FORTUNA - dining room review

jct

Hi Everyone,

I haven't had time to write a thorough review of our cruise March 2-9th on the Costa Fortuna. Overall, we loved it. It was maybe not quite as nice as the other cruiseships we've been on through Royal Caribbean, but for the price it was GREAT and we could afford a balcony. I would definitely take another cruise with COSTA again if it means I can afford a balcony!

The only thing I really didn't like about the cruiseship was the locale of the dining room. We were on the 4th floor in the Rafaello dining room. We were so disappointed that the windows looked out on the lifeboats. We weren't able to see any water or sunsets while eating dinner. However, we also didn't want to ask to be switched because we REALLY like our waiters - Vyle and ..oops.. can't remember the other name at the moment. Anyway. They were GREAT!

I was glad that at least on the formal nights they closed the curtains which gave it a more formal feel and blocked the site of the lifeboats!

If we ever go on this cruiseship again, we will definitely ask for seating on a different floor. I know everyone can't be on the best floor, but now that I know that you have a great view from the 3rd deck, I'll certainly ask for seating down there next time.

Hope that information helps someone.

Cynthia

My sons and I walked thru the Rafaello dining room and were surprised to see the 'view' of the lifeboats. We were glad to be in the Michaelangeo dining room!

I think it would be better to keep the curtains closed all the time rather than have to look at a bright orange lifeboat during meals!

We were right beside a window in Mich. dining room. But we had the 2nd seating. One night we saw the moon, and one night we saw the rain on the windows. Otherwise it just reflected US! LOL I bet table 218 is beautiful when the sun is still out!

Actually, we were sitting on deck 4 in Raffaelo restaurant in november. The view of the lifeboats never bothered us. Well, to be honest, I thought the tables upstairs were more comfy then the downstairs ones which seemed to be more hectic and loud, especially in the Raffaelo. The Michelangelo seemed quieter.

Hi Everyone,

However, we also didn't want to ask to be switched because we REALLY like our waiters - Vyle and ..oops.. can't remember the other name at the moment. Anyway. They were GREAT!

Cynthia

Not sure if it was the same waiter. But we had Vyle too. Our table was 411. The waiter was VERY unfriendly. Infact, it was the worse service ever! He did his job but he never greeted us, never smiled, never offered anything, never ........... Don't think I heard his voice. :(

We always leave extra tips but not this time! He didn't deserve them!

Not sure if it was the same waiter. But we had Vyle too. Our table was 411. The waiter was VERY unfriendly. Infact, it was the worse service ever! He did his job but he never greeted us, never smiled, never offered anything, never ........... Don't think I heard his voice. :(

We always leave extra tips but not this time! He didn't deserve them!

Sounds like your waiter was living upto his name "Vile".:(

Ron

It had to have been the same waiter because we were also table 411. He offered WONDERFUL service to us. After the first night he always had chocolate milk and macaroni and cheese waiting for our 4 yo because he fell asleep the first night before dinner even arrived (LOL). He and the assistant waiter were just great and we actually left them an extra tip.

He always greeted us with a smile, asked about our day, gave us informatino about the show that night, etc. In fact, we left positive comments about 3 staff members on the survey that you're asked to fill out and he was one of the 3 that we felt went above and beyond to make our cruise great.

Arrielle, this does not look good. Either it was the same waiter or he has an evil twin. It seems that the waiter was mean to only your gang and my gang.:eek: The fact is that we were on our best behaviour. Granted we were late one might by 10 minuts and let me tell you that before he took our order I think it was Wensday night he came over and told us to be at the table at 8:30pm because he had other tables to wait on and that he did not like tha fact that we showed up late. Funny thing though is that the reservation confirmation slip found in our cabin the first day to the table and dinning room said 8:45pm and not 8:30. When we mentioned this he said he still wanted us there at 8:30pm. To iron things out the next night we showed up at 8:25 just so we could show him we were trying, the other waiter from the other table told us to exit the dinning room because we were too early.....go figure, next time I will specify the back dinning room and specify 8:45pm sitting. It did not ruin our enjoyment of the entire cruise.

We just went by the time in the today program, sometimes it was 8:30 and sometimes 8:45. Weird that he had a split personality like that. Maybe he used up his good mood during the first dinner, lol.

Arrielle, this does not look good. Either it was the same waiter or he has an evil twin. It seems that the waiter was mean to only your gang and my gang.:eek: The fact is that we were on our best behaviour. Granted we were late one might by 10 minuts and let me tell you that before he took our order I think it was Wensday night he came over and told us to be at the table at 8:30pm because he had other tables to wait on and that he did not like tha fact that we showed up late. Funny thing though is that the reservation confirmation slip found in our cabin the first day to the table and dinning room said 8:45pm and not 8:30. When we mentioned this he said he still wanted us there at 8:30pm. To iron things out the next night we showed up at 8:25 just so we could show him we were trying, the other waiter from the other table told us to exit the dinning room because we were too early.....go figure, next time I will specify the back dinning room and specify 8:45pm sitting. It did not ruin our enjoyment of the entire cruise.

I would recommend next time having a quiet word with the Maitre'D and tell him about the attitude of the waiter (without ranting and raving), I have always found it to work.

Feedback is always very important so that the level of serivce can be maintained / improved. If a waiter has gone above and beyond tze call of duty, besides giving him the small brown paper bag (not my empty booze one) I will also congratulate the Maitre'D on having such excellent staff.

Ron

Maybe our waiter was bipolar? Or maybe he didn't like the fact that our boys (17 & 19) didn't pay attention to him? Ooops, did I say it?

We liked the Maitre'D Frantz (not sure if it's correct spelling). He always stopped by our table to chat. On the last night, I could keep it any longer but didn't want to complain - I do understand that all wait staff is there to make money that they came from some poor country(ies), etc. But I mentioned to Frantz that it would be nice to have a friendlier service and for your waiter to smile and greet you. After all, we do pay his salary!!! I got an impression that Frantz heard it before!

Which week were you there? We were there the 2nd through the 9th. Perhaps we were after you and the Matri' D had a word with him before our cruise? I don't know, but I do know that we were so well cared for during dinner with 2 little ones that we took the time to even write specific comments on the survey at the end of the cruise.

Funny you mentioned the boys not paying attention to him (LOL). I was wondering. We also have 1 high school daughter and 1 dd who graduated last year and the attention/service was great for the older two as well as the younger two.

I can't remember the assistant waiter's name, but he was also great!

Archived