Cabin available? Princess says no, big online agency says yes

mikeythemars

We're booked through a cruise agency on an August CB sailing. Have a confirmed balcony cabin. Last week, we'd decided that we'd like to try and move into the same type of cabin in a higher category on a different deck. At the time, it was sold out, so our agent put us on the wait list for it.

Just to stay current, I've been since regularly tracking various websites (included Princess) to see if any availabilty in the category opens up. Until now, no.

However, five minutes ago, I saw the following:

On the Princess website, if I try to book into the category, I'm still told "wait list only."

However, if I go to the website of a certain very well known established general online travel agency (air, hotels, cruises, you-name it), it is allowing me to book the exact type of cabin we want, in fact in the area of the deck we'd prefer!

So a question: is "wait list only" sometimes code from Princess of "we'll see if we have anything for you...after we've filled all the already open space we're holding that some big agency purchased as a block."

Obviously, I'm frustrated - because of the terms of the reservation contract from my agency, I can't cancel the ressie I have without major expense, so I'm not in a position to simply jump to Travelocity.:mad:

It would appear the unmentionable agency has block-booked a selection of rooms and so, Princess doesn't have them to sell and your agent can't get the desired cabin for you. Waitlisting is the only option if you want a specific cabin and it is not available.

If the agency doesn't sell all of its reserved cabins by the last payment deadline, they will be returned to the Princess inventory and hopefully, you will be placed in the cabin you want.

Good Luck.

Depending on the agency "Block" or group space usually isn't all together. It's X number of cabins in Y category. There are times when that is the case if the group is related like a Family Reunion or Wedding Party.

If you see any cabins in the area you want I would give your TA a call to check it out.

It would appear the unmentionable agency has block-booked a selection of rooms and so, Princess doesn't have them to sell and your agent can't get the desired cabin for you. Waitlisting is the only option if you want a specific cabin and it is not available.

If the agency doesn't sell all of its reserved cabins by the last payment deadline, they will be returned to the Princess inventory and hopefully, you will be placed in the cabin you want.

Good Luck.

Thanks - you've confirmed my theory and added the useful additional detail about the "sell it or lose it" policy on block space.

Frankly, given the last payment date for our sailing is two months out, I'd be very surprised if that block space is still around then (there was only one cabin left in the category we're after).

We probably have a much higher likelihood of getting in through the wait list, due to cancellations of existing ressies. The cruise leaves from NYC, a region where employment trends in particular major industries are -- ahem -- not going in a positive direction.

Which I suspect will affect previously booked vacation travel.

no different from hotel room wholesalers...they have a contacted number of cabins blocked and Princess has to honor the contract until a determined cutoff date

I just wonder whether said date is around or at the final payment date...or possibly earlier.

Guess I'll have to keep checking the Princess website to find out!

Archived