alaska in august - shore excursions

ispooks

hi

was browsing the shore excursions for alaska - thinking about an august 09 cruise - are many of the excursions not offered because the weather may be too warm? will have 2 boys with us, so looking at family friendly excursions ( will be 16 & 11 then...):confused:

thanks in advance!

hi

was browsing the shore excursions for alaska - thinking about an august 09 cruise - are many of the excursions not offered because the weather may be too warm? will have 2 boys with us, so looking at family friendly excursions ( will be 16 & 11 then...):confused:

thanks in advance!

The same excursions are offered all season long with a few exceptions.

FYI, the average temperature in August is:

Juneau 63.1 high, 48.3 low, 5.37" rain

Skagway 65 high, 47 low, 2.6" rain

Ketchikan 65 high, 51 low, 9.9" rain

So, I wouldn't worry about it being "too warm"!:)

Depending on where you are traveling from, you might consider the 50's and 60's warm, but I'm from Southern California and I didn't find it warm at all. I wore thermal long underwear, sweats and a winter coat almost every single day.

I was on a cruisetour, so spent more time on land than on the ship, but it was still not warm by my standards. Only one day out of 12 did I take my coat off and carry it around. It rained a few times, so was glad to have the umbrella too.

Even with the few days of rain, I'd go again in August because of the lack of bugs. We saw only two mosquitoes in the whole 12 days. Even in the woods of Denali, we were never bothered by bugs.

i was just checking - no, i don't consider the 50's and 60's warm - maybe 65 in the sun works as a start - lol...

just checking that maybe the dog sleds or the tour where u get pics with the dogs may not be going on... thought it might be warm via their standards...

thanks!:)

you are right. certain excursions are not available all tour season. like bear watching tours are available until later in the season. dog sledding (on the glacier) ends when the ice gets soft. the ones in skagway aren't on ice and do run the whole season (from what i have heard).

maybe someone else will see this and be able to tell you when the glacier bog sledding usually ends?

We are going on the Golden Princess at the end of August with our 2 boys (11 & 14). We cooked a Level 2 Glacier Trek through North Star in Juneau. We also booked the Misty Fjords flight seeing through Island Wings and the train is Skagway through Chilkoot Charters. I wanted to keep the boys happy so we would all be happy. The train ride is under 2 hours and then we go to a summer dog sled camp and some other scenic places. They might not dig the scenery so much but if we break it up with puppies and lunch etc, they should be fine.

Well i am from FL a but grww up in Bopston. I found most days very warm in the sun. i was happy with the weather.. went swimming and hot tubing. Also it wore jeans and a fleese top at the most but for 2 days-pouring that day.

The boys will lvoe dog sleding in Juneau. They might like whale watching or will that be too confining...

look at a salmon bake etc.

60 is very warm for july/august. on deck at night for sail aways will be very windy-will need warmer outer wear

We are cruising in August with our 2 DD, 13 and 11, and they "helped" pick out the following excursions.

Sitka Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest

Juneau Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching

Ketchikan Adventure Kart Expedition

Victoria Butchart Gardens

Hope this helps.

Archived