Threading for hair removal?

GORDONCHICK

I had my eyebrows done. It was interesting. I usally wax them. They seem to get all the hair you dont see. It's as good as wax. I just had to see what this was all about. I will wax them from now on. Only becase I can do them myself. But try it. It was only $10.

Gordonchick,

I can't personally vouch for the process - I haven't tried it or waxing.

But I can tell you that New York women prefer it to waxing. And we seem to have more and more threading salons opening weekly. It's cheap, painless and doesn't burn the skin. Price here runs from $7 - $12.

They key to it, is to find a person who really knows what shape to make your eyebrows to flatter your face.

Removing hair with a thread is no biggie. Creating a great brow shape is something not just anyone can do!

I moved to the community where I now live (Skokie, IL - a suburb of Chicago) nearly 10 years ago and until then, I had never seen threading. Skokie has a large Asian population, many people from Mediterranean ares etc and many Indians and Pakastanis. They have popularized threading in this community. Some ethnic groups have coarse,heavy facial hair and they are both practioners and customers of threading. It is great because it is inexpensive and doesn't leave the face red or sore.

My hair dresser who is Iraqui, does threading. I get a haircut and full face threading for $20.00!

For me, it lasts longer than waxing. I first had it done in Canada quite a few years ago and really preferred the look and process to waxing. I have not found a salon that does it here in my area but I always have it done when I am in a bigger city that has threading salons. (Jane, there is one on 33rd between 2nd and 3rd that I go to whenever I am in the city.)

It is not always painless IMO, and it brings tears to my eyes when I have my lipline done as there are so many nerves in that area. Brows are a snap for me though.

For me, it lasts longer than waxing. I first had it done in Canada quite a few years ago and really preferred the look and process to waxing. I have not found a salon that does it here in my area but I always have it done when I am in a bigger city that has threading salons. (Jane, there is one on 33rd between 2nd and 3rd that I go to whenever I am in the city.)

It is not always painless IMO, and it brings tears to my eyes when I have my lipline done as there are so many nerves in that area. Brows are a snap for me though.

Amazing that there is a salon here in a burb of OKC! We are usually among the last to get anything here!

For those who may not know about this, there is a perscription medication, Vaniqa,that stops or at least slows the growth of facial hair. The perscription is expensive -- I have paid from $55 to $65 for a tube but it lasts for about 6 weeks. My insurance doesn't cover it because it is considered cosmetic, but if you have a better plan, yours may cover it. I have found that Drugstore.com is the most reasonable place to buy it and if you google Vaniqa rebates,you will almost always find a form for a rebate from $10 to $25.

For the poster who asked about full face threading -- in addition to the eyebrows, they do the chin, under the chin -- anyplace that hair may grow.

If you try Vaniqa, it will take abot 10 days to stop working. For me, it is one of the very few things I can't be without.

I haven't tried threading, but I'm interested. It still must hurt though, if you're pulling out hair by the root, right?

I like the wax they use at my salon - it doesn't stick to the skin at all. I like waxing because it's all over within a few minutes. The worst part for me when I get my eyebrows waxed is when she touches it up by tweezing any remaining strays. That hurts more than the waxing part! :eek:

Does anyone know how long a threading session lasts? I have medium-thick eyebrows and keep up with the waxing pretty regularly, but my hair grows fast. Lots of strays! :o

threading hurts so much. I usally get my brows waxed , but tried threading once and never again! while yes, waxing hurts, its usally three rippes and then your done. Threading takes a lot longer and it felt like 100 littlefeeling of my hear getting ripped out. I kept wiggling away in the chair from the threader because it hurt so much, and in the end it looked the exact same as if i got them waxed.

Archived