Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Ball

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Applebees or Ruby Tuesdays

Now that's funny!!!!!!!!!

117691.jpg

The Mount Rushmore of Cool :)

I guess it depends on where you live and what is available .

Here in New England where we can get beautiful fresh fish and seafood , I would never order seafood from an Applebees or Ruby's .

Maybe in some areas , its the only game in town.

The Mount Rushmore of Cool :)

I guess it depends on where you live and what is available .

Here in New England where we can get beautiful fresh fish and seafood , I would never order seafood from an Applebees or Ruby's .

Maybe in some areas , its the only game in town.

I'll take Legal Seafood for fish/seafood any day of the week! ;)

The Applebee's not far from us closed...it was so bad that toward the end, we'd only notice two or three cars in the parking lot most evenings. Ruby Tuesday...there's one at an outlet mall here. It's OK...not great. But, it seems to do fairly well because it's the only restaurant there.

The Applebee's not far from us closed...it was so bad that toward the end, we'd only notice two or three cars in the parking lot most evenings. Ruby Tuesday...there's one at an outlet mall here. It's OK...not great. But, it seems to do fairly well because it's the only restaurant there.

I have been to Legal Seafood , they are very good :)

We do Applebees/Rubys/TGIF when we want a burger or salad before or after a movie on a Fri/Sat night. Or when we are out running errands all day and just grab dinner out instead of coming home and cooking.

Its Ok and certainly better than McDs or BK, but that still isn't saying much *LOL*

I ALWAYS have the Oriental Chicken Salad which is fantastic

Heather I always have the Oriental Chicken Salad too, it's very tasty. But everything else on the menu is either honey-glazed (sugar) or off the charts in sodium. I'm no health nut (believe me!) but I can do without that much sugar and sodium at dinner :eek: Even the Oriental salad, which I love, is deep-fried chicken and the sauce (which makes it SO good) is sweet.

As a diabetic there aren't any really appropriate choices I can find on the Applebees menu. We do stop there though for quick take-out on a busy day because it's convenient. :p

Absolutely! Every visit to Boston eventually takes me down to their restaurant by the harbor. Excellent!

If HAL is less expensive it is just certain last minute cruises that have not sold well, so the prices are dropped
Nope. We booked our February 2008 cruise in July 2007. It was not a last minute cruise deal.

Now you are just being silly
No, I'm not. I'm being realistic and, with respect, I believe you're not being realistic. It almost seems to me that you have this image of what people should want out of cruising, but that only reflects a belief that more people are like you than are like the kind of person who the cruise line is clearly aiming for.

I don't understand you Bicker. You are very inteilligent-I can tell from many of your posts- so why make yourself look so foolish in other posts?
This almost smacks of a desperate personal attack on your part. I simply disagree with you. My perspective is not only valid, but what is actually happening supports my perspective, not yours. I'm not happy about that -- I really don't care that much either way. What I do care about is that if you don't agree with what I'm saying, produce proof to the contrary instead of just complaining about me having said it.

Legal Sea Foods isn't really a national chain. I doubt the average person who live in Tennessee, for example, would know what Legal Sea Foods is.

Regardless, I think you're falling into the trap people uncomfortable with the actual point I'm making are setting up, by focusing on the actual names of restaurants instead of on the concept that the cruise line dining room does not necessarily need to be a fine dining establishment. The point that folks seem to be so offended by is that it may make sense to reduce standard dining room service even further, to something more cost effective, if many cruise passengers would rather save money, and spend it on things that thrill them more than eating, such as recreation, touring, and shopping. Folks who want that elegant dining room experience clearly want everyone to subsidize their preference, and as long as they are a majority of cruise passenger that makes sense, but as soon as they're not, then it makes sense to make those folks pay more for their preference.

Where have you been?cruising is all about the food.

I've heard people asking staff prior to boarding

'Will There be Food On The Ship when we board"

People run up to the dining room to eat tasteess bland ice ream on the Pincess between 3-4 in the afternoon becaude it's 'Free"

There are people that won't book cruises because they have to pay for ice cream.

People can't even wait to gorge on the Chocolate buffet items (like they haven't eaten for a week)

shopping? excursions??????? Are you kidding me? It's about the food and will always be about the food. The food goes away,people will stop cruising.

This thread has certainly gone a long way from 'shorts in the dining room'!!!! LOL:D

Applebee's must be a very regional thing. It's so wonderful here that they have them mere miles apart and they are always mobbed. And this is a locale where you have at least 4 restaurants to choose from on almost every corner. But I'm not a fair critic since I've only had the oriental salad or wrap. Both are delicious, though I don't pretend it's healthy!!!;)

But, like Mariner, HAL has lost me. Our last cruise was okay, the service outstanding, but it wasn't what it once was so it's not good enough.

I guess the only reason I visit this board (though infrequently) is the long, long history I have of fantastic and enjoyable cruises. It's hard to let go. But we have. And when we cruise again, unless there are some changes made which I seriously doubt, a more upscale line will gain our business.

So HAL can build their megaships, overlook t-shirts in the DR, cut back as much as they want to bring prices down and accommodate a different demogaphic, but we won't be on their ships.

And I know HAL could care less and that's okay.

Legal Sea Foods isn't really a national chain. I doubt the average person who live in Tennessee, for example, would know what Legal Sea Foods is.

Regardless, I think you're falling into the trap people uncomfortable with the actual point I'm making are setting up, by focusing on the actual names of restaurants instead of on the concept that the cruise line dining room does not necessarily need to be a fine dining establishment. The point that folks seem to be so offended by is that it may make sense to reduce standard dining room service even further, to something more cost effective, if many cruise passengers would rather save money, and spend it on things that thrill them more than eating, such as recreation, touring, and shopping. Folks who want that elegant dining room experience clearly want everyone to subsidize their preference, and as long as they are a majority of cruise passenger that makes sense, but as soon as they're not, then it makes sense to make those folks pay more for their preference.

No it isn't. Just an observation and I tried to make it nicely. but don't worry I will not post to you any more as I feel you are more interested in being right then in realisticly looking at things.

This thread has certainly gone a long way from 'shorts in the dining room'!!!! LOL:D

Applebee's must be a very regional thing. It's so wonderful here that they have them mere miles apart and they are always mobbed. And this is a locale where you have at least 4 restaurants to choose from on almost every corner. But I'm not a fair critic since I've only had the oriental salad or wrap. Both are delicious, though I don't pretend it's healthy!!!;)

But, like Mariner, HAL has lost me. Our last cruise was okay, the service outstanding, but it wasn't what it once was so it's not good enough.

I guess the only reason I visit this board (though infrequently) is the long, long history I have of fantastic and enjoyable cruises. It's hard to let go. But we have. And when we cruise again, unless there are some changes made which I seriously doubt, a more upscale line will gain our business.

So HAL can build their megaships, overlook t-shirts in the DR, cut back as much as they want to bring prices down and accommodate a different demogaphic, but we won't be on their ships.

And I know HAL could care less and that's okay.

Yes and no need to have a HAL either- everything can just be called Carnival-since it will all be the same experience as Carnival. No need for a HAL, Princess, Costa, or a Cunard, if they are all going to be Carnival.

One minor caveat,we'll need 6 of these

pp.jpgLarge.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGUWSNSBzxx7J41tGJSYkK-p2e2DQ

LOL! The sad part is many would probally go for that to save a few bucks!

Heather I always have the Oriental Chicken Salad too, it's very tasty. But everything else on the menu is either honey-glazed (sugar) or off the charts in sodium. I'm no health nut (believe me!) but I can do without that much sugar and sodium at dinner :eek: Even the Oriental salad, which I love, is deep-fried chicken and the sauce (which makes it SO good) is sweet.

As a diabetic there aren't any really appropriate choices I can find on the Applebees menu. We do stop there though for quick take-out on a busy day because it's convenient. :p

I usually order the steak and ask for, instead of the potato .that I have the brocolli-I also ask them to please not bread crumb my brocolli when we go to Applebees . When I go to Ruby Tuesdays I order a steak and usually eat the salad bar with it and I do not order potatoes or frenchfries.

when I go to TGI Fridays I have spinach instead of potatoes. Logan's seems to work best for me. I have the grilled veggies on a kabob and a salad when I go there and I skip all that bread they bring to the table as I KNOW what that will do to me.

Yes, eating out in these restuarants is not much fun when you have diabetes. That is the great thing about the crusiehsip dinningrooms. They always have plenty of good choices for me so it is not hard for me to eat properally on a cruise and to keep my blood sugar under control.

I think that with so many airlines charging $25 to check a 2nd bag to your destination and another $25 for the return trip, I think that formal attire will disappear on all but the most up market cruise lines.

Crystal cruise lines pays for the extra baggage charges for its passengers in the suites and on the world cruise.

I started traveling with HAL when we traveled by ship for transportation and not only for a vacation. Everyone dressed reasonably well at all times in those days and some people really dressed up on the formal nights. We had an incredible amount of baggage. Those days are long gone.

I don't know that the baggage requirements are a deterrent to bringing formal attire. We just returned from a 25-day cruise, and I brought five formal outfits and all other clothing for this cruise in one 26-inch checked luggage. (Silk/polyester/microfiber are wonderful!) My husband rented his formal attire, thus saving valuable luggage space.

I agree, Tampa Girl. I just bought three new outfits that are perfect for formal nights. They won't take up any more room in the suitcase than my evening-casual clothes would have. :)

And they'll take up a lot less room than the sweatshirts and wind-breaker I'll need to take for daytime! :rolleyes:

No it isn't. Just an observation and I tried to make it nicely. but don't worry I will not post to you any more as I feel you are more interested in being right then in realisticly looking at things.

:) Sometimes I'm reminded of a man who used to be a semi-regular on Regis in the morning. I wish I could remember his name; he was a riot. He would walk the NYC streets interviewing people and he would talk complete gibberish, but he would appear and sound really intelligent yet make no sense whatsoever. Out of respect, the people tried to answer him even though they didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

I don't know that the baggage requirements are a deterrent to bringing formal attire. We just returned from a 25-day cruise, and I brought five formal outfits and all other clothing for this cruise in one 26-inch checked luggage. (Silk/polyester/microfiber are wonderful!) My husband rented his formal attire, thus saving valuable luggage space.

You are so right. Actually, all my Chicos dresses, jackets, etc., take up less room than t-shirts, shorts and jeans. And the tux rentals are one of the newer ideas we actually like!!!:)

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

A VERY, VERY LONG TIME.

Don't give HAL any ideas. THey may contract out the first floor of the dining room to Applebees, and then impose a charge for the second level dining room-and at the same time increase the Pinnacle charge.

I have seen changes in HAL, the few years I have been sailing, some for the good and some for the bad. I hope we do not see shorts in the main dining room... but. You never know.

I think we are safe for the time being. The company is making money on formal nights with the photos, and the Pinnacle.

Don't give HAL any ideas. THey may contract out the first floor of the dining room to Applebees, and then impose a charge for the second level dining room-and at the same time increase the Pinnacle charge.

I have seen changes in HAL, the few years I have been sailing, some for the good and some for the bad. I hope we do not see shorts in the main dining room... but. You never know.

I think we are safe for the time being. The company is making money on formal nights with the photos, and the Pinnacle.

And on the first floor dinningroom everyone can wear shorts, jeans, nikes and whatever else to their heart's content!

But on the second floor traditionial dinning. I would go for that!

And on the first floor dinningroom everyone can wear shorts, jeans, nikes and whatever else to their heart's content!

But on the second floor traditionial dinning. I would go for that!

That would be ok with me as well, but, HAL already has designated each level to a different dining option.

That would be ok with me as well, but, HAL already has designated each level to a different dining option.

I was actually joking, but it does seem compromise is needed somewhere.

Maybe newer ships will have a larger Pinnacle grill and you have the option for an extra fee dinning there nightly? but you would still be required to dress nicer then at the "Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday" dinningroom.

Caviergal you are a TA-do you agree that Carnival is more expensive then HAL as another post keeps insistng to me?

I usually order the steak and ask for, instead of the potato .that I have the brocolli-I also ask them to please not bread crumb my brocolli when we go to Applebees . When I go to Ruby Tuesdays I order a steak and usually eat the salad bar with it and I do not order potatoes or frenchfries.

when I go to TGI Fridays I have spinach instead of potatoes. Logan's seems to work best for me. I have the grilled veggies on a kabob and a salad when I go there and I skip all that bread they bring to the table as I KNOW what that will do to me.

Yes, eating out in these restuarants is not much fun when you have diabetes. That is the great thing about the crusiehsip dinningrooms. They always have plenty of good choices for me so it is not hard for me to eat properally on a cruise and to keep my blood sugar under control.

Momofmeg you have some good alternatives for avoiding those carbs ;)

So far my diabetes is under control by diet and exercise, no meds needed -- and on cruises I just make sure to get as much exercise as possible so I can enjoy that great food! There's always a way to exercise on a cruise, so no excuses there!

Unfortunately, as far as the steaks go at our local Applebees, I've tried it twice and coud barely eat it! Way too highly seasoned, and just not high quality IMO, so I never order their steaks.

I know that there are many traditional cruisers out there and I also enjoy formal nights. My husband isn't crazy about it but he does it for me as I enjoy formal night. As for jeans in the dining room if there are dress jeans and a nice shirt or blouse what is the problem now I am talking about casual nights not formal. Jeans with holes or faded and tee's I would say no. It falls under common sense and many folks lack it and do not have consideration of others.

HAL is not even going to read this board. They are trying to attract younger people then us older folks. Many of us dress for work all week and do not feel like dressing avery night IT'S A VACATION. We spend good money

to enjoy ourselves. If everyone stopped dissecting a cruise before they went

they probalbly would enjoy it better.

There is always change wether we like it or not

Stop being so stuffy and enjoy as life is way to short