Barcelona--Montserrat & La Sagrada Familia same day?

skiiergirl

Hi skiiergirl-We did both,but not in one day,but it certainly is possible although you may be tuckered out!! Montserrat is about an hr. away from Barcelona,so if you plan to go early in the morning(it gets busy around noon),you could jump on the HOHO bus in the afternoon which takes you right by the church.

We loved Barcelona-really unique city! Have fun! Shelly

Check my blog below. We too did both, but different days. We did Montserrat on a ship's tour as we departed, and the bus dropped us off at our hotel when we were done. We easily could have then gone to La Sagrada and made a full day of it.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible, doable, and would be enjoyable (try to avoid going on a Sunday thoug...VERY busy!!!)

Steve

Yes, you could do them both in one long day.

If you elect to do that, I recommend that you head to Montserrat first, early in the morning, say 9am or 9:30 if you want to see the boy's choir perform at noon. Upon return to Barcelona, either use a HO-HO bus, or since you will already be on the train system, use the subway to get over to the cathedral--may save you some time and it is not expensive.

They are both worth seeing!

Thanks everyone!

Our flight is scheduled to arrive in BCN mid-day and we figure we will be exhausted and just want to hang out at the hotel and rest that day. Then we have the whole day the next day for touring, etc. so we plan on seeing the "must dos" that day. Then the next day we board the ship and while it doesn't leave until the evening, we usually just go get on the ship mid-day and don't get back off there. If we don't get to see all the "must dos" though in just the one day, we may have to give up our afternoon of rest or not get on the ship as early as we would normally.

Thanks so much!

i wouldn't recommend it if you want to really enjoy yourself. there's so much time involved in getting to/from montserrat and it's so wonderful - i'd hate to have been rushing to get back before sagrada familia closed. i'd also hate to be rushed through sagrada familia. if, however, this is your only option to see them both, do it. personally, i'd check out sagrada familia on the day of arrival. and don't forget about the fountains at the base of mont juic (go in the evening)!

Skiiergirl-just a thought. Depending on where your hotel is,you could jump on the HOHO bus either the afternoon or evening of your arrival,and visit the church then-that way,as the previous poster noted, you wouldn't have so much to do the following day.

If your hotel is located anywhere near Place de Catalunya or Las Ramblas,you could grab the bus there and be at the cathedral in no time. Those are just two locations that are familiar to me-I'm sure others could help you out with different locations.

Any way you do it,it's going to be an awesome experience!! Enjoy! Shelly:)

Skiiergirl-just a thought. Depending on where your hotel is,you could jump on the HOHO bus either the afternoon or evening of your arrival,and visit the church then-that way,as the previous poster noted, you wouldn't have so much to do the following day.

If your hotel is located anywhere near Place de Catalunya or Las Ramblas,you could grab the bus there and be at the cathedral in no time. Those are just two locations that are familiar to me-I'm sure others could help you out with different locations.

Any way you do it,it's going to be an awesome experience!! Enjoy! Shelly:)

Thanks for the input. Our hotel is on the outskirts (I think) of town. Using hotel points. I really think we will be too tired to do anything but hang out at the hotel and rest. (Or at least nearby the hotel.) We may be pleasantly surprised and get to sleep/rest on the plane and feeling like "touring" when we arrive.....but I seriously doubt it.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Thanks for the input. Our hotel is on the outskirts (I think) of town. Using hotel points. I really think we will be too tired to do anything but hang out at the hotel and rest. (Or at least nearby the hotel.) We may be pleasantly surprised and get to sleep/rest on the plane and feeling like "touring" when we arrive.....but I seriously doubt it.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Skiergirl, We have basically the same situation. We will arrive in Barcelona Friday, at 11:05 and will be there all day Saturday, can board our ship mid-day Sunday. I have been really trying to make a planned way to see all we want to also. I have a already bought a voucher to go to Monteserrat and they advise early am too. We will be back at about 2pm. From there I have a toss up as to what we should do, go on to Sagrada

Familia or prehaps not. I am leaning toward going on to Sagrada once back. I feel sure that we will have plenty of time there. As we have a reservation that evening for the 8pm dinner and Flamenco at the Tableo de Carmen. I know it will be a very busy and full day, but we can rest on the ship Sunday!

I don't know if you have ever flown overseas before, but to adjust and recover from the time change, I highly recommend that you do stay a bit busy on Friday, and try not to go to sleep too early in the afternoon. Otherwise you will be awake at 2am their time, I mean wide awake. Best to keep moving, have an early dinner and go ahead to sleep at a reasonable evening time (Barcelona time.) You still might wake up early Saturday but it would not be quite as early. I recommend reading Rick Steves site on the travel time/adjustment suggestions. He is right on, believe me I had to chaperone a group of teens in London and we had to keep them moving that first day of arrival, it was hard they were grumpy and wanted to sit down and nap. We went to the wax museum and worse thing next was a theater with IMAX movie of the Stars. My husband was snoring, and most of the kids kept falling asleep. Somehow I managed to stay awake. But, we were all in bed by 9pm London time and then awake at 5am! I never wake up that early.

Long story short we plan to drop off our luggage, and go on a walking tour of Ramblas, have some tapas then off to an early dinner. Back to the hotel and sleep by 9pm. I am also planning to sleep on the flight, already bought the sound canceling headphones and an eyemask. Nice glass of wine and nighty night on that flight.

Hope it all works out for us and I hope you get to see and enjoy all of the sites too!

Cindy

Skiergirl, We have basically the same situation. We will arrive in Barcelona Friday, at 11:05 and will be there all day Saturday, can board our ship mid-day Sunday. I have been really trying to make a planned way to see all we want to also. I have a already bought a voucher to go to Monteserrat and they advise early am too. We will be back at about 2pm. From there I have a toss up as to what we should do, go on to Sagrada

Familia or prehaps not. I am leaning toward going on to Sagrada once back. I feel sure that we will have plenty of time there. As we have a reservation that evening for the 8pm dinner and Flamenco at the Tableo de Carmen. I know it will be a very busy and full day, but we can rest on the ship Sunday!

I don't know if you have ever flown overseas before, but to adjust and recover from the time change, I highly recommend that you do stay a bit busy on Friday, and try not to go to sleep too early in the afternoon. Otherwise you will be awake at 2am their time, I mean wide awake. Best to keep moving, have an early dinner and go ahead to sleep at a reasonable evening time (Barcelona time.) You still might wake up early Saturday but it would not be quite as early. I recommend reading Rick Steves site on the travel time/adjustment suggestions. He is right on, believe me I had to chaperone a group of teens in London and we had to keep them moving that first day of arrival, it was hard they were grumpy and wanted to sit down and nap. We went to the wax museum and worse thing next was a theater with IMAX movie of the Stars. My husband was snoring, and most of the kids kept falling asleep. Somehow I managed to stay awake. But, we were all in bed by 9pm London time and then awake at 5am! I never wake up that early.

Long story short we plan to drop off our luggage, and go on a walking tour of Ramblas, have some tapas then off to an early dinner. Back to the hotel and sleep by 9pm. I am also planning to sleep on the flight, already bought the sound canceling headphones and an eyemask. Nice glass of wine and nighty night on that flight.

Hope it all works out for us and I hope you get to see and enjoy all of the sites too!

Cindy

Thanks so much for all the info!

Archived