Fuel Surcharge Gift

Jsipes

I read Celebrita is giving guests a "Fuel Surcharge Gift" ie, a Picnic Blanket on some ships, and others a Cookbook. Does anyone who has recently cruised know if HAL is doing something similar......

I read Celebrita is giving guests a "Fuel Surcharge Gift" ie, a Picnic Blanket on some ships, and others a Cookbook. Does anyone who has recently cruised know if HAL is doing something similar......

I think that's WONDERFUL PR. In such a competitive market, I think that was a slick move.

It won't impress most of us on Cruise Critic, but a nice gesture, anyway. There might be some folks who've never cruised before that will at LEAST check out their prices and itineraries.

(Gimmee good fares!) ;)

Got my "fuel surcharge logo Item" from Celebrity and brought it home intending to sell it on E-bay. IT was a picnic blanket. Now though they have decided to refund my "fuel surcharge fee" so I called and asked if Celebrity wanted the Logo item back. They declined. I guess I'll keep it and sell it at the local flee market.

My fuel surcharge refund is going to cover the cost of my upcoming cruise fuel surcharge. Booked while onboard this past month. Oh well at least I knew about it when I booked. It wasn't sprung on me ten months later after I had bought airfare and hotels!

(Gimmee good fares!) ;)

I probably haven't been staying on top of this issue like I should ... but, what's the deal? Are the surcharges cancelled on HAL too, or do we still get accessed the extra $70 bucks?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Celebrity and their parent company, RCL were taken to task because their cruise contract did not give them the right to charge a retroactive surcharge.

Conversely, the Carnival family of brands did have this language in their contracts and brochures. Regardless, they remain in discussion with the Florida AG and there is another report, on another thread, that says Carnival has reserved income derived from the retro-active fuel surcharges, in case they do agree to return it.

Both corporations probably should have gone to $6 p/p per day and made it effective with new bookings. Who knows, given the price of oil, they may just do this.

I wonder how it goes on NCL and other cruise lines that jumped on the fuel surcharge after CCL.

There are so many posts on other boards where passengers planned to remove auto tips to compensate for the fuel surcharge. Made me sick.

There are so many posts on other boards where passengers planned to remove auto tips to compensate for the fuel surcharge. Made me sick.
Me, too. I can understand being miffed at the charge, but THAT is not the way to handle or compensate for it. Putting it on the backs of the hard-working stewards is beyond the pale.

Archived