sending mail to HAL staff/crew?

dr1ce

Does anyone know how (or if it's possible) to send mail ("snail mail") to staff/crew of a HAL ship (Noordam in this case)? I have some photos I'd love to send to some great people we met onboard. Any experience with this?

Hey, it's super easy. Whenever my family sends me things I have them send it to this address. It's easier than trying to hunt down the Port Agents' addresses:

Crew Member's name, position

Ship's name

c/o Holland America Line

300 Elliott Ave W

Seattle, WA 98119

The mail room at HAL puts together a "pouch" that gets sent to the ship's agent - kind of like a diplomatic pouch. The ship does the same thing when it's sending things back to Seattle (like lost and found items, etc). Works great and I always get my items this way.

Cheers!;)

You can expedite their receipt of the mail by sending to the port they leave/arrive from. On my last cruise on the Oosterdam to Mexico out of San Diego, I decided to send a laptop computer as a gift to one of the lovely hardworking servers on the Lido. I mailed it to San Diego and he got it when they got back to port after his next cruise after mine. I got the address for the Oosterdam crew from my travel agent.

If you are not sure what ship your crew member will be on at any given time (say, a performer) then I agree using the Seattle address is best.

Moriah

I'm certain they don't want to hear from you.

You are certain, or are you just assuming? You do know the popular saying about assuming don't you? "Never assume because it just makes an ... out of you and me".

Valerie:)

You are certain, or are you just assuming? You do know the popular saying about assuming don't you? "Never assume because it just makes an ... out of you and me".

Valerie:)

Good one. I think that the poster he was replying to should have hit the notification triangle on the right hand side. There is no need (usually) to be rude.

Perhaps I cannot be 100% certain, but my certainty is asymptotically close to 100%.

Listen, people on cruise ships see close to 10^5 people per year, do you honestly think they're going to be thrilled over pictures from a passenger they served 3-4 weeks ago? I'd be surprised if they even remember you.

If this crew member wanted mail from the OP he would've given him his contact information (making this thread redundant). Let them enjoy their free time without being pestered by past guests.

I'd be surprised if they even remember you.

I'm always amazed that they do remember me. But they do.

It can be years later, on a different ship, in a different part of the world. When I board I invariably have a steward notice me, then remember me, my name, and my drink preference.

To decide for a steward that he wouldn't want the pictures is quite presumptuous. :rolleyes:

If I were moderating this forum, I would close a thread that digressed into a silly argument like this. It is a lovely gesture to send photos and my feeling is it would be greatly appreciated! That the crew members are remembered as human beings and not just someone who serviced us is what makes this world a better place. But you know what, even my opinion stated above is not relevant. The OP wanted to know how to send the mail, and did not solicit anyone's opinions about their planned gift of the pictures.

I suppose that's the nature of a discussion forum Moriah.

RuthC, my opinion is based on, I think, a more realistic understanding of the nature of the relationship between passengers and crew. They provide services because its their job and while they may be friendly and very kind I think that it stretches one's credibility to suggest that they are actually our friends.

In any event, upon further consideration, if the steward doesn't want the pictures it wouldn't be much effort to throw them away. So no harm no foul, right?

I withdraw my comments to the OP.

Thanks for the info & input. Of course, it's entirely possible that they don't want to hear from me, but I'd really like to send a thank you note (with photo) to the crew members who really went "above and beyond" for us. Maybe it's "just their job" but I'd like to send something to express my appreciation anyway. I chatted with these great folks nearly daily and got to know a bit about them and their families back home.

I hope it doesn't get taken the wrong way; that I'm somehow being narcissistic or making it "about me" because that's not my intention at all. I realize fully that I'm just one of 1000s of people they see week after week after week. Another reason I wondered about this is because I'd like to send a note to their bosses on the ship and let them know just how much we appreciated their kind generosity (whether "fake" or not). Those great people work so hard and sacrifice so much, it's the least I could do...

One gal made my DH & I a little paper keepsake in the shape of a Hawaiian shirt, decorated with "Caribbean Cruise '08," our names, flowers, etc., and her name on the back. Another gal gave us a handmade paper flower and told us the story of how she learned to make them from a street vendor on one of the islands. My favorite bartender (made the best mojitos on the ship!) taught my DH & I all kinds of things about drinks and "mixology" throughout the cruise.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone else has done anything like this? I talked to a few people who've kept track via email with some HAL crew members...

George W.,

We hear from past crew members all the time. One waiter calls us every Christmas from his ship. We also met up with him when he was on the Prinsendam and the Amsterdam (we were on the Amsterdam) and Prinsendam met in Croatia. We stay in touch via e-mail.

Our favorite bartender's fiancee e-mailed us to introduce herself and let us know the date of their wedding.

I think "W" makes some valid points that certainly pertain to some crew. They do see a lot of pax every 7-10 days and it is certainly a business! Having said that, there have been, without a doubt, relationships and even lasting friendships forged between pax and crew. That doesn't mean everytime the Oosterdam for instance, docks in San Diego, ten to fifteen guys and girls from Indonesia and/or the P.I. make a mad dash down the gangway to have tea and crumpets at some former pax' residence in La Jolla. But most certainly some crew exchange e-mails and cards for the holidays with some former pax.

If the OP wants to send a Thank You note and some pics to one or more HAL crew members, I would call that a nice gesture on her part so more power to her! What the involved crew member(s) decides to do with same once received is their business! Don't worry, be happy and don't sweat the small stuff!

By all means write and send your photos. If (s)he doesn't want them, no problem with them discarding them. Who wouldn't enjoy getting a note of thanks from someone apprecdiating their hard work. Just don't be hurt or disappointed if you do not get a response.

Archived