Missing the ship the first day - what to do???

Our friends are booked on the Enchantment of the Seas, and due to a work issue, they may not be able to leave out of Fort Lauderdale. The first stop is Key West. Will Royal Caribbean allow our friends to board the ship on the second day of the cruise in Key West? Obviously not an ideal situation, but certainly better than cancelling and missing the entire thing.

Thanks for any advice!

Our friends are booked on the Enchantment of the Seas, and due to a work issue, they may not be able to leave out of Fort Lauderdale. The first stop is Key West. Will Royal Caribbean allow our friends to board the ship on the second day of the cruise in Key West? Obviously not an ideal situation, but certainly better than cancelling and missing the entire thing.

Thanks for any advice!

NO.

It is a violation of the Passenger Services Act, also known as the Jones Act.

RC will NOT permit them to board the Enchantment in Key West, go on the cruise, and disembark in Fort Lauderdale.

In the case of a short cruise like this, if you miss the boat, you REALLY miss the boat.

Hi Merion...just a question ( and I'm not sure of the answer...) If they board in Key West, and the next stop is in a foreign port, wouldn't they be allowed to debark in FLL? It's been a long day for me, so hopefully you will have the answer...I know thtis has been debated over and over here, and I feel lost right now....TIA :)

Hi Merion...just a question ( and I'm not sure of the answer...) If they board in Key West, and the next stop is in a foreign port, wouldn't they be allowed to debark in FLL? It's been a long day for me, so hopefully you will have the answer...I know thtis has been debated over and over here, and I feel lost right now....TIA :)

Nope, you cannot board in Key West and disembark in FLL without visiting a distant foreign port due to the PVSA. The closest distant foreign ports in the Caribbean are the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao) none of which are on Enchantment's itineraries.

And unfortunately Carol really does know from whence she speaks on this issue.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm sure you would have to pay the $300 fine for violating the PSA, but it wouldn't hurt to call Royal Caribbean and ask. The other option would be to meet the ship at the first foreign port.

Neither one very good for a short cruise.

Mark, the problem in Carol's case as best my poor memory works is that they wouldn't let Carol board in Key West, even if she agreed to pay the fine. The only option would be to fly to the foreign port which pretty much would cost more than the cruise is worth.

jc

I'm sure you would have to pay the $300 fine for violating the PSA, but it wouldn't hurt to call Royal Caribbean and ask. The other option would be to meet the ship at the first foreign port.

Neither one very good for a short cruise.

I am afraid, Mark, that I am truly the Poster Child for "You can't miss the ship in Fort Lauderdale and get on in Key West."

If you REALLY want to read all about it, and have a couple of hours to kill, read on:

Jewel of the Seas - 12/2004 - the cruise we didn't get to take (read here and here)]

I am afraid, Mark, that I am truly the Poster Child for "You can't miss the ship in Fort Lauderdale and get on in Key West."

If you REALLY want to read all about it, and have a couple of hours to kill, read on:

Jewel of the Seas - 12/2004 - the cruise we didn't get to take (read here and here)]

Be that as it may, it still wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Policies change from time to ttime.

Be that as it may, it still wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Policies change from time to ttime.

True. They could have discussed my horrendous experience in a big committee meeting at Royal Caribbean and decided that no one else should ever have to live through such a thing again. They may have decided, "The hell with violating U.S. law. Let 'em board."

You never know.

True. They could have discussed my horrendous experience in a big committee meeting at Royal Caribbean and decided that no one else should ever have to live through such a thing again. They may have decided, "The hell with violating U.S. law. Let 'em board."

You never know.

Carol, if I am ever on the board (I am sure that my wife's 110 shares makes me a shoe in) I will personally revisit that topic.

jc

Carol, if I am ever on the board (I am sure that my wife's 110 shares makes me a shoe in) I will personally revisit that topic.

jc

jc, there are currently three Independence TA sailings that are available for booking.

#1 is November 6, 2008 - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale

#2 is April 12, 2009 - Fort Lauderdale to Southampton

#3 is November 23, 2009 - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale

Why is it that *I* am booked on #1 AND #2, but *you* are booked on #3?!?!?!?!? :( :( :(

Quick question since I am new to cruising. I have heard of cases where due to a hurricane they have had to reroute ships to debark in another port from the one they left from, is that an exception to this "Jones Act" rule? They don't charge the passengers a fee do they since this was due to a hurricane.

Quick question since I am new to cruising. I have heard of cases where due to a hurricane they have had to reroute ships to debark in another port from the one they left from, is that an exception to this "Jones Act" rule? They don't charge the passengers a fee do they since this was due to a hurricane.

I am guessing that there is an exception for "acts of God", or else the cruiseline just bites the bullet and pays the fine.

:)

I am guessing that there is an exception for "acts of God", or else the cruiseline just bites the bullet and pays the fine.

:)

Hope so, mainly asking because our next cruise is in September during hurricane season, so I just want to be prepared. As long as they debark anywhere in Florida I'm good, I live near PC but have relatives near FTL, MIA & Tampa that can give me a ride home. LOL

jc, there are currently three Independence TA sailings that are available for booking.

#1 is November 6, 2008 - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale

#2 is April 12, 2009 - Fort Lauderdale to Southampton

#3 is November 23, 2009 - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale

Why is it that *I* am booked on #1 AND #2, but *you* are booked on #3?!?!?!?!? :( :( :(

Go for the hat trick! You know you want to do it. You know you need to do it. Think of the oppurtunity to actually lay eyes on the dangerous xpcdoojk! :D That alone should make you book it today! Plus you can laugh at me when I bust my bottom, shoulder, head, and back while on the flowrider! You can book the corner aft 1 floor below me or two above me.

jc

I appreciate the answers, everybody. Hopefully all will work out and everyone will be able to be in Fort Lauderdale to leave on time. We will check with RC ahead of time to see if there is anything we can work out and if we get a favorable answer, I'll be sure to post.

I know that I really don't understand this Act (haven't studied it), but if the ship leaves Fort Lauderdale, first stop is Key West, next stop is Cozumel and then back to Fort Lauderdale, why is boarding in Key West a violation of the Act? Hopefully all of you who are experts on this will know.

Carol -- I just read about your Jewel experience -- I'm glad that it finally worked out well for you in the end.

I know that I really don't understand this Act (haven't studied it), but if the ship leaves Fort Lauderdale, first stop is Key West, next stop is Cozumel and then back to Fort Lauderdale, why is boarding in Key West a violation of the Act? Hopefully all of you who are experts on this will know.

Because if they embark in Key West it becomes a cruise between 2 different US cities (Key West to Ft Lauderdale) which has different requirements than a roundtrip cruise under the PVSA. In order to satisfy the PVSA, they would now have to make a stop in a distant foreign port. Cozumel does not qualify as a distant foreign port. The closest distant foreign ports in the Caribbean are Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao OR South America.

It's not just the ship that has to satisfy the PVSA, it's each individual person on the ship. So the ship might be compliant with the PVSA but if you board at a different point you can still violate the PVSA as an individual.

Archived