Passport And Teen Question?

Princessbride3

I am thinking about taking my dd on our cruise. I need to get her a passport ( i think) but i read somewhere that the absent parent needs to sign letting them know you are taking them out of the country. A little difficult since my husband passed away.. am i going to have to bring his death cert along? Anyone know this?

You need to be able to prove you are the sole legal custodian of the minor child. The easiest way to do this may be to simply bring the death certificate or you may have some other type of legal document that would do the same.

I'm sorry to hear that.

We just took my two kids on a cruise, and I had to have my ex-husband sign and have notarized the form. If I remember correctly, there is a place for you to sign stating he is deceased, and then you would have that notarized. Also, if I remember correctly, 14 and over didn't require the form, but I could be wrong about that. Hope this helps.

If it is a Caribbean cruise and you are leaving from one US port and returing to the same US port, you do not need them, not now or after june 1, 2009.

She is talking about the passport issue. You will still need documentation that your spouse has passed away so you can take your dd out of the country. That fact won't change. As long as your daughter is a minor (under 18) you will need to travel w/ this documentation.

She is talking about the passport issue. You will still need documentation that your spouse has passed away so you can take your dd out of the country. That fact won't change. As long as your daughter is a minor (under 18) you will need to travel w/ this documentation.

Yes, correct, I am talking about the passport. Sorry, I used the "it" word and it may not mean passport. :rolleyes:

I am thinking about taking my dd on our cruise. I need to get her a passport ( i think) but i read somewhere that the absent parent needs to sign letting them know you are taking them out of the country. A little difficult since my husband passed away.. am i going to have to bring his death cert along? Anyone know this?

I take my 3 kids in the summer on a cruise without my wife fror the last 3 years. I got them passports, and I have never been asked for anything other than passports when I travel with them alone. Im sorry for your loss

Actually, if the child is 15 or older you only need one parent to be present. I just got a passport for my 16 yo and did not have to have his father present nor did he have to sign. So, print out the paperwork from the website, fill it out and take it to the post office with the B-certificate. the whole process took 10 minutes at most. If you child is under 15 then take the death certificate with you to the post office. Enjoy your cruise

Archived