Can you connect to the internet while in flight?

Karshrimp

I know this is a stupid question to some, but I honestly don't know the answer! :confused:

I want to take our laptop on our 4 hour flight on American. My husband says you can't connect to the internet while flying. Is this true? Then what are all those people I see on their laptops doing?

I don;t thing AA ever offered internet connections. A few airlines did (Korean, for one) but most or all have stopped due to poor sales (you didn't think it was ever free, did you?).

There is a new push, using different technology to bring at least a subset back (mainly email) but we shall see.

The people you see with open laptops are usually doing one of three things:

1) Watching a movie or listening to music

2) working

3) looking like they are working because their boss is sitting next to them.

Paul

Doesn't work so far-the interface is tooo unstable. You could get connected, then get IMMEDIATELY kicked off.

AA put it on two of their Flagship service 762 flights from LAX/SFO to JFK, so far. They let everyone in business and first play around with it in February. Lots of interest, but lots of boos, too. MAYBE they will get it worked out. Boeing Connexion sure didn't last long. Pretty pricey-$29.00 for the flight. That is what the FA thought, anyhow. And unless it is a big hit, it will only be on the 762 transcons for the time being.

Emirates is now allowing cell calls from their planes. Qantas and AirFrance will be rolling out cell service this year, as well as RyanAir and Turkish Airlines. When everyone gets cell service in a plane, I am going to quit flying. Can you imagine the noise in the plane????

I just flew in today on AA. You could only use your laptop if you had the wireless feature turned off. That was stated on all four plane I was one the past couple days. All of them were AA flights.

As posted above, only 2 of AA's 762 have been retrofitted for internet (which doesn't work very well yet). All other AA planes require wi-fi to be turned off.

When everyone gets cell service in a plane, I am going to quit flying. Can you imagine the noise in the plane????

How awful. It is bad enough the people who take phone calls in the movie theater.

When everyone gets cell service in a plane, I am going to quit flying. Can you imagine the noise in the plane????

Actually, I see this a great business opportunity. Building a cell phone blocker is easy and inexpensive (seriously illegal in most places to either make or use, but don't bother me with the details). I figure I can sell these in the airports for a 100% mark-up. On the plane, I would be able to easily get a 500% mark-up ... just picture sitting down for a 10-hour flight and the bozo next to you starts yelling "Ya, dude, show me the money, bro" into his cell phone.

BTW, quite a few of these things are sold from England. There it is legal to sell them, but not to use them (sounds like an Opium Wars remix). When I was running an office in Buenos Aries, they were common in theaters.. illegal, but common.

So, greatam, are we going into business together? ....

Noisy seatmate keeping you awake on the plane? Get a GREAT night's

sleep with GreatAM's CellNuker. Only 100 euros (US$350).

Paul

Why do you think I never leave home without a pair of earplugs in my purse?

Actually, I see this a great business opportunity. Building a cell phone blocker is easy and inexpensive (seriously illegal in most places to either make or use, but don't bother me with the details). I figure I can sell these in the airports for a 100% mark-up. On the plane, I would be able to easily get a 500% mark-up ... just picture sitting down for a 10-hour flight and the bozo next to you starts yelling "Ya, dude, show me the money, bro" into his cell phone.

BTW, quite a few of these things are sold from England. There it is legal to sell them, but not to use them (sounds like an Opium Wars remix). When I was running an office in Buenos Aries, they were common in theaters.. illegal, but common.

So, greatam, are we going into business together? ....

Noisy seatmate keeping you awake on the plane? Get a GREAT night's

sleep with GreatAM's CellNuker. Only 100 euros (US$350).

Paul

Maybe you could package it with the little gizmo that keeps the person in front of you from reclining.:rolleyes: :D

Emirates is now allowing cell calls from their planes. Qantas and AirFrance will be rolling out cell service this year, as well as RyanAir and Turkish Airlines. When everyone gets cell service in a plane, I am going to quit flying. Can you imagine the noise in the plane????
At least Qantas is doing the decent thing: You can use your cell phone but only for SMS and GPRS - no voice calls.

Holy cow. That thing is only good for starting inflight fistfights.:D

I cannot imagine 200 or 300 people all talking on the phone at the same time. I remember being in first class to Hawaii years ago (mileage upgrade) and there were 3 or 4 people on the airphone for 4 hours. It was impossible to get any rest with them yapping. I actually asked to be moved to coach after 3 hours of that. I switched with someone in a bulkhead seat, and slept the rest of the way.:p

The people you see with open laptops are usually doing one of three things:

1) Watching a movie or listening to music

2) working

3) looking like they are working because their boss is sitting next to them.

Paul

You forgot one ...

4) playing games

Archived