Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

don-d

Bungee cords/balcony

I have seen quite a few members mention a bungee cord for holding the balcony open at night. Exactly how long a bungee cord will we need? Thanks to all!

We've been on the Grand a couple of times and never needed a cord to keep the balcony door open. In my experience, the sliding doors are fairly heavy and would only move in very rough seas.

If you are traveling with friends who have a cabin next to you and you want to keep the door between the balconies open, that would have to be tied down with about a 3 foot cord as it will swing with the slightest movement.

Princess's ships seem to have the sliding doors but others do have a door that swings outward; I would bring along several starting at 24" to 36", you can always double them up.

In our balcony on the Grand, the sliding door handle turned and locked it in place.

Charlie

The sliding balcony doors on X ship's will slide close and LOCK if they are not propped open or bungeed. Rude awakening when you are on the balcony, the ship hits a "bump" and you are locked on your balcony. Has happened to us a few times (you would think we would learn!!!).

When you leave your veranda door open, you effect other people's air conditioning whose cabins are on the same line as your cabin. On HAL's "S" class ships, invariably when someone wants to leave their veranda door wide open, cabins down the line are calling the office their a/c is not operating.

Please think of others.

Thank you.

I have seen quite a few members mention a bungee cord for holding the balcony open at night....QUOTE]

While this is one of the uses of a “bungee cord”, it is not needed on the majority of newer ships.

People still pack them for possible other uses; extra security going around a suitcase, clothes line, having a tie down available for a cab ride, etc. etc.

Wow...glad to hear that you guys are only talking about trying to keep your balcony doors open...I thought OH MY GOD there are 6 other folks that want to bungee jump off of their BALCONY!!!! :) :) :)

Can't speak for HAL ships re: A/C.

When we cruise, we always book a balcony and leave the door open a little bit at night to hear the sea and smell the air. During the day, it is usually closed, especially when the ship is moving. It is pretty difficult to open the door to the hallway if the ship is moving and the balcony door is open.

Quote[When you leave your veranda door open, you effect other people's air conditioning whose cabins are on the same line as your cabin. On HAL's "S" class ships, invariably when someone wants to leave their veranda door wide open, cabins down the line are calling the office their a/c is not operating.

Please think of others.

Thank you.]Quote

I have a couple friends that work on a couple different cruise lines and they have all said for the lines they work on, leaving your balcony door open does not effect others as others have stated. Maybe on HAL's "S" class it does but on a couple "well known" lines it doesn't know effect others.

Yes, open veranda doors definitely effect the air for others on HAL's Statendam class ships......a well known cruise line.