the pearls aside and you can come back later on in the day with a clearer mind.

Thank you wristband for clearing that up for me. Great expression, I will have to remember that.:) I am not looking for anything expensive, just a black pearl that will bring back memories of the trip. I will look at what Tara

has before I buy anything on the Island. Unfortunately we are not going to the Island that has the pearl farm you posted a link for.

I've brought modest pearls back from two of my trips, and I love them. Every time I wear one of them I think about FP. I'm talking less than $500. On Moorea, we bought a single pearl, set, with chain at Tahia Collins (they are also the vendor on the Paul Gauguin.) I was very happy with the quality, color and lustre of their pearls. Remember, you get what you pay for, there are many poor quality pearls.

Here is another suggestion....stop by a reputable jeweler here in the US and look at their black Tahitian pearls. Get the prices on various qualities, sizes, etc. Then you wil have something to compare it to when you are there shopping. We do that for anything that we think we might buy overseas so we don't buy on the spur of the moment and regret it later.

Em offers good advice. You can also start comparing online with a large, reputable company. This is from Borsheims: http://search.borsheims.com/search.aspx?SearchString=black%20pearls

I also agree with the earlier poster who indicated it is likely cheaper to buy in the US. But doing so misses the excitement of telling others and remembering for years where you purchased your pearl(s). Memory might - for some people - impart as much meaning as the beauty of the pearl.

Here is another suggestion....stop by a reputable jeweler here in the US and look at their black Tahitian pearls. Get the prices on various qualities, sizes, etc. Then you wil have something to compare it to when you are there shopping. We do that for anything that we think we might buy overseas so we don't buy on the spur of the moment and regret it later.

Great idea!! Boy, this website has a lot of smart people on it.;)

I've brought modest pearls back from two of my trips, and I love them. Every time I wear one of them I think about FP. I'm talking less than $500. On Moorea, we bought a single pearl, set, with chain at Tahia Collins (they are also the vendor on the Paul Gauguin.) I was very happy with the quality, color and lustre of their pearls. Remember, you get what you pay for, there are many poor quality pearls.

I'm with you. I saw a 3 pearl hanging necklace a cruise critic bought in Moorea and I would love to get one like it. $500 sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info.:)

• 1 month later...

Ia Orana

Just returned and yes the pearl Gods had to get the sacrificial swiping of the credit card to appease the All quiet vacation gods around the island.

I had some discussions around the island about passenger of the PG especially indicated a strong commercial push from the Tahia Collins company ( shop on Board, very convenient shuttle to the pier on moorea with the PG 's location conveniently relocated to Opunohu bay for that purpose and also some tours were guides were "told" not to offer Pearls.

Keep you options open. TC offers a great collection of Pearls designs choices etc, don't get me wrong. there are also other options (especially around Moorea) with different styles, prices, etc,...

As indicated in the past, I have favored Kerebel Black pearls/ Golden Nugget on the Motu temae and Eva Pearls on Moorea for years . Both of these companies appear in the convenient free Moorea Guides ( with the best map of the island by the way). These can be found in Hotels, shops, etc,...

Attached are a couple of examples for what some family members suggested as the perfect above mentioned "sacrificial use of the plastic" to appease the gods.

The Meherio pic made it home and the weather was fine all the way!

Meherio

1023327755_MozDiner.JPG.48eb886daa561fded5af62b7f0db6403.JPG

373376956_meheriofare084(3).jpg.0209f88b546357118d1abd05e6fbccdd.jpg

Note that whatever bay you tender to on the PG, there will be a shuttle to the shopping area, sponsored by Tahia Collins. But you aren't under any obligation to shop there, there are other pearl merchants a few steps away. That being said, I bought a lovely bluish solitaire from TC, and their collection is stunning. Even if you are not buying, look at the pearls.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you HAVE to say you purchased the pearls in Tahiti, I recommend a good jeweler in a larger US city. You WILL pay more in FP! Been there and saw for myself.:eek:

Archived