Cabo Help!

las7880

Just got back from our very first cruise (Western Caribbean) and loved it! Now, we're thinking of visiting Cabo but can't decide between a cruise which will only give us one day there, or staying at an all inclusive resort. Anyone have any advice? Is there enough to do in Cabo to keep us busy for 7 days?

Also, are there any Baja type excursions that any of you have tried? DH is obsessed with Baja racing and would love to experience it somehow.

Gracias!:D

Just got back from our very first cruise (Western Caribbean) and loved it! Now, we're thinking of visiting Cabo but can't decide between a cruise which will only give us one day there, or staying at an all inclusive resort. Anyone have any advice? Is there enough to do in Cabo to keep us busy for 7 days?

Also, are there any Baja type excursions that any of you have tried? DH is obsessed with Baja racing and would love to experience it somehow.

Gracias!:D

Hi.

We stayed at one of the resorts last October for over a week. The all inclusive was an option that some of our group did, and some did not.

Like a cruise ship, they had several scheduled activities and events. There was also a company on the grounds that offered the packaged excursions very much like they do on cruises. There was plenty to do...of course, it was all extra $$. One of their excursions was ATV driving. Some of our group went on it and had a blast....boy, did they come back dirty...it was pretty dusty out there, I guess.

We actually only had time for two of the excursions, but I would highly recommend the sunset, dinner cruise. I can't think of the name of it off hand, but while you're there, you can see their boat out in the bay and it has their name on it. They offered a wonderful dinner in a casual setting, and a wonderfully cultural floor show. There was a full bar of course, and some fun dancing on the upper deck before the cruise was over. The cruise itself took you out past Lover's beach and around the arch onto the Pacific side of the rock formation, where we ate our dinner while the sunset on the horizon...very nice.

The other one we did was Snuba diving...oh, yeah...my husband went with a group of people deep sea fishing too...if you catch anything, there is at least one restaurant in town that will cook it for you and serve it as your dinner.

Of course, there're always the party places downtown...the Giggling Marlin was fun...Cabo Wabo (October is Sammy Hagar's "birthday month")...and the shopping...and your resort poolside to lounge at...yup...there are plenty of things to keep you busy for 7 daysl:D

I would not recommend staying all inclusive in Cabo. There are only a few resorts that offer it and they are not very good. Almost all of the resorts in Cabo are timeshares resorts. When an owner decides not to use their week and banks it with the resort, the resort can then re-rent it to the public but the prices are crazy! Look at vrbo and redweek.com. They are both great sites to rent directly from the owner themselves. Not only do you save a ton of money, you don't have to pay the crazy hotel tax that they resorts charge.

As an example, I own at Playa Grande and Pueblo Bonito Rose in Cabo. For a 1 bedroom unit the resort charges about $310/night. You can rent that same unit directly from the owner for $1000 or less for the whole week! You might want to go over to tripadvisor's Cabo board. It is very active and there is alot of great resort info over there.

I would never eat at a buffet at an AI while in a town like Cabo. There are so many great restaurants and bars at every price point. I also first found Cabo on a cruise back in 1994 and now go twice a year for between 10-14 days at a time!:)

I would have to agree with Househunter, there are so many great restaurants in Cabo, staying at an all inclusive resort would not be my first choice. I am also in agreement that you can rent time share units (and villas) for a much better price privately then through the resorts. We love staying on Medano beach, it is the safe swimming beach and you can walk or take a $5 cab ride to downtown. We like Club Cascadas and Pueblo Bonito Rose, if you stay at the Rose they have complimentary shuttle service to their two resorts on the Pacific side for a change of pace (the Sunset and Pacifica, which is adults only.)

I have been going to Cabo for 10+ years and I should not think you would run out of things to do, glass bottom boats to Lover’s Beach, wave runners, swimming with dolphins, sailing on the NZL America’s cup boats, golf, fishing, day trips to Todos Santos or San Jose, ATV’s and if your husband is a race fan he should check out “wide open racing” for some off road fun! On our last visit the Baja 1000 ended right next to our resort! The guys were in heaven. :)

7 days isn't enough!!!! I would vote for the land vacation. If you are into fishing at all, I would suggest the East Cape area. Excellent fishing and you'll find it cheaper than Cabo. Don't do an AI! You'll miss all the good food!!!

Actually, cheap and Cabo should not be used in the same sentence. I agree with booking a timeshare privately is the best way to go. Every year, we debate between Cabo and Hawaii. Although it only takes 2+ hours for us to get to Cabo, Hawaii is still cheaper with the more expensive airplane ticket.

Our new hidden gem in Zihuatanejo. It does not have the action of Cabo but if you are looking for a relaxing place to stay, a 3 bedroom luxury resort villa in Zihua that runs $350/night will cost you about $1700/night in Cabo. That leaves you with a lot of margarita money in your pocket :).

Archived