• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Has anyone heard about this Zaandam incident?

ekerr19

I was checking the website, www.cruisenewsdaily.com for any information about the Rotterdam and came across this post from someone just returning from the Zaandam... has anyone heard about this? I hope the ship isn't badly damaged...

Thursday, September 23

* From the glad we're going home department: It was kind of a close call for Holland America's Zaandam yesterday. The ship was on it's last Alaskan cruise of the season and docked in Skagway. Docked behind it was Alaska Marine Highway's new fast ferry, Fairweather, which was attempting to leave and got out of control in the wind becoming entangled in Zaandam's mooring lines. Before it was stopped, the ferry partially-severed three of the five of Zaandam's two-inch-think mooring lines (they have already been replaced), and put a crack the metal on its own bow, apparently when it struck a mooring dolphin. The ferry never actually struck Zaandam, but it appears it was a close call. State officials seemed so concerned about their ferry they weren't even sure at first which cruise ship was involved. There's probably a little disappoint around the statehouse that a collision didn't occur, because if it had, and Zaandam had leaked even only a little oil, no doubt they would have fined poor old HAL for polluting, helping to ease the state's budgetary problems.

I posted it over at C@ because that's more of a chat board and it was more of a chat item. Ferry hits a few mooring cables, doesn't damage ship, ferry captain forced to walk plank.

Also, the Anchorage Daily News is, I think, a subcription site. Free, but you do have to "join," which can be more of a pain than the casual reader cares to deal with. Since we can't cut & paste, and they charge for archival materials, it would be unavailable the next day.

They also spelled the ship's name wrong.

Hey, sorry - didn't see it previously posted. Thanks for your support ziggy - I think you realize I wasn't trying to make a "meal" out of anything - just thought it interesting and RELATED to the HAL boards...

It sure beats drumming the Alaskan cruise dress code to death! For the umpteenth time... :)

Hey, sorry - didn't see it previously posted. Thanks for your support ziggy - I think you realize I wasn't trying to make a "meal" out of anything - just thought it interesting and RELATED to the HAL boards...

It sure beats drumming the Alaskan cruise dress code to death! For the umpteenth time... :)

You are welcome and yes I knew you were not trying to make a meal out of it. I appreciated the news, as well as others I'm sure :)

Sorry TomC I must have missed your post.

I agree with KK, keep the news comming!

Archived