Comfortable Shoes ??

I'm hoping that others have some suggestions on shoes that are comfortable but still fashionable. I wear orthotics in my sneakers so I try to make comfort a priority when chosing footwear esp since I won't be able to wear them with sandals. For last years cruise I had a broken little toe so my options were limited to something soft against the toe. Today I spent the better part of my day running from one shoe place to another. Is there a particular brand of sandal or store that might have comfort and fashion both? I'll be wearing a black formal cocktail dress for the first formal night so I need something that will work with that. Thanks for any help :)

Here are some that ought to be comfy:

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=ACE.FOR&colorcode=BLACK&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=CLASSIFIED&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=CENTER.FOR&colorcode=BLACK&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=CLASSIFIED&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=GUIDE.FOR&colorcode=BLACK&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=CLASSIFIED&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

The Classified brand has always been comfy for me, and I have toe problems also.

Hush Puppies also are kind to my toes:

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=EMMA.D7.HUS&colorcode=BLK&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=HUSH%20PUPPIES&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=MADISSYN.SOFTST&colorcode=NAVY&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=HUSH%20PUPPIES&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

I also like Mootsie Tootsies and Sam & Libby for toe-friendliness:

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=LEV.MOO&colorcode=BKFAB&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=MOOTSIE%20TOOTSIE&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=BABYME.MOO&colorcode=BKSAT&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=MOOTSIE%20TOOTSIE&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com/ProductPage.aspx?Style=EVERAFTER.SAM&colorcode=BLACK%20SATIN&dept=FOOTWEAR&brand=SAM%20&%20LIBBY&isFromCart=False&iscoupon=false&couponprice=0.00

Good luck! :)

Just try on a bunch of different shoes--if they feel good, buy them!* What is a good brand for one, may not be for you! Walk in them, and do it at a good pace, like you would walk in them on a shopping trip! (Most folks amble about--taking short,slow steps---that won't really give you a good indication of how the shoes really feel!) Walk like you mean it! If they don't rub, or pinch or hurt, they're good to go!

Have a look at Merrells, there are many different styles and all have great support,

My husband, when trying them on in the shop commented that they felt like runners but were open.

Can be a bit pricey but hey, should we put a price on comfort?

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to look at Merrill's again...I bought one pair of Ecco's flats and one pair of Ecco's walking shoes, but they are not dressy.

Thanks for all the suggestions! You hit the problem I'm having ...what's comfortable does not look dressy in the least :( I'm going to hit up some more of the stores to see if I can find something this week. Here's a question that might make my shopping easier. I've been looking mainly at the sandals that tend to be dressy but I see Merrell's has quite a few sandals that lean more towards casual. I just do not want to look like an "odd ball" wearing a formal dress and shoes that really clash. I'm really hoping that I don't have to chose between comfort and fashion but I may be dreaming?

Houndmom, There are some good ideas. I have the same problem. I need a low heel and I have a narrow heel. Do you know of any comfortable slingbacks? Thanks!

This is off the OP's topic, but an answer to your question.

If you have narrow heels, there are simply no slingbacks for you. I know, as I too have narrow heels and have tried for 15 years to buy a pair and now know just to not even bother trying them on.

They will never work with a narrow heel, no matter how tight you make the buckle, or even if you buy a shoe with an A width. They'll alway slip off your feet.

The only success I've had is if there is also a strap that goes across the instep to hold the foot in

6900-438342-t.jpg

I'm not suggesting these particular shoes, nor saying I like them, just illustrating my point.

Also, for sandals, I stick to backless slides.

------------------------------------------------------

To the OP,

If you buy shoes made from stiff leather, they'll always hurt.

And if you buy shoes made w/ a manmade sole, they'll burn and hurt and will never be comfortable. (a rubber sole on a sneaker being the exception)

Even if you were to buy a shoe with a satin upper, make sure the sole is pure leather. Or thickly leather lined if it's a high quality rubber sole)

Cheap shoes always cost more in the longrun. Buy quality and your feet will feel good. :)

Actually, one brand that I can recommend is Taryn Rose. She's a podiatrist and came out with a line of comfort shoes (day and evening) that are a huge success. My hair stylist, who's on her feet all day won't wear any other brand now.

They're expensive, though she's recently come out with another line that's less, called something like Taryn too, or Taryn Rose Too...or something like that.

They're sold in Sak's, Neimans and on Zappos.

From Zappos site:

Taryn Rose changed the footwear industry in 1998 by creating a line of luxury shoes that are as comfortable as they are beautiful. Her idea of being well-dressed with a sense of well-being touched a nerve with fashionable women from coast-to-coast, creating a dedicated following for her footwear collection. Formally trained as an orthopedic surgeon, Rose saw patients with many serious foot problems that were caused by fashion footwear, high heels and pointed toes. Being a lover of beautiful footwear, her own feet ached after 14-hour days in shoes with three-inch heels. In the fashion world where beauty and pain go hand-in-hand, Taryn Rose shoes offer women the opportunity to wear exquisite footwear which is also good for their feet.

Hand-sewn in Italy and made from the finest materials, Taryn Rose shoes are known for their style, ease and remarkable fit. In fact, her customers evangelize them as the most comfortable designer shoes they’ve ever worn. Hailed by the footwear industry and the media as “revolutionary,” Taryn prefers to describe her fast-growing company as “evolutionary” since the product she creates responds to changes in how we live. Taryn Rose shoes and Taryn Rose handbags are sold in over 200 locations internationally.

What makes a Taryn Rose shoe different? Arch Support: Taryn Rose shoes are built on an asymmetrical last, allowing for full arch support, which increases the foot’s mobility within the shoe, decreases fatigue and protects the ankles. Breathability: Taryn Rose shoes are lined with the same final quality of leather used on the uppers, making the foot more comfortable from the inside out. It also increases breathability, because natural materials breathe in a way that synthetics cannot. Cushioning: A generous cushion of Poron® is built in to support the ball of the foot. Poron® is a foam with memory, so it literally springs back to retain its shape. Flexibility: Extra cushioning and supple materials encourage the foot to move naturally within the shoe. Lightness: Taryn Rose is constantly looking for materials to cushion the foot and provide support without adding weight. Evolutionary: Taryn Rose shoes have been designed in response to changes in the way we live. Customers lead active lives and want to be able to think on their feet. Details: Special attention is paid to the well-being of the customers and to the planet. The use of water-soluble glue is less toxic than commercial cobbler’s glues and allows the shoes to breathe and stretch naturally, decreasing tears and extending their functional life.

These are all very comfortable, and most come in different colors and materials such as leather, suede, etc.

PAAAIAHKBFBEGOFEt.jpg

OB-AV046_CrocsC_20071204185434.jpg

crocs.standard.jpg

They may not be high fashion, but comfortable, and I don't think anyone will notice that you are wearing Crocs.

I like Finn Comfort and Taryn Rose. They are pricey, but they last. I have some ancient Trotters I wear for formal nights. Wish I could find more, but haven't seen any made like these. They have a cross-over strap and a 2 in. heel. I had a shoe shop put arch support in them. Oprah says Cole Hahn makes a comfortable heel using Nike tech. Happy hunting. Jinn

Houndmom, There are some good ideas. I have the same problem. I need a low heel and I have a narrow heel. Do you know of any comfortable slingbacks? Thanks!

This is a local store that has a HUGE selection at decent prices. Just do a search for "slingback." :)

http://www.shoesonashoestring.com

Hope you find something comfy AND pretty. :)

I swear by Onex. You can see these at:

Onex - Shoes - Free Shipping Both Ways & 365-Day Return Policy

You might also find them in your town.

Jan

THANK YOU~! I ordered 2 pairs from Zappos tonight since the sizing was questionable. I can not wait until they get here! I ordered the Corona sandal which is exactly what I was hoping to find.

Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful ideas! Before I lost weight I had alot of problems with bone spurs in my heels and fascitis. Foot exercises, meds, cortisone injections in my ankle area and orthotics for my shoes along with weight loss has eliminated the pain. I never wish to endure that again so comfort is a priority for me. Thanks again for sharing all of your input. I will report back once they arrive :)

Betty,

I am glad you found some shoes you like! Like you I have lost weight, so I feel like I can try for something more attractive than before!

Thanks to Jan, redeyed frog, and Jane for your suggestions. I have been searching tonight at Zappo's and Shoes on a Shoestring. Some of the styles l like are patent or aren't wide, but I am still looking.

Jane, I agree that a strap makes shoes fit my type of foot better than a simple slingback. I will keep looking and let you know what I find. I have a better idea of what I need.

Thanks so much!

Actually, one brand that I can recommend is Taryn Rose. She's a podiatrist and came out with a line of comfort shoes (day and evening) that are a huge success. My hair stylist, who's on her feet all day won't wear any other brand now.

They're expensive, though she's recently come out with another line that's less, called something like Taryn too, or Taryn Rose Too...or something like that.

They're sold in Sak's, Neimans and on Zappos.

From Zappos site:

Taryn Rose changed the footwear industry in 1998 by creating a line of luxury shoes that are as comfortable as they are beautiful. Her idea of being well-dressed with a sense of well-being touched a nerve with fashionable women from coast-to-coast, creating a dedicated following for her footwear collection. Formally trained as an orthopedic surgeon, Rose saw patients with many serious foot problems that were caused by fashion footwear, high heels and pointed toes. Being a lover of beautiful footwear, her own feet ached after 14-hour days in shoes with three-inch heels. In the fashion world where beauty and pain go hand-in-hand, Taryn Rose shoes offer women the opportunity to wear exquisite footwear which is also good for their feet.

Hand-sewn in Italy and made from the finest materials, Taryn Rose shoes are known for their style, ease and remarkable fit. In fact, her customers evangelize them as the most comfortable designer shoes they’ve ever worn. Hailed by the footwear industry and the media as “revolutionary,” Taryn prefers to describe her fast-growing company as “evolutionary” since the product she creates responds to changes in how we live. Taryn Rose shoes and Taryn Rose handbags are sold in over 200 locations internationally.

What makes a Taryn Rose shoe different? Arch Support: Taryn Rose shoes are built on an asymmetrical last, allowing for full arch support, which increases the foot’s mobility within the shoe, decreases fatigue and protects the ankles. Breathability: Taryn Rose shoes are lined with the same final quality of leather used on the uppers, making the foot more comfortable from the inside out. It also increases breathability, because natural materials breathe in a way that synthetics cannot. Cushioning: A generous cushion of Poron® is built in to support the ball of the foot. Poron® is a foam with memory, so it literally springs back to retain its shape. Flexibility: Extra cushioning and supple materials encourage the foot to move naturally within the shoe. Lightness: Taryn Rose is constantly looking for materials to cushion the foot and provide support without adding weight. Evolutionary: Taryn Rose shoes have been designed in response to changes in the way we live. Customers lead active lives and want to be able to think on their feet. Details: Special attention is paid to the well-being of the customers and to the planet. The use of water-soluble glue is less toxic than commercial cobbler’s glues and allows the shoes to breathe and stretch naturally, decreasing tears and extending their functional life.

Jane - thank you so much for this info. Taryn Rose sounds like it is exactly what I need. I found Cole Haan up here in Canada and tried a pair of evening pumps on, but I have to admit, I did not feel any difference with the "Nike Air" technology. Definitely not for my feet. Now, I am a different case, in that within the past year I had total knee replacement surgery on both legs.

But I am ready for some pretty shoes! I just have to be able to walk in them, and I am very impressed with the philosophy of the Taryn Rose line. I will check it out when I'm in NYC in a couple of weeks.

(ps - Jane, this is the second recommendation you've given me for my shopping trip. Keep this up and I'll be begging you to come with me for the day!!! lol) All kidding aside, I appreciate your advice.:)

Jane - thank you so much for this info. Taryn Rose sounds like it is exactly what I need. I found Cole Haan up here in Canada and tried a pair of evening pumps on' date=' but I have to admit, I did not feel any difference with the "Nike Air" technology. Definitely not for my feet. Now, I am a different case, in that within the past year I had total knee replacement surgery on both legs.

But I am ready for some pretty shoes! I just have to be able to walk in them, and I am very impressed with the philosophy of the Taryn Rose line. I will check it out when I'm in NYC in a couple of weeks.

(ps - Jane, this is the second recommendation you've given me for my shopping trip. Keep this up and I'll be begging you to come with me for the day!!! lol) All kidding aside, I appreciate your advice.:)[/quote']

I'll second Jane's suggestion for Taryn Rose. Have a girlfriend with really bad problems with her feet and she can only wear Taryn Rose.

I'll second Jane's suggestion for Taryn Rose. Have a girlfriend with really bad problems with her feet and she can only wear Taryn Rose.

Thanks. I will definitely be checking them out! I just found this pair on Zappos.com that I LOVE!!! Unfortunately Zappos Canada doesn't carry Taryn Rose:(

6218-345758-t.jpg 4998-345767-t.jpg

And I'm still looking!!!!

After looking at lots of shoes, I decided to buy Trotter's Bridget or Dinah. The idea of the strap or more support across the middle helped me to change direction.

I am looking at 2 styles, and I will buy both and keep the best fit. They come in wide, and they have good reviews for comfort and fit.

I'm having trouble copying the image, but if you Google Trotter's +either name, you will see the picture. BTW how did you do that?

Thank you so much for your help. I have really had trouble finding pretty, but comfortable dress shoes for a long time.

Only 2 weeks till we leave!!

After looking at lots of shoes, I decided to buy Trotter's Bridget or Dinah. The idea of the strap or more support across the middle helped me to change direction.

I am looking at 2 styles, and I will buy both and keep the best fit. They come in wide, and they have good reviews for comfort and fit.

I'm having trouble copying the image, but if you Google Trotter's +either name, you will see the picture. BTW how did you do that?

Thank you so much for your help. I have really had trouble finding pretty, but comfortable dress shoes for a long time.

Only 2 weeks till we leave!!

Are these the shoes you are looking at:

phoen160607_28204_lg.jpgphoen230245_130702_lg.jpg

Check out some Clarks. I have two pairs of sandals that I am taking on my cruise. Very comfortable. I got one pair on Amazon and one brand new pair on Ebay for $20.00... I guess most people weren't looking to buy sandals in Feburary! lol

missty

My Zappos order came yesterday afternoon. I was so thrilled with their service. They upgraded me to next day shipping for free. It was offered as an option for an additional $25 but since my cruise isn't for a month I didn't want to pay the extra. I ordered two sizes of the Onex Corona sandal since sizing is an issue for this brand. I normally can wear anything from a 7.5- 8.5 depending on how the shoe/sandal is made. I ordered an 8 and the next size available was a 10. I thought no way was the 10 going to work but after reading reviews saw many people ordered bigger sizes and they worked well. The size 8 was really small but the 10 actually fit with just a little extra wiggle room. I contemplated trying to find a 9 in this style but decided to stay with the 10 since my feet do swell a little on cruises. These sandals feel like heaven on my feet and are easy to walk in. Thank you for the reccomendation~!!! Since I rarely have the need to wear anything dressy these fit my budget nicely and I won't mind having them sit in my closet between cruises :) I had a bad customer service experience with Zappos years ago but they have redeemed themselves nicely with this experience. Since they actually encourage people to "order many different sizes styles to try on and keep what we like and return the rest" I will be back for more shoes in the future!! Thanks again :) Good luck to those who are still looking for comfortable but stylish shoes. Keep posting your finds ladies as it may inspire additional shoe purchases ;)

I have a pair of Ralph Lauren sneakers (TJ Maxx) that I got years ago that are the most comfortable sneakers I've ever owned; never make my feet sore. I can walk all over the place in those. I always wear them on the plane and to board the ship, and on some excursions. After that, I have a pair of casual leopard print Birkenstocks, which was a real splurge for me. Last year, while in Key West, I bought my 2nd pair of Birkenstocks and they are a silvery black, 3 straps, with rhinestone buckles:D I LOVE them. The other thing I wear for formal night are a pair of satin heels with rhinestone dragonflies across the top of my foot. I actually bought them knowing they were a little too high for me, but then, I took them to our shoe repair guy and had him cut the heel down for me. It was $10 but I have a very pretty pair of comfortable heels that I can actually wear.

I would try on the shoes you are going to purchase and not buy them online. You won't know until you receive them if there is already something about them that is going to bother you. Also, just in case something happens, I always take a small sheet of moleskin with me. It comes in very handy in the event of a rub or blister, or whatever.

Are these the shoes you are looking at:

phoen160607_28204_lg.jpgphoen230245_130702_lg.jpg

Yes, I also ordered from Zappo's, and they upgraded my order too. The shoes were here within 24 hours!

Both are black. The shoe on the left is prettier, but it is not comfortable. I will be wearing the shoe on the right. (Actually the pair.) I believe I will be able to wear them all night without pain. :)

Last year on our cruise I had a prettier shoe, but it hurt. I went back to the room to change as soon as I could. Thanks so much to everyone again.

Archived