How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Odd Ball

I know that there are many traditional cruisers out there and I also enjoy formal nights. My husband isn't crazy about it but he does it for me as I enjoy formal night. As for jeans in the dining room if there are dress jeans and a nice shirt or blouse what is the problem now I am talking about casual nights not formal. Jeans with holes or faded and tee's I would say no. It falls under common sense and many folks lack it and do not have consideration of others.

HAL is not even going to read this board. They are trying to attract younger people then us older folks. Many of us dress for work all week and do not feel like dressing avery night IT'S A VACATION. We spend good money

to enjoy ourselves. If everyone stopped dissecting a cruise before they went

they probalbly would enjoy it better.

There is always change wether we like it or not

Stop being so stuffy and enjoy as life is way to short

Actually, I am certain that all cruise lines read these boards, and they would be 14 karat dumb if they didn't.:D

Smooth sailing to you.

Spoke to a few people from HAL at a show and on the phone they said once in awhile someone will read a few posts but they do not have the time to read the posts. They would have to hire someone just to read the posts and they are not going to do it.

Spoke to a few people from HAL at a show and on the phone they said once in awhile someone will read a few posts but they do not have the time to read the posts. They would have to hire someone just to read the posts and they are not going to do it.

Really! :eek:

I have been to Legal Seafood , they are very good :)

Yes, but personally I prefer the Old Union Oyster House - however, don't even attempt it at noon on a workday!

Bob

Yes, it is true. Several different HAL employees told me the same thing.

That they were aware of the boards but they would have to hire someone just to monitor the boards and they will not do that.

Actualy I thought this was a discussion among us folks-it never occured to me someone might read this from the crusieline.

Momofmeg you have some good alternatives for avoiding those carbs ;)

So far my diabetes is under control by diet and exercise, no meds needed -- and on cruises I just make sure to get as much exercise as possible so I can enjoy that great food! There's always a way to exercise on a cruise, so no excuses there!

Unfortunately, as far as the steaks go at our local Applebees, I've tried it twice and coud barely eat it! Way too highly seasoned, and just not high quality IMO, so I never order their steaks.

Yes I prefer Logans or Longhorns for steaks-they do make them better, that being their specalty. But as I said, eating out is not that much fun for me, no matter where we go, more fun for my hubby and daughter, I just tag along and do the best I can, usually dinner at those resturants is THEIR choice, not mine .

On the other hand, I have found it is a much more fun experience on a cruiseship-as a cruiseship has many, many choices, I can always find a good choice for me.

Actualy I thought this was a discussion among us folks-it never occured to me someone might read this from the crusieline.

Mom there was a thread reguarding this on the main board a few days ago...

apparently a cruiser posted about taking her mom on a cruise and her mom had asmatha, I think... HAL saw and contacted them and requested they reconsider a cruise.

So, yes.. they do read... from time to time, some of other cruisers also mentioned on that same thread crew members who'd read the threads and put the sn to the person once they were on board.

I spoke with cruise line reps who assured me that cruise critic was monitored very carefully. I never asked this of HAL, but realistically, why would they be any different?:)

apparently a cruiser posted about taking her mom on a cruise and her mom had asmatha, I think... HAL saw and contacted them and requested they reconsider a cruise.

So, yes.. they do read... from time to time, some of other cruisers also mentioned on that same thread crew members who'd read the threads and put the sn to the person once they were on board.

Well I do know they do some. I know I googled "momofmeg" once and I found where Carnival had put part of my review of the Miracle that I had posted on the carnival board in one of their ads.

But I still do not believe the cruiselines necessarily read all this stuff here to see where they could improve their ships. THAT is what I meant-they may take a postive post and use it in an advertizement-but I do not think they look at posts for improving.

BTW you could walk downstairs and speak to me and not post to me here. LOL!

I spoke with cruise line reps who assured me that cruise critic was monitored very carefully. I never asked this of HAL, but realistically, why would they be any different?:)

Then tell that to dolls4sale-she is the one that said they didn't-I just said it never occured to me that the boards were monitored.

Whether they do or not-is not why I post here-I post when a subject interests me.

The mother had Alzheimers, not asthma ... big difference.

HAL definitely positively reads these boards on a daily basis. Some read because they want to and others have it as part of their job description.

Well I do know they do some. I know I googled "momofmeg" once and I found where Carnival had put part of my review of the Miracle that I had posted on the carnival board in one of their ads.

But I still do not believe the cruiselines necessarily read all this stuff here to see where they could improve their ships. THAT is what I meant-they may take a postive post and use it in an advertizement-but I do not think they look at posts for improving.

BTW you could walk downstairs and speak to me and not post to me here. LOL!

When you Google your screen name here almost every post you ever made comes up!

I'm fairly certain that any company has to ask your permission before using your review word for word in an ad. I could be wrong, but I know I've had to give my permission on a few occasions for things I've written to be used commercially.

I believe HAL does read these posts as a guideline for how they might improve their service. There's really no other reason for them to read CC (except for their own amusement of course ... I suspect they've had many a laugh over many of these threads over the years).

Then tell that to dolls4sale-she is the one that said they didn't-I just said it never occured to me that the boards were monitored.

Whether they do or not-is not why I post here-I post when a subject interests me.

The best reason of all. :)

The mother had Alzheimers, not asthma ... big difference.

HAL definitely positively reads these boards on a daily basis. Some read because they want to and others have it as part of their job description.

When you Google your screen name here almost every post you ever made comes up!

I'm fairly certain that any company has to ask your permission before using your review word for word in an ad. I could be wrong, but I know I've had to give my permission on a few occasions for things I've written to be used commercially.

I believe HAL does read these posts as a guideline for how they might improve their service. There's really no other reason for them to read CC (except for their own amusement of course ... I suspect they've had many a laugh over many of these threads over the years).

No one ever contacted me. They only used a couple paragraphs. Not the whole review. As far as quoting me, I am sure once something is posted here it is the property of cruisecritic-besides-it is not like I wrote a novel and they had plaquerizerd a novel-if they had to get permission-I am sure they would get that from cruisecritc and not me.

Hey when I found it-last year-it had been THREE years since I had posted that as we did that cruise in April 04-the only reason I had even googled was because on that "other" cruise messageboard-someone said I should do it.

My personal preference is no shorts in the dinning room in the evening. I like the elegent casual atmosphere opposed to the semi/formal atmosphere. If formal or semi formal is your choice I am fine with that but I ll like the elegent casual.

As for shorts in the dining room in the evening. NO! I was part of a goup who wore shorts when we were in Bermuda because we thought it was enjoying the ambience of Bermuda. When we got to the dinning room we were amazed how many others were dressed the same way and the maitre de said it happens often in Bermuda.

We are going on the queen Mary 2 in January and we expect to dress accordingly.

I do think that americans tend to dress poorly when travelling. Many people do not know the difference between casual and slovenly, especially when compared to many europeans.

Yes, but personally I prefer the Old Union Oyster House - however, don't even attempt it at noon on a workday!

Bob

Another great place...but we don't find ourselves near Government Center very often these days.

Absolutely! Every visit to Boston eventually takes me down to their restaurant by the harbor. Excellent!

It's the best, Jim! We've never been disappointed with Legal Sea Foods.

Check their website...they have numerous locations throughout the country now!

HAL is not even going to read this board. They are trying to attract younger people then us older folks.

Quite the contrary, as has already been stated on this thread and elsewhere, HAL-Seattle keeps abreast of not only the general attitudes and tenor of this board, but they are particularly aware of specific individuals who are frequent posters here; indeed, in the past they have made efforts to address our concerns, sometimes directly. Even before I was over the 100-day cruise mark I was frequently being invited to VIP parties, etc., and the officers and many crew often knew I was "RevNeal" from Cruise Critic. When I asked how this was known, I was informed that, aside from the fact that THEY read the board and I was instantly identified by my Avatar, they would sometimes receive annotations from Seattle in which frequent CC-posters were correlated with specific passengers on a ship's census.

On one cruise I was informed by more than one staff person -- and, later, by the Hotel Manager, who was doing it -- that my "Live From ... " thread was being printed out, post by post, and pinned up on a bulletin board in crew-country, with praise highlighted in one color and criticism highlighted in another color. Once I commented on some damage I noticed in a passenger corridor ... a particularly dangerous bit of damaged trim that was sagging from the ceiling after an especially rough night at sea. After posting on the board a remark on sighting the damage, and where it was located, I went to lunch. On my way back to my cabin after lunch I noticed that the crew were already hard at work, fixing the damage, and on my phone there was a message from the front desk letting me know that the work was being done. Note ... I never told the front desk about the damage, I just posted a report of it on this board. Of course, the report of the speedy repair figured prominently in my next post. Toward the end of the cruise the Hotel Manager introduced me to the Captain as "RevNeal ... the fellow who has been posting on Cruise Critic all those reports from our ship."

Once, during a Captain's Black and White Ball, one of the Assistant Cruise Directors came directly up to me and, after saying "I've been wanting to meet you ever since I saw you come aboard," she asked me to dance. I had been dancing with several of the ladies in our group (as RuthC can attest!), but it was a lull and I was sipping my drink and chatting with others. I smiled and said "sure," stood up and gave her my arm to lead her out onto the floor. Right after we began dancing she said to me "You're RevNeal from Cruise Critic, aren't you?" I admitted that I was and then we chatted, at great length, about the board, about the interest that Seattle Higher-Ups have in keeping abreast of the goings-on on the board, and about certain "characters" who post on the board. It was a fascinating conversation, getting to hear some perspective from someone who, up until recently, had been shore-side staff who read the boards daily. As one might expect, there is both an official, professional interest as well as a personal interest ... many the people who work for HAL have a deep love of cruising -- just like us -- and so they are often interested in the kinds of things we are. That became obvious as our conversation lasted well beyond the scope of a single dance; some of her questions were clearly "official duty" type questions -- like "who-in-the-flesh, here" is "who-on-the-board" -- and others were obviously questions of personal interest -- like, "which cabin category do you prefer when cruising solo," or "you take great photos, what kind of camera do you use?" Questions like that.

Once, right after boarding the Oosterdam, I was making my way into the Lido. I passed a man wearing the shoulder boards of the Hotel Manager. He stopped, turned, and said "Reverend Neal!" I stopped and turned back and he came over and introduced himself. I asked him if we had ever met before and he said: "No, but you look like your Avatar and that makes it easy to spot you. I've been reading your posts for years."

On the Noordam Inaugural I was intercepted by a half-dozen or more HAL staffers, mostly people from Seattle who were aboard the ship for that cruise, and all of whom wanted to talk about Cruise Critic and about my opinions regarding the Noordam. At a VIP party aboard the Volendam several officers introduced themselves to me all the while saying that they "knew me from the Board." I could keep going.

In short ... yes ... they read this board.

I guess no one read where I said they read some. Good greif! When I say this please understand it is not meant to be rude but Bottom Line the STOCKHOLDERS have the say. Just like I posted about the fuel rebate I am sure it will get twisted some how but that came from the rep from HAL today!

And again the rep said they are aware of these boards and Sometimes someone will read them, hey dodn't kill the messenger!!

I guess no one read where I said they read some. Good greif! When I say this please understand it is not meant to be rude but Bottom Line the STOCKHOLDERS have the say. Just like I posted about the fuel rebate I am sure it will get twisted some how but that came from the rep from HAL today!

And again the rep said they are aware of these boards and Sometimes someone will read them, hey dodn't kill the messenger!!

Oh, I hear what you're saying and I don't think I'm in any way shooting the messenger; I'm just giving what I've been told on multiple occasions and by many different people.

And, you are correct, it's what the ownership (CCL) and the stockholders and the board of directors ultimately have to say that what matters. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Hence ... the reason why some of our whining and complaining has gone NOWHERE to ameliorating our concerns.

Oh, I hear what you're saying and I don't think I'm in any way shooting the messenger; I'm just giving what I've been told on multiple occasions and by many different people.

And, you are correct, it's what the ownership (CCL) and the stockholders and the board of directors ultimately have to say that what matters. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Hence ... the reason why some of our whining and complaining has gone NOWHERE to ameliorating our concerns.

I did try to send you an e-mail but it came back is revneal@aoldotcom the correct e-mail?

I figured you just want to let me know about our friend-although I am sure I already know what you will say.

Everyone is just trying to give helpful information and no one is shooting the messenger:) . Maybe you misinterpreted.

The stockholders of any company will be happy when the company is making money and the stock is rising. They don't care who the passengers are as long as they are beating down the door. So HAL and any other cruiseline reaches out in many directions to get a sense of what people want, both frequent cruisers and people who have never cruised before.

So Cruise Critic, which if I'm not mistaken has more members than any other board, is a very good place for them to come for input along with many other places.

Any rep you speak with will not necessarily read CC, but rest assured it is being read.

Momofmeg, I didn't mean to suggest it was any big deal they used your words. I was just surprised. I just about died the first time I Googled my screen name, even my real name!:)

Everyone is just trying to give helpful information and no one is shooting the messenger:) . Maybe you misinterpreted.

The stockholders of any company will be happy when the company is making money and the stock is rising. They don't care who the passengers are as long as they are beating down the door. So HAL and any other cruiseline reaches out in many directions to get a sense of what people want, both frequent cruisers and people who have never cruised before.

So Cruise Critic, which if I'm not mistaken has more members than any other board, is a very good place for them to come for input along with many other places.

Any rep you speak with will not necessarily read CC, but rest assured it is being read.

Momofmeg, I didn't mean to suggest it was any big deal they used your words. I was just surprised. I just about died the first time I Googled my screen name, even my real name!:)

Yes there are other momofmeg's but all the crusie messegeboards ones are me. I am not a scrapbook fan and I have never had breast cancer.

I "googled" again and I could not find that ad. I guess it has been too long now.

As far s my real name-I found several with my name-LOL! first and last! an dmy first name is very unusual- which is why I use my middle name "Jane" here.

Archived