Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamk

Just back from Grandeur - Canada/New England

Just returned from the Grandeur to Canada/NewEngland. We had a great time. The boat is beautiful! We had an outside, 2nd. floor cabin. It truly was the quietest cabin we've ever had. The ship is very stable, we only had one night when we rocked to sleep only because the waves were 13 to 20 feet. We were truly impressed by the lack of motion - better than any Celebrity ship we've been on. The cabins were very nice with lots of storage space. I didn't think they were small at all.

As far as the comments from others about wear and tear - I didn't see any except maybe the beige carpet on the steps had some stains, but it will probably be replaced or cleaned during dry dock. The Centrum is truly the heart of the ship - it's a great place to gather and enjoy the music. All the music on the ship was terrific and all enjoyed dancing.

The "famous sewer smell" was only really observed when we were waiting to disembark and they were emptying the tanks. We were outside and couldn't help but notice. But, I didn't hear anyone complaining about it in the ship.

We really enjoyed the shows in the theater. Almost every performer received a standing ovation from the audience. Go early to grab a seat.

The lounges and bars are all very nice with comfortable chairs and couches. Lots of fun games and trivia contests. I was happy they didn't have karaoke every single night like some cruises we've been on. Don't miss "Quest" if they play it. it is a lot of fun!!! We had a super Cruise Director, Tom Canosa, and staff.

The food was very good, especially the bread and rolls, desserts, and salads. We usually ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer. Breakfast was always the same, but enough variety to enjoy. The almond raisin bread in the morning was really good. We had lunch only once in the dining room and it is pretty fast compared to evening. The waiters really aim to please you in the dining room. All were very friendly. The Windjammer has a great view of the ocean while you're eating. It's right in the front of the ship. It does get crowded. In the nice weather you can eat right outside the Windjammer on nice padded chairs and tables. The Solarium offers hot dogs, cheeseburgers, pizza, and the "best fries".

The Solarium is a nice alternative to the outside pool. Very nicely decorated.

We did all our excursions through the ship and enjoyed them all. Peggy's Cove was a highlight in Halifax. We did the Jet Boat Ride in St. Johns, and yes, we did get wet even though we had rain gear on. I think they really want you to get wet to enjoy the full effect. We took a Bus Tour to Cadillac Mountain in Bar Harbor, great views of the area. You can see so much of the ports just going out and walking around. Quebec is a beautiful city with so much charm. You have to walk around the old city to truly see it after your other tours.

I hope I helped those that are going to Canada/New England in October on the Grandeur.. You will have a fabulous time - the leaves are probably going to be changing when you are there. That was our only disappointment - that we missed the peak colors. Have a great cruise. I wish I was going again.

Marilyn and Jerry

i'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your canada/new england cruise. i too just got back from a canada/new england cruise on jewel of the seas. in fact, when we were in saint john we saw grandeur.

i would say that saint john was defintely one of the highlights of my trip. i too did the jet boat ride and had a great time! and i was soaked underneath my rain gear as well. the lobster roll lunch they provided was yummy! i also brought an underwater camera with me on the excursion and got some great shots of the water crashing down upon us!

my only regret as well is that i went too early in the season to see much of the changing of the leaves. we saw some trees just starting to change color when we were in portland, but that was about it! i am sure that those traveling over the next couple of weeks will really get to see the full effects of fall!

Glad to hear all your positive input on your Canada/New England Cruise on the Grandeur. We are leaving on this same itinerary next Monday, Oct. 4 for 11 nights. Hopefully we also will have great weather on the sailing and in the ports. We are arriving in Baltimore Saturday, Oct. 2nd for some pre-cruise R&R and sightseeing there before we depart. How was the embark/debark process for you guys at the Baltimore Port? Also what shows, performers, acts, etc. did they have on the ship? I suppose they will be the same for this cruise. Really glad to hear the food and service was so wonderful!!! After all this is one of the highlights of cruising....LOL.

Again thanks for all the information.

Mamasoux,

We drove to the port and arrived around 1:15, the line wasn't too long and embark was fast and easy. We just had to show our passport and credit card - we didn't have to show the forms we had filled out on their website. They took the customary picture and went right on the boat. No waiting in chairs. We got back into Baltimore about 8:00 - it takes a while for Customs to clear the ship - and they started the Debark. process about 10:00. We were off by 11:30 since the drivers are last off. We could see people already arriving for the next trip and waiting. That really is too early since they were still cleaning the ship when we got off. It takes quite awhile to unload all the luggage. The busses back to the parking lot were right their went you walk out of the terminal. No problems, no hassles.

The entertainment consisted of several comedians even Marty Allen from the past. He was pretty funny. A US Olympic Gymnast, a magician, a tribute to the Temptations Group, a very good female singer that had been in Cats on Broadway, and they started a brand new show on our trip with the singers and dancers. I think you'll enjoy the shows.

The temperature averaged in the 60's. Be sure to pack some sweatshirts and jacket. People didn't swim in the outside pool until the last sea day. But, you can enjoy the indoor pool.

I forgot to mention we did see whales and seals during the trip! You'll enjoy cruising the Saguenay River. I would suggest getting up early that day. They had a speaker come onboard from a non-profit whale society that narrated the River. That's where we saw the Beluga Whales.

We didn't go on any of the Whale watching trips, but I did talk to a lady that saw whales in Bar Harbor. In fact, they were late coming back because they didn't want to leave.

When you get off the boat in St. John's - each woman receives a rose and men receive a pin. They have a tent set up with souvenirs right at the port, I thought they were reasonaly priced. In fact, that's where we bought most of our souvenirs for our kids. Moosehead Brewery shirts were about 15.00 and sweatshirts 2 for 30.00. You'll find lots of stores in Quebec for souvenirs also. There is also a neat market in St. John's that you might enjoy.

We went to a drug store in Bar Harbor and bought some bottled water and Pepsi. No problem taking onboard. Security staff is friendly.

Have a great trip! :-)

MAMK:

Thank you so much for all the additional cruise info. It sure gave us a lot more insight in what to expect, see and do on the Grandeur Cruise. I just wish we had more people on the CruiseCritic Boards that was as informative as guys like you! So many cruisers miss out on sooo much that do not utilize the boards. We are looking forward to our cruise and can't wait until Monday. Like a lot of us.....we would enjoy ourselves even if we just sit in the harbor and went nowhere!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Mammasoux, We were on the last NE/Canada cruise on the Granduer last year disembarking on October 31st. The weather was freezing and raining the whole time and we decided next time we would definately do it a few weeks earlier. Mind you, we had a fantastic cruise, loved the ship, and sitting in the bar area or the Windjammer enjoying the view of our ports was wonderful. :D