Help! Passport suspended...

calidude80

I would like to put my two cents worth in on this subject. I have been and still am on both sides of the fence.

One side of the fence:

I have a deadbeat X husband :mad: who doesn't pay his support for our 15 yr. old DS. The state takes us to court every 4 to 6 mos. to collect. He brings in a few hundrend dollars and they let it go. He owes several thousands in arrears. I don't care to say it...he only has to pay me $40 a week...and I do not go in for reviews to get an increase...I don't see the point. :rolleyes:

Other side of the fence:

My DH has an 18 yr. old DD..grad. from HS in May. He always paid his support directly to the mother for the first year. (always using a check) He got a notice in the mail that said he failed to appear in court for a hearing about his support. (he never got a notice to go) :mad: The notice said that he was in arrears for $985.00 and they were garnishing his wages. :mad: He contacted his attorney who got the order stopped and got a new court date. His X lied about everything in the prev. hearing with attorneys and got the judgement. The second hearing went in front of the judge and the truth came out. (I did not go to the hearing but I wish I had just to see her squirm in the chair when my DH attorney made her admit to the lying.) :p After the first hearing the court sent a notice to the IRS to withhold our return. They did not send a new notice telling them not to and it took us over 6 mos. to get our money. :mad:

Long story short...it can go both ways...it can all be a mistake or it can be a deadbeat. (mother or father) People should not rush to judgement.

I understand that you thought this was a current situation but even if it was I'm confused as to why you thought there would be any type of issue there. Why would anyone jump on someone who books cruises with the money she earns? Just because she can afford to cruise doesn't mean the father of her children should not be supporting them. She was not the one owing money for her children. Raising children including the financial aspect is something that must be shared by both parents.

Well said...Just what I was thinking.... My ex husband has never paid child support in 14 years and I have been to court over 50 times and they don't enforce it in this one-horse town. I finally gave up a couple of years ago because it isn't worth the hassle to me. I've supported him for 14 years by myself, what's another 4? (or more lol) Although my ex is a true deadbeat, I don't automatically assume if someone has arrears, that they are. There are always 2 sides to a story.

Anytime child support is mentioned, many have a knee jerk reaction. I wanted to read all before I posted because I indeed had a bad reaction. I was also a divorced mom at one time who received little or no support. Although one time, I did get a HUGE chunk because they threatened to pull his fishing license. He paid up really fast then. It sounds funny now but it's kind of sad. It seems really sad to me now that one's "goals" can be so skewed.

I hope the OP has a great cruise with his daughter and I am glad you were able to clear up the matter! :)

I called the Dept. of Homeland Security and they don't know as well. I hope they don't even check for it. Hopefully a glance of the birth cert and ID will be enough.

Well, you can do what you want, but I would have documentation that you resolved the problem close at hand in the event that they do more than "glance" at your BC and ID. Think how disappointed your child would be if you were denied boarding, all for a paperwork problem.

She's lucky to get to go on a cruise with her Dad. I didn't live with my Dad, so times spent with him were so special to me. Poor Mom, she had to do most of the day to day dirty work, lol.

Have a great cruise!

I would like to put my two cents worth in on this subject. I have been and still am on both sides of the fence.

One side of the fence:

I have a deadbeat X husband who doesn't pay his support for our 15 yr. old DS. The state takes us to court every 4 to 6 mos. to collect. He brings in a few hundrend dollars and they let it go. He owes several thousands in arrears. I don't care to say it...he only has to pay me $40 a week...and I do not go in for reviews to get an increase...I don't see the point. :rolleyes:

Other side of the fence:

My DH has an 18 yr. old DD..grad. from HS in May. He always paid his support directly to the mother for the first year. (always using a check) He got a notice in the mail that said he failed to appear in court for a hearing about his support. (he never got a notice to go) The notice said that he was in arrears for $985.00 and they were garnishing his wages. He contacted his attorney who got the order stopped and got a new court date. His X lied about everything in the prev. hearing with attorneys and got the judgement. The second hearing went in front of the judge and the truth came out. (I did not go to the hearing but I wish I had just to see her squirm in the chair when my DH attorney made her admit to the lying.) :p After the first hearing the court sent a notice to the IRS to withhold our return. They did not send a new notice telling them not to and it took us over 6 mos. to get our money.

Long story short...it can go both ways...it can all be a mistake or it can be a deadbeat. (mother or father) People should not rush to judgement.

The IRS actually withheld my ex's tax return and that year we got $1600 in back support. Ex ACTUALLY called me (I'm an accountant) and asked how he could avoid this happening in the future. I was flabberghasted. Then I wanted to kick myself for having married such an idiot. Oh, how time can make us laugh.:rolleyes:

The IRS actually withheld my ex's tax return and that year we got $1600 in back support. Ex ACTUALLY called me (I'm an accountant) and asked how he could avoid this happening in the future. I was flabberghasted. Then I wanted to kick myself for having married such an idiot. Oh, how time can make us laugh.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean about kicking yourself. I wish that they would do the same to my Ex...but he never pays anything in...:p

Last year a law was passed that anyone with a child support balance over $2,500 will have their passport suspended. I paid it off...but the courts said it takes 4-8 weeks before all the paperwok is processed. No funny stuff here...

Was this law passed recently? I've been trying to figure out why, after 12 years of no payments, I suddenly started recieving child support checks. This could be my answer.

I find the iron fist of the government becoming way too heavy. So much for freedom... seems we are not far off from needing "papers" or "permission" to travel anywhere, be it at home or abroad.

Just wait until you fall behind on your payments on your Onstar equipped vehicle and they just shut it off and lock you out via sattelite from their office. :eek:

Archived