Just Off Jewel 3/16/08

BEVGOO

Just wanted to say the Jewel is fantastic. The new bedding is soooo comfortable and our cabin steward kept the cabin in great shape (although I am a neat freak and pick up after us anyway). The food in the dining room was great for the first 3 nights (prime rib, filet and filet) and then we did Chops (filet) , Chops (filet) and Portifinos (filet for me and lobster tower thingy for DH). The lobster on Friday night was good except my DH had to send his first one back but the second one was great. They also brought us prime rib with the lobster so we could have Surf N Turf. Other nights we may have made the wrong choice but the meals were not so good. Service everywhere was great. Water was so smooth you couldn't feel a thing. Only complaint was the entertainment was not very good and the live music was slim and none.

Also, just a word to everyone. Not sure if it was because of Springbreak or not but people did have wine taken out of carry on bags and out of checked luggage both. This was just the luck of the draw I guess.

:) I'll second the rating of the Jewel of the Seas. She's a beautiful ship and my wife and I wish we were still aboard. We're constantly doing the "last week at this time we were ..." memory tour. Loved the 8 day itinerary. The extra "bonus" day was a real plus. We flew to Ft. Lauderdale the day before departure and stayed at the Hyatt Place located directly behind the Embassy Suites. Great location with lots of restaurants and stores within walking distance. Secured through PriceLine for $75. Would stay here again - hotel provided free shuttle to the ships starting at 11:00 AM. We were on board Jewel and having lunch in the Windjammer at 11:45. Cabins were available at 1:00 PM. The first sea day was a little windy but after that we all enjoyed "perfect" cruising weather - smooth seas and sunshine. Highlight of our cruise: Day sail to St. John out of Red Hook (St. Thomas). Daily highlight: Sampling martinis in the Champagne Bar before dinner! New feature that I didn't know about before the cruise: Luggage Valet & Onboard Check-in Service. Guests flying after 12:00 PM with Delta, Continental, American and United to domestic destinations within the U.S. can use this service (for $20.00 per person). You are issued your airline boarding pass on the ship and you check your luggage at the pier after clearing customs. This means that when you arrive at the airport you clear security and get to go straight to the gate area (where there are plenty of seats and choices of food while you wait for your flight). Back at the entrance there are lots of people (we had 5 LARGE ships arrive with us on Sunday) with all of their luggage and NO where to sit because you can not check-in until 2 hours before your posted flight times. With our 2:35 PM flight to North Carolina, it was the best $40.00 that I spent all week!

:) I'll second the rating of the Jewel of the Seas. She's a beautiful ship and my wife and I wish we were still aboard. We're constantly doing the "last week at this time we were ..." memory tour. Loved the 8 day itinerary. The extra "bonus" day was a real plus. We flew to Ft. Lauderdale the day before departure and stayed at the Hyatt Place located directly behind the Embassy Suites. Great location with lots of restaurants and stores within walking distance. Secured through PriceLine for $75. Would stay here again - hotel provided free shuttle to the ships starting at 11:00 AM. We were on board Jewel and having lunch in the Windjammer at 11:45. Cabins were available at 1:00 PM. The first sea day was a little windy but after that we all enjoyed "perfect" cruising weather - smooth seas and sunshine. Highlight of our cruise: Day sail to St. John out of Red Hook (St. Thomas). Daily highlight: Sampling martinis in the Champagne Bar before dinner! New feature that I didn't know about before the cruise: Luggage Valet & Onboard Check-in Service. Guests flying after 12:00 PM with Delta, Continental, American and United to domestic destinations within the U.S. can use this service (for $20.00 per person). You are issued your airline boarding pass on the ship and you check your luggage at the pier after clearing customs. This means that when you arrive at the airport you clear security and get to go straight to the gate area (where there are plenty of seats and choices of food while you wait for your flight). Back at the entrance there are lots of people (we had 5 LARGE ships arrive with us on Sunday) with all of their luggage and NO where to sit because you can not check-in until 2 hours before your posted flight times. With our 2:35 PM flight to North Carolina, it was the best $40.00 that I spent all week!

Was this just available for Ft. Lauderdale airport only? Or Miami as well??

Glad to hear that all is good!! We sail Sat. am, flying in Friday night. Did you stay at the Hyatt Pier 66? We got that on priceline.

We purchased wine for our stateroom thru RCCL, figured it wasn't worth the risk and too much of a pain to get it back last day and re-pack it for home lol!!!

Thanks for the updates!! How was embarkation? We planned on going at 10:30ish.

We were on the JOs in February and I agree - it was fantastic. We loved the 8 night itinerary. We normally do 10 nights but we had just cruised to Alaska in July so this was our compromise. We would cruise on JOS again anytime.

The on board check in at the end worked great for the return flight. Well worth the $20 pp.

Tra4 - Embarkation was very smooth. Lots of ticket agents to handle the lines of excited cruisers. We entered the terminal at 11:20 and were walking onto the ship at 11:40. The Hyatt Place is a different property from the Hyatt Pier 66 located at the waterway bridge. New and very clean. Free breakfast and free shuttle to the ships. On-board check-in was availabe for flights departing from MIA. Have a great cruise on the Jewel!

Archived