Confused about which port in LA area

gargoyle999

I'm getting very confused about what port Princess uses in the LA area. I'm reading things about LA, San Pedro and Long Beach harbors! Are these three different places?

Can someone tell me exactly where I need to go? :confused:

Good Morning..San Pedro is the Princess port of embarkation and disembarkation here in the "Los Angeles" area. Long Beach, a separate city, seaport is used by Carnival cruises. By the way it San Pedro is a user friendly port.

Enjoy your cruise.

ok thanks! Is the port Princess uses also known as the World Cruise Center? This is is something I found by searching for San Pedro Pier 93.

Terminal Information

The World Cruise Center at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, California is approximately 18 miles (29 kilometers) south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), 25 miles (40 kilometers) south of downtown Los Angeles and 10 miles (16 kilometers) east of Long Beach, with easy freeway access from both directions.

The official name is the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro. I just got off the Diamond Monday and we docked at Pier 91/92. There are signs once you get their to direct you to the correct ship. Royal Carribean also uses this terminal.

Mary W.

ok thanks! Is the port Princess uses also known as the World Cruise Center? This is is something I found by searching for San Pedro Pier 93.

Terminal Information

The World Cruise Center at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, California is approximately 18 miles (29 kilometers) south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), 25 miles (40 kilometers) south of downtown Los Angeles and 10 miles (16 kilometers) east of Long Beach, with easy freeway access from both directions.

Yes, in addition to being known as the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro, it is also known as the World Cruise Center. We have a way out here of over naming things ... like the 10 Freeway at one point is the Santa Monica Freeway and then it becomes the San Bernardino Freeway. Or how the Hollywood Freeway is at one point the 170 and then the 101. And of course our most recent debacle, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Or is that the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles, I can never remember. Makes perfect sense, I know :confused: (not), but when I first moved here 20 years ago, it made traveling to and fro difficult. Good luck. ;)

Ok thanks everyone! I was worried the hotel I got from Priceline was in the wrong area but looks like I picked the correct location! I'm directionally challenged and if I'm supposed to go left I always go right and vise versa!

Guess I'll bring my GPS along for the day and half I'll have before my cruise. Otherwise it's guaranteed I'll get lost and miss the ship! :)

Hello,

You asked a very good question, and it was very helpful that an especially kind respondent sent you a map of this part of Southern California.

Please get a good map of Southern California, as this is a very big area geographically, and I for one do not want you getting lost.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Hello,

You asked a very good question, and it was very helpful that an especially kind respondent sent you a map of this part of Southern California.

Yes, that picture was great! I used it to match up with an aerial view from mapquest to figure out exactly where the pier is and my hotel will be!

Princess could be a lot more detailed on its website I think for giving the location of the pier.

LAX to San Pedro is about 19 miles.

Nineteen miles or about two hours, depending on your mode of transportation!!:eek: Ours was SuperShuttle:(.

Hi , I live here near both ports, no worries, the ports are just 15 to 20 minutes apart, so no matter where your hotels is near either port you should be fine. LAX to San Pedro is about 20 miles, but the time it takes to go that distance can vary a great deal depending on our traffic , it can be awful , so allow yourself plenty of time. Have a great cruise.

Cori

someone mentioned the super shuttle, and there are also Princess transfers available. Does anyone know approx cost of cab from LAX to pier? and what type of transportation would be the quickest on a Sat afternoon in October?

thanks for any info.

someone mentioned the super shuttle, and there are also Princess transfers available. Does anyone know approx cost of cab from LAX to pier? and what type of transportation would be the quickest on a Sat afternoon in October?
There are two major shuttle services that run continuously from all of the LAX terminals to the pier. One is Super Shuttle, the other is Prime Time Shuttle. They both stop outside every terminal every 10 - 15 minutes or so and they are a lot cheaper than getting a cab. If you're stuck in traffic, your cab cost would be horrendous and unfortunately, heavy traffic is the norm around LAX at pretty much any hour with Saturdays being no exception.

Yes, in addition to being known as the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro, it is also known as the World Cruise Center. We have a way out here of over naming things ... like the 10 Freeway at one point is the Santa Monica Freeway and then it becomes the San Bernardino Freeway. Or how the Hollywood Freeway is at one point the 170 and then the 101. And of course our most recent debacle, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Or is that the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles, I can never remember. Makes perfect sense, I know :confused: (not), but when I first moved here 20 years ago, it made traveling to and fro difficult. Good luck. ;)

You forgot the 101 being the Hollywood freeway until it becomes the Ventura Fwy (but there's also the 134 which is also the Ventura Fwy). At least the 118 is just that, except it's also the Ronald Reagan freeway or the Simi Valley freeway. Whew.:eek:

Ok thanks everyone! I was worried the hotel I got from Priceline was in the wrong area but looks like I picked the correct location! I'm directionally challenged and if I'm supposed to go left I always go right and vise versa!

Guess I'll bring my GPS along for the day and half I'll have before my cruise. Otherwise it's guaranteed I'll get lost and miss the ship! :)

If you're a member of Triple A, get their free maps and tour guide (Southern California).

Where is your hotel? Hopefully you picked an okay area as there as some dicey ones.

As for getting to the port, just make sure you tell them San Pedro (Carnival is just about the only one that uses Long Beach). If the driver takes you to LB, you're wasting time and money.

If going from the Harbor freeway, the driver should be getting off at Harbor Blvd. (whether coming from the south or north). When taking the offramp, the driver should get in the middle line and then go across Harbor Blvd., right into the entrance of the World Cruise Center. You'll be able to see the cruiseships in the distance. After going thru the guard booth, you'll see a marquee with the cruiseships and their berths listed. You'll be taken UP to the unloading zone for your berth.

If you're a member of Triple A' date=' get their free maps and tour guide (Southern California).

Where is your hotel? Hopefully you picked an okay area as there as some dicey ones.

As for getting to the port, just make sure you tell them San Pedro (Carnival is just about the only one that uses Long Beach). If the driver takes you to LB, you're wasting time and money. [/quote']

That's a good idea about AAA! I do have it, but forget about using them to get maps and guides.

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza on S Palos Verdes St. Got it through priceline. Seems like a lot of others stay there. Course I didn't find that out until I bid $75 and found everyone else gets $65 accepted. Should know by now to always check CC first for all aspects of a trip involving a cruise! :D

Getting a rental car for the time before our cruise as we'll get in two days early and then have a full day to do something before the cruise. Maybe just do an all day thing like Disneyland. Don't want to spend all my time stuck in traffic driving around!

Will return the car to LGB and (currently) plan on taking supershuttle to the (hopefully correct) pier.

The Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel with some nice casual restaurants close by. If you plan to go to Disneyland on a week day you will encounter morning rush hour traffic...wait till about 10:00am (or go before 6:00am!!) If it's a weekend then head out early (before 9:00am). LGB is only about 20 minutes from the pier (and Crowne Plaza)...I think a cab would be less $$ than SuperShuttle.

Archived