Carnival-no thanks

ktravis

I'm headed down that way in next week to sail out of Galveston on Carnival and can't wait! Our daughter lives in Sugar Land so this makes it perfect. We can take our annual cruise and visit them - all on one flight!

Why Carnival, no thanks? Have you sailed with them before?

I'm headed down that way in next week to sail out of Galveston on Carnival and can't wait! Our daughter lives in Sugar Land so this makes it perfect. We can take our annual cruise and visit them - all on one flight!

My sister and her family live in Sugarland and Mom is s'posed to move down there this year. We'll drive, tho, and drop off the doggie for family dog sitting, but sure will be nice to do the visit and cruise in one trip.

Yes, I have sailed with them and will not do it again. I have sailed RC and Princess as well and would sail either of them again.

What cruise line will you sail on & why? I have been on 6 Princess cruises & agree that some ships are better than others, I can't imagine saying never again.

Jan

Yes, I have sailed with them and will not do it again. I have sailed RC and Princess as well and would sail either of them again.

That being the case, get on a plane and sail whatever line, from whatever port you wish, but quit your bellyaching!

Market demand dictates what they do.

I think that it is the ship that dictates the quality of the cruise, not necessarily the line. I've had good luck with most lines and since you typically get an older, smaller ship out of Galveston, I think if any other line would move into the Galveston market it probably wouldn't be any different.

I've personally have had good luck with Carnival and some people get a little carried away by reputation more so than anything. I'm going on Princess soon and my eife and I again selected the ship and itinerary, not necessarily the line.

As to the smaller, older ships, I still enjoy them but they were not necessarily designed to what people perceive and want to day. Conversely, a lot of people do enjoy the older, smaller ones and that is certainly their perogative. I'm going to have fun regardless.

Friends don't let friends sail Carnival.

I think that is a little harsh!!!

A cruise is what you make of it - there is always going to be something you don't like, something that you think could have been done better - but you get that anywhere.

I've sailed Carnival before and loved it just as much as any other cruise and I'm sailing Carnival again, on the Liberty, in 17 days. I would not only let my friend sail Carnival, I'm taking my first time cruiser sister on the Liberty with me and I KNOW she will love it.

I understand both sides of the "Carnival" statements. I have sailed Carnival and three other lines. I "enjoyed" my Carnival cruise least, because of the party hearty 24/7 environment. But heh....it was a cruise out of New Orleans to the Caribbean in the Spring, it was a free, company trip, so I went. You are always going to have a lot of the college kids on these cruises......whether it is out of N.O. or Galveston. Carnival seems to really cater to this age with their pool side contests and other themes throughout the cruise, as well as their prices. I also must say, I enjoyed a lot about the Carnival Sensation. It is all in knowing what your expectations are. When I am spending my money on a cruise it is all about nature and wildlife and the awesome Northwest ........Alaska......so if you don't want the party crowd.....stay away from the Southern cruises. Cruising is for everyone.....just choose your itenerary and your line and your ship wisely. Know what you are paying for and please don't complain about those who do cruise for the "more relaxed" environment. Each to his own. gg

I understand both sides of the "Carnival" statements. I have sailed Carnival and three other lines. I "enjoyed" my Carnival cruise least, because of the party hearty 24/7 environment. But heh....it was a cruise out of New Orleans to the Caribbean in the Spring, it was a free, company trip, so I went. You are always going to have a lot of the college kids on these cruises......whether it is out of N.O. or Galveston. Carnival seems to really cater to this age with their pool side contests and other themes throughout the cruise, as well as their prices. I also must say, I enjoyed a lot about the Carnival Sensation. It is all in knowing what your expectations are. When I am spending my money on a cruise it is all about nature and wildlife and the awesome Northwest ........Alaska......so if you don't want the party crowd.....stay away from the Southern cruises. Cruising is for everyone.....just choose your itenerary and your line and your ship wisely. Know what you are paying for and please don't complain about those who do cruise for the "more relaxed" environment. Each to his own. gg

I totally disagree with you that Carnival is a 24/7 party hardy cruiseline. I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and never once did I see anyone partying till they drop. Also, the average age on one of my cruises was between 40-70 with many even older than that. Maybe you had that on your "one" cruise with them, but the majority of cruises are not like that, because if they were, my husband and I wouldn't have sailed with them. We are not the party hardy types. We are both in our late 40s and are not into all that drinking.

It's unfortunate that some people are very ignorant and refuse to let go of that old Carnival reputation.:rolleyes:

I think that is a little harsh!!!

A cruise is what you make of it - there is always going to be something you don't like, something that you think could have been done better - but you get that anywhere.

I've sailed Carnival before and loved it just as much as any other cruise and I'm sailing Carnival again, on the Liberty, in 17 days. I would not only let my friend sail Carnival, I'm taking my first time cruiser sister on the Liberty with me and I KNOW she will love it.

I agree with you about the OP being harsh. She is down on a whole line because she disliked one ship.

Pesonally I feel Carnival gives you good value for the money. No, they are NOT my favorite line-but with the dollar shrinking I will not say I will never cruise them again.

I may prefer all the nice little touches Celebrity gives me, but I find Celebrity's price is a little steep. Still though, if I can afford it I will still go with a better line. But if I can't I will gladly cruise Carnival. I will just find a cruise on the class of ship I like best (spirit) and cruise that class.

I've sailed Carnival AND RC because when I started cruising, they were the lines that were sailing out of Galveston, where I drive to when I cruise. I LOVE Carnival! I've seen people partying, but not drunk, laying in the floor, drink til you drop kind of partying, but people having a good time. Nothing wrong with THAT! If i don't wanna hang around those people, i choose another part of the ship. No big deal.

I wish Galveston had more cruiselines, because I would probably try the new lines. The"friends don't let friends cruise Carnival" statement was way over the top! But then again, I'm not the kind of person to judge a whole cruiseline based on one or two ships, etc. I'm taking my 4 yo grandson on his first cruise in a month on Carnival Ecstasy, and I couldn't BE more excited!! If we are out by the pool and people get rowdy, etc. we will just go someplace else. Who am I to judge how much "fun" people should/can have on their cruise? I prefer to look for the positive on my cruises. Some only look for the negatives, which personally, I think is a crummy and sad way to be!:eek:

Why can we not get any ships on a full time basis except Carnival, from Galveston?

Other lines did sail out of Galveston and left. Why? You will have to ask them but a cruise line is going to place their ships in ports where they can make the most money. Right now Europe is hot and that is where RCI and others have decided to place a good number of ships.

Carnival works on a different business model as they leave the majority of their ships here in the US while others move them around the world. Once Europe cools down and the dollar becomes stronger you may see more ships move back here. Time will tell.

I too no longer have a desire to cruise with Carnival after I found what else is out there but since that's the case then I will get on a plane and fly to the port of my choice to catch a ship.

I totally disagree with you that Carnival is a 24/7 party hardy cruiseline. I've been on 2 Carnival cruises and never once did I see anyone partying till they drop. Also, the average age on one of my cruises was between 40-70 with many even older than that. Maybe you had that on your "one" cruise with them, but the majority of cruises are not like that, because if they were, my husband and I wouldn't have sailed with them. We are not the party hardy types. We are both in our late 40s and are not into all that drinking.

It's unfortunate that some people are very ignorant and refuse to let go of that old Carnival reputation.:rolleyes:

You missed my point entirely. And I hardly think that your 2 trips w/CCL has made you any more of an authority than me. Carnival has the reputation and evidently enjoys the reputation of being a more casual, younger crowd, less expensive, fun in the sun, party cruise line because that is where they make a lot of money. Look at their ads, their commercials, their brochures. I did not say I saw people "partying til they dropped." Please just don't pick and choose what you want out of my statement and ignore the rest. Just because I have only been on 1 Carnival cruise, does not mean that I am "very ignorant". I live in Texas, have many friends who cruise often on Carnival and everyone says the same thing, including my travel agents. Even those who just love this line and have taken over 20 cruises out of Galveston, say it is a more relaxed party ship. Does that mean everywhere you go on the ship....it is party hearty (hardy) 24/7.......no.....but somewhere on the ship it is. So, my statement was that this line meets a huge need, thousands love it, and as I said "I enjoyed a lot about the Carnival Sensation." The OP wanted to know why does Carnival have the market in Galveston ?? Because, it meets the needs of so many, at a price they can afford, and goes to places......lets be honest......that cater more to the party environment such as the beach cities. Are there many on the ships out of Galveston who do not party or even drink......of course.....but if you are being totally honest here, Sandi, Carnival ships out of New Orleans or Galveston.....are the hot place to be for the younger crowd who want to party. Heh, if we get another free trip.....I will go again. gg

You missed my point entirely. And I hardly think that your 2 trips w/CCL has made you any more of an authority than me. Carnival has the reputation and evidently enjoys the reputation of being a more casual, younger crowd, less expensive, fun in the sun, party cruise line because that is where they make a lot of money. Look at their ads, their commercials, their brochures. I did not say I saw people "partying til they dropped." Please just don't pick and choose what you want out of my statement and ignore the rest. Just because I have only been on 1 Carnival cruise, does not mean that I am "very ignorant". I live in Texas, have many friends who cruise often on Carnival and everyone says the same thing, including my travel agents. Even those who just love this line and have taken over 20 cruises out of Galveston, say it is a more relaxed party ship. Does that mean everywhere you go on the ship....it is party hearty (hardy) 24/7.......no.....but somewhere on the ship it is. So, my statement was that this line meets a huge need, thousands love it, and as I said "I enjoyed a lot about the Carnival Sensation." The OP wanted to know why does Carnival have the market in Galveston ?? Because, it meets the needs of so many, at a price they can afford, and goes to places......lets be honest......that cater more to the party environment such as the beach cities. Are there many on the ships out of Galveston who do not party or even drink......of course.....but if you are being totally honest here, Sandi, Carnival ships out of New Orleans or Galveston.....are the hot place to be for the younger crowd who want to party. Heh, if we get another free trip.....I will go again. gg

I'm not saying you didn't see it on your cruise.....but Carnival caters to families too. They have a very wonderful kids program from what I understand. I sailed out of NYC, so maybe that had something to do with an older crowd. Maybe Texas has a younger, more relaxed crowd, I don't know. Also, the longer cruises draw an older crowd. Carnival also has ships that go to Alaska and Europe and I doubt that many young college kids can afford those cruises..

This is from the Carnival website.

30 percent of its passengers are under 35, 40 percent are between 35 and 55, and 30 percent are over 55. So you see they are not only for the young crowd. 40% are in the 35 to 55 age bracket.

And I am looking at their brochure right now. Let's see....on it I see a picture of a senior couple, a couple with a little girl, and a few pics of other couples. Plus a couple of maybe 10 year old kids.

Carnival is for ALL ages....not only the party hardy. I don't care what your TA says.

Other lines did sail out of Galveston and left. Why? You will have to ask them but a cruise line is going to place their ships in ports where they can make the most money. Right now Europe is hot and that is where RCI and others have decided to place a good number of ships.

Carnival works on a different business model as they leave the majority of their ships here in the US while others move them around the world. Once Europe cools down and the dollar becomes stronger you may see more ships move back here. Time will tell.

I too no longer have a desire to cruise with Carnival after I found what else is out there but since that's the case then I will get on a plane and fly to the port of my choice to catch a ship.

Gordon I agree it is all revenue driven. ALL cruiselines get a cut on the airfare and the overnight hotel packages. Texas is short on both of these because most Texans drive to the port. If you are leaving $100 per airline ticket per passenger on the table for 2,000 passengers out of 3,000 that is $200,000 per week or 10.4 million a year, just for one ship. Of course no ship is going to be 2/3rds full with RC air customers........so cut that in half......they are still short 5 million a year. Now, I'm just pulling numbers out for examples......I don't know how many on the Voyager actually fly to Houston........and we have even discussed what they are losing on hotel packages through the cruiseline.

On our April 6th cruise, not one Texan I know of on our roll call is flying to Houston (nor would I) and all of them have made their own hotel reservations.

Gordon is right........that ship will make more money someplace else and Europe is the hot spot........as a public company, it is all about revenue and net profit.........which of course is the way it should be for a publically traded company.

Carnival will never live down their reputation as a party till you puke cruise line. As you mentioned, at one time they were very proud of that honor. Now that more families are cruising, they have worked hard to change that and in some cases it has worked but again they will always be known as the party line. Like it or not it's here to stay.

I cruised with Carnival for many years on many of their ships(16 to be exact) and it is usually the ones that never try the other lines that have no idea of what else is out there. For me, Carnival rates at the very bottom of the list. Yes they do offer a good value but IMHO there are much better options out there. Carnival recently announced that they are now going to start showing paid advertisements on their large screen TV's that are placed poolside. To me that is just cheap and another way for them to make a buck. Who wants to sit at a pool and listen to ads from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM? I call that desperation on the cruise lines part to make money. That's the reason that I no longer cruise with them. Their product just continued to become cheap.

According to the Cruise lines, the Western Caribbean is becoming a "soft market" meaning a lot of cruisers have been there more then once and want something different. We are down from having Princess, Celebrity, RCCI (2 ships), Carnival (2 ships), to Carnivals Ecstasy and Conquest and in the fall winter season, RCCI's Voyager.

Carnival & RCCL seem to think that three ships are adequate for this market, and the demand is elsewhere. The Port of Galveston is optimistic that as more ships come into the fleets, there will be more ships & itineraries for cruising out of Galveston.

Additionally, the Port of Houston is completing a multi million dollar cruise terminal at their Bayport facility with no commitment as yet from any cruise line to use it. NCL was cruising out of that location put has pulled out of this area as well.

We had our first Carnival Cruise this past Jan., the price was right and it was a good 8 day with CC friends down the Mex. Riviera. One interesting note was the average age on this cruise would rival Holland America for older people.

The cabin, food and service was good, but for us Princess or HAL has a better product.

One final note on Galveston where I drive by the terminals every day to work; there is nothing like cruising from where you live!!

The funniest thing about most anti-Carnival people (not necessarily the OP, but speaking in general) is that a lot of anti-Carnival people are very much supporters of RCI, and both lines are almost inter-changeable to me. I actually have some co-workers who cruise with RCI and constantly knock Carnival and I just think to myself "You're taking a similar cruise, just paying more money...") But if you're gonna be a cruiseline snob, at least take a clearly more extravagent line like Cunard, HAL or Seaborn, etc....But for RCI fans to criticize Carnival is like someone in a double-wide making fun of someone in a single-wide trailer- If you're that cultured and looking for that much more in a cruise than Carnival offers than you wouldn't be "settling for RCI"....

Now having said that, I have no problem with either line and would take cruises on either line. It's just the "snobs" that I have a problem with (and again I'm not saying that the OP is one...)

I like both Carnival and RCI. Not a whole lot of difference IMO. My problem (if it's even considered a problem...) is that we can drive to Galveston, so we are stuck with whatever ship is there with the same or alternating itinerary every year. Part of the cruising excitement for me is exploring a new ship and new ports. Although, it is nice to already know your way around a ship. :) Soon, though, we'll most likely start shelling out airfare to Florida, California, or Puerto Rico (did once...awesome!) just to have something different to do and see.

Archived