Taste of Skagway

judynorth

We are visiting Skagway for the 3rd time this June and are looking for an excursion. We have been into the Yukon on our 2 previous trips, renting a car the last time, so we don't really want to do that again. One of the offered excursions is a Taste of Skagway. This is a trip to Jewell Gardens with a cooking demonstration and lunch. Has anyone taken this tour? I know it can't compare to the drive to Emerald Lake but it does sound like it would be a pleasant, restful tour. We have signed up for some more adventurous excursions at other ports.

We are visiting Skagway for the 3rd time this June and are looking for an excursion. We have been into the Yukon on our 2 previous trips, renting a car the last time, so we don't really want to do that again. One of the offered excursions is a Taste of Skagway. This is a trip to Jewell Gardens with a cooking demonstration and lunch. Has anyone taken this tour? I know it can't compare to the drive to Emerald Lake but it does sound like it would be a pleasant, restful tour. We have signed up for some more adventurous excursions at other ports.

Hi Judy - Sorry I can't help with your question but was wondering if you can tell me how you enjoyed the drive in Skagway? Did you also do the train? Which did you enjoy more and why? Thanks! I've rented the car but am still a little undecided!

Hi Judy - Sorry I can't help with your question but was wondering if you can tell me how you enjoyed the drive in Skagway? Did you also do the train? Which did you enjoy more and why? Thanks! I've rented the car but am still a little undecided!

I haven't taken the train but we took the motor coach trip into the Yukon on our first Alaska cruise. On the second cruise we rented a car. It was SO much better than the motor coach and we saved a lot of $$$. It is an easy drive with no steep and twisty mountain roads like you find in the mountains of NC. You can stop when and where you want to and take pictures or just enjoy the view. You made a good decision to rent a car. I don't think that you will regret it. Look at my pictures at the link below and you will see some of the beautiful views.

This excursion has had good reviews on this site:

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

I believe it is only available through the cruiselines. It is also pricey, but does sound like a fun time.

Yes, it sounds like a great excursion but we were looking for something a little less strenuous since it is late in the 14-day cruise and I am sure that I will be tired and ready for something calmer and quieter. I can't just go, go, go all the time.:o

Jewell Gardens is quite lovely and peaceful, and their "cafe" is good as well. Going out into the gardens and picking herbs and veggies is quite the experience. Think you would enjoy it if something different, and quiet, is what you are looking for.

Thanks! That is just what I wanted - something different. I am just hoping that early June isn't too early for the gardens. I went to the website and saw that you can go to the gardens on your own and there is transportation from town but that doesn't include the guided tour and picking what you cook and eat later. I thought that would be interesting and instructive too.

Thanks! That is just what I wanted - something different. I am just hoping that early June isn't too early for the gardens. I went to the website and saw that you can go to the gardens on your own and there is transportation from town but that doesn't include the guided tour and picking what you cook and eat later. I thought that would be interesting and instructive too.

Hi, Judy! Since we had been to Skagway 4 times, last year we decided to do an excursion in Haines. Have you considered this? We took the "Fast Ferry" to Haines then went on the Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4X4 and had a terrific time. http://www.takshanuktrail.com/

and our pictures at

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559812260LCbogf

This year we are again considering an excursion in Haines but haven't decided for sure yet.

Judy: I think that you will enjoy it. There are a lot of perennials in the gardens that were out and blooming when we were in Alaska in June a couple of years ago, so you should be able to see some. There is a gazebo where you can go to sit and enjoy the surroundings, a model train that runs through part of the flower beds, and such.

You could probably save some money by just catching a ride out there and buying your own lunch and have a stroll through the gardens which I believe that they will toss in with the salad!

It is a bit over a mile from your ship, but I would suggest a stroll at least one way through our fair city where you will soon see why we are proud to be called Alaskas' Garden City.(by official proclamation of the Gov.) May I suggest the real Main street, so named, (not trinket alley, which is where most of the people stay for most of their time here.) Cross over at Third Ave. and Main north or south and you will see some of the original gardens still being maintained, by the real locals!:D . DD

Hi, Judy! Since we had been to Skagway 4 times, last year we decided to do an excursion in Haines.

We are on a 14 day cruise and will be in Haines during the first week. We have already booked an excursion there (can't remember which right now). I've looked at your pictures before and they are beautiful!

You could probably save some money by just catching a ride out there and buying your own lunch and have a stroll through the gardens which I believe that they will toss in with the salad!

It is a bit over a mile from your ship, but I would suggest a stroll at least one way through our fair city where you will soon see why we are proud to be called Alaskas' Garden City.(by official proclamation of the Gov.) May I suggest the real Main street, so named, (not trinket alley, which is where most of the people stay for most of their time here.) Cross over at Third Ave. and Main north or south and you will see some of the original gardens still being maintained, by the real locals!:D . DD

We had thought about doing that but decided to book the tour and get that set. We can cancel later if we decide to do it on our own. I thought that the demonstration and guided tour might be interesting. Thanks for the suggestion to walk around more of the town than Trinket Alley. We will plan on doing that. I do want to visit one of the shops which sells Alaska made crafts. We bought Christmas ornaments there on both of our previous visits and look forward to doing the same this time.

Gee, Dave, where were you two years ago when I would have liked to know about the real Main St. We did a lot of walking since we were there for so long.

Archived