Ship luggage tags.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think put them on before you fly. That way, God forbid, a piece of your luggage gets delayed, then they know where to deliver it.

Exception - if you are flying in the day before and staying at a hotel, then don't put them on until the next day before you leave the hotel to head for the ship.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think put them on before you fly. That way, God forbid, a piece of your luggage gets delayed, then they know where to deliver it.

Exception - if you are flying in the day before and staying at a hotel, then don't put them on until the next day before you leave the hotel to head for the ship.

I agree!

I put mine on before I leave the house, specifically for the reason stated above. Our luggage was lost in transit once and we went 2 full days without most clothes. Thank goodness we had our tags on as the airlines was able to forward them to Curacao. When we arrived and as we walked down the gang plank there was our luggage sitting on the dock....such a relief.

The last time I cruised (12/07) luggage tags as we know them were no longer included in the cruise documents. You show the porters the portion of your documents that have an image of the tag and they hand write the luggage tags. TA said the days of colored preprinted tags are gone just like the printed books with our docs.

Sooooooooo.....the tags were put on at the pier prior to giving to porter.

Wait until you retrieve you bags from the airlines. They have enough trouble getting bags to their destination with only the airline tags! No sense in complicating matters! It only take a second to remove the airline tags and attach the ship tags.

In case a bag gets lost in transit, you should have a copy of your itinerary and a cell phone number in the outside pocket of every suitcase you check! That way, they can locate you and where the bag should be!

The last time I cruised (12/07) luggage tags as we know them were no longer included in the cruise documents. You show the porters the portion of your documents that have an image of the tag and they hand write the luggage tags. TA said the days of colored preprinted tags are gone just like the printed books with our docs.

Not true, we still get our docs mailed. I got my docs a couple of weeks ago for our Liberty trip and there were 6 preprinted luggage tags inside. I specifically request mailed docs vs email so that I can get my luggage tags and attach them to my suitcases. I don't want to have to do it at the pier. Eventually, they probably will do away with the preprinted ones altogether, but for now, you can still get them if you request your docs to be mailed.

I'm confused...we cruised Sov. in Nov we had coloured luggage tags and again last week when we cruised...and again in Jan on Celebrity...get my drift and see why I'm confused? We also got the printed book with our docs:confused:

Don´t put the ships luggage tags on your bags for the flight. There´s a good chance they get torn off in the baggage handling procedure during the flight(s). All additional lugggae tags other than the ones from the airline make it harder for the baggage handlers at the airport as well as the automated baggage system at the airports to forward your bags.

There´s no advantage to putting those tags on before the flight.

If your luggage gets lost it´s important to have a simple lugggae tag on it with your name and address and the same information along with itinerary inside your luggage.

As for the discussion about receiving luggage tags or not with the cruise docs. It depends on what type of docs you receive. With mailed paper docs there´s still luggage tags sent out. With e-docs there´s an example of the luggage tags that can be printed and used as lugggae tag but no tags sent out. For people with e-docs the porters at the pier have tags available.

I have e-docs and did not see any image of a luggage tag. We are hoping we can just carry it on board our selves. We are using the med & small luggage of our set so i'm hopping they will fit through the scanner for carry ons

Magellans sells bright yellow luggage tags with the outside printed in several languages basically saying - look here!! to put your itinerary in. they are quite cheap. I would never put the cruise tags on before arriving.

My daughter used to load planes and the stories she can relate would sear your ears. Not illegal just they work so fast and the equipment grabs things. I use the itinerary tags AND put it in the pocket AND put it on top in the suitcase. I have had zippers pulled out - let alone the pulls--they make short work of those thin paper tags!!

Just returned from Egypt and they had my bags missing for two (2) days! on arrival. Since we were heading off for a Nile cruise for 7 days I really wanted my bags. Got 'em!!

The tags supplied by RC in the mailed documents are not too sturdy. I put them on at the hotel prior to arriving at the port and recently one of our bags delivery was delayed that night due to the tag being removed. They send two tags per person with the documents and I usually double up the tags when possible to prevent this.

Archived