Board ship then leave

rudecuple

Are you able to board the ship and then leave and return a rent a car? Do you have to go through the whole boarding process again, or just show your card?

We boarded, left to have lunch off the ship with friends, and simply walked back on like any other port call. When we returned around 3pm the terminal was almost empty....no lines anymore.

My husband dropped us off at the terminal when it opened at 10 a.m., then he returned the rental car and was back at the terminal before boarding started. I just had to keep his passport to check him in, and he only had to show his driver's license to enter the terminal. I was able to get the kids registered for the kids club while he was dropping off the rental car. We also had fun taking pictures with characters.

We were all at the pool around 12:30, had lunch there and our room was ready about an hour later. I figured since we were paying for it, we should take advantage of the ship's pool and food ASAP, plus there weren't too many long lines then.

I'm not sure where you would leave your rental car while you are boarding the ship - I don't recall a "short-term" parking lot last December. I did like the previous poster and dropped the other 3 in my party off (including all the luggage!) and went to return the car. Just make sure the driver drops you off before waiting in the confusion at the RCCL terminal.

We did the same thing where dh dropped off me and the kids and all of our luggage with the porter and he went to return the rental car. It worked out just fine. I was able to check us all in, and he arrived shortly afterwards and then we were called to board the ship. We plan this same process for our next cruise.

I'm not sure where you would leave your rental car while you are boarding the ship - I don't recall a "short-term" parking lot last December. I did like the previous poster and dropped the other 3 in my party off (including all the luggage!) and went to return the car. Just make sure the driver drops you off before waiting in the confusion at the RCCL terminal.

According to the PC web site...

Daytime Free Parking

Limited free parking is available in “Daytime Only” parking lots at each cruise terminal for those having business at the terminal or aboard the ship during the hours the ship is docked at the terminal. No overnight parking is permitted in these areas without the express permission of the Canaveral Port Authority.

http://www.portcanaveral.org/cruising/parking.php

So I would say if you just told the gate guard that you were only needing to park long enough to do the boarding paperwork and then return the rental car, they would be ok with that. I would call ahead first to make sure.

Canaveral Port Authority

P.O. Box 267

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

Phone: (321) 783.7831

Fax: (321) 783.4651

Archived