How do etickets for airplanes work?

barante

if you got an eticket online go to the airline site and pick your seat or call them you have your reservation number on the e-ticket when you get to the airport go to the curb they scan the e-ticket and print out your boarding pass or down load your boarding pass 24 hours before departure

If you book online, you will be able (on most airlines) to choose your seats right away online! Then, you'll print out an "itinerary" page with all your flight numbers and seat numbers! Easy!

Except for checking luggage, you hardly have to even see an airline employee anymore!

If I buy an electronic ticket for a plane, I get a ticket number. After that, what? Do I just walk with that number to the airport. And how does one make seat selections?
Okay, you have your e-ticket, what next?

Most airlines allow you to check in within 24 hours of departure. So you can print your own boarding pass. You need a boarding pass to get past security.

However, you don't have to print your boarding pass. You can get your boarding pass at the airport. So what do you need? You need a government issued ID. What about your e-ticket? Forget it, they don't need it. When you get to the airport you tell them where you are going. Sometimes you have to tell them which flight (when several are going to the same city you are). No matter whether you show them your e-ticket or not, they want to see your ID. So, your ID is all you need.

As to picking out a seat, that seems to be in a state of flux right now. Some airlines are charging extra to pick a seat, some are not. So, you can pick a seat when you buy your e-ticket. Otherwise you can pick your seat (from those that are left) at the airport, or the computer will assign you a seat.

Perhaps it is best to pretend that once you buy an e-ticket, your driver's license becomes your ticket. In addition you will need a boarding pass to get past security. However, boarding passes are not available until you are within 24 hours of the scheduled takeoff.

barante,

Since all the major airlines issue e-tickets and you don't know how they work, could it be that you have never flown on an airplane?

No criticism intended, but I have never met someone who hasn't been on an airplane.

You are quite unique................

barante,

Since all the major airlines issue e-tickets and you don't know how they work, could it be that you have never flown on an airplane?

No criticism intended, but I have never met someone who hasn't been on an airplane.

You would be surprised. I have taken several people on their first flight. In fact, I know a father who has never flown, even though his son and daughter have several times.

barante,

You should meet my mom. She is 70 and I am taking her on her first flight next month ans she is a nervous wreck.

BruceMuzz -- I hazard to guess I have flown as much as you have. On all major airlines and on airlines you have never heard of. Even on a scheduled DC 3 in Ethiopia around 1987. On South African military planes in Namibia, on Soviet paratrooper planes in Afghanistan.

However, because my wife stopped flying since we came back from overseas and my job no longer required out-of-town plane travel, I have never used an eticket.

My last trans-Atlantic flight was three years ago and the travel agency sent a paper ticket.

Satisfied?

Okay, you have your e-ticket, what next?

Most airlines allow you to check in within 24 hours of departure. So you can print your own boarding pass. You need a boarding pass to get past security.

However, you don't have to print your boarding pass. You can get your boarding pass at the airport. So what do you need? You need a government issued ID. What about your e-ticket? Forget it, they don't need it. When you get to the airport you tell them where you are going. Sometimes you have to tell them which flight (when several are going to the same city you are). No matter whether you show them your e-ticket or not, they want to see your ID. So, your ID is all you need.

As to picking out a seat, that seems to be in a state of flux right now. Some airlines are charging extra to pick a seat, some are not. So, you can pick a seat when you buy your e-ticket. Otherwise you can pick your seat (from those that are left) at the airport, or the computer will assign you a seat.

Perhaps it is best to pretend that once you buy an e-ticket, your driver's license becomes your ticket. In addition you will need a boarding pass to get past security. However, boarding passes are not available until you are within 24 hours of the scheduled takeoff.

Don't forget the credit card you booked your flight with, too! Sometimes you need that at a kiosk to print a boarding pass at the airport.

Don't forget the credit card you booked your flight with, too! Sometimes you need that at a kiosk to print a boarding pass at the airport.

Just wanted to add that actually, all it has to be is a credit card with your name on it. Not necessrily the one you booked with. I didn't know this until I booked and paid for several people, all on my credit card. We were at the airport and my son in law went to the kiosk and slid his card and it bought up his reservation. So it only has to be any credit card with your name on it.

the self check in is the best. we printed out the "eticket" (which was just an email really), than we went to the computer kiosk thing, entered in the number, (like the other posters mentioned i believe you could also use your DL number or other) weighed our own luggage, and that was it. took 5 minutes.

I have never used an eticket and would desire to continue using paper tickets as long as possible. We usually book our own travel direct with airlines, sometimes with a TA. Our new TA told us she can't get paper tickets any longer.

This discussion is useful if we end up with an eticket as a last resort.

Did find while we were in Europe in October, even though we had a paper tickets, to get seat assignment a day in advance we had to use the kiosk at the Athens Airport.

We like to do business the old fashion way - face to face. Still feel we get better service that way.

I have never used an eticket and would desire to continue using paper tickets as long as possible. We usually book our own travel direct with airlines, sometimes with a TA. Our new TA told us she can't get paper tickets any longer.

This discussion is useful if we end up with an eticket as a last resort.

Did find while we were in Europe in October, even though we had a paper tickets, to get seat assignment a day in advance we had to use the kiosk at the Athens Airport.

We like to do business the old fashion way - face to face. Still feel we get better service that way.

It used to be the airlines charged an extra fee for a paper ticket. Now many will not offer a paper ticket for any price. The advantage of an e-ticket is that you cannot loose it.

I'm pretty much odl school as well and I like e-tickets. You can print your boarding pass early and then check your bags at the "you already have your boarding pass" line which is normally shorter.

It sure beats when I travelled for a living with several thousand dollars of paper tickets stuffed in my briefcase. As to seat selection, depending on how you booked (i.e. discounter) you may have to call or even some airlines (the low rent ones) do not allow early seat selection without a fee. I just had that experience with TransAir and doubt if I will use them again as it really PO'd me as when the site came to seat assignment, there were additional charges. Then there is SW that typically does not allow early assignments.

I still run into a fair amount of people that have never flown and I'm not sure why that even matters to the OP's question.

Paper tickets have gone the way of the do-do bird!! e-tickets or electronic tickets are the only kind being issued these days. Easy to use - just take your passport with you and the credit card used to purchase the ticket and you can bypass person to person contact until you actually board the plane. Anything outside a domestic flight does require a valid passport.

Archived