Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Ball

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

I did try to send you an e-mail but it came back is revneal@aoldotcom the correct e-mail?

I figured you just want to let me know about our friend-although I am sure I already know what you will say.

Oh, yes ... revneal@aoldotcom is correct. Or, you can send it to me at revneal@macdotcom too. Don't forget to take out "dot" and put in "."

G

Oh, yes ... revneal@aoldotcom is correct. Or, you can send it to me at revneal@macdotcom too. Don't forget to take out "dot" and put in "."

G

I wonder why the e-mail was returned? maybe your mail box is too full? You need to clean out all that spam!

Quite the contrary, as has already been stated on this thread and elsewhere, HAL-Seattle keeps abreast of not only the general attitudes and tenor of this board, but they are particularly aware of specific individuals who are frequent posters here; indeed, in the past they have made efforts to address our concerns, sometimes directly. Even before I was over the 100-day cruise mark I was frequently being invited to VIP parties, etc., and the officers and many crew often knew I was "RevNeal" from Cruise Critic. When I asked how this was known, I was informed that, aside from the fact that THEY read the board and I was instantly identified by my Avatar, they would sometimes receive annotations from Seattle in which frequent CC-posters were correlated with specific passengers on a ship's census.

On one cruise I was informed by more than one staff person -- and, later, by the Hotel Manager, who was doing it -- that my "Live From ... " thread was being printed out, post by post, and pinned up on a bulletin board in crew-country, with praise highlighted in one color and criticism highlighted in another color. Once I commented on some damage I noticed in a passenger corridor ... a particularly dangerous bit of damaged trim that was sagging from the ceiling after an especially rough night at sea. After posting on the board a remark on sighting the damage, and where it was located, I went to lunch. On my way back to my cabin after lunch I noticed that the crew were already hard at work, fixing the damage, and on my phone there was a message from the front desk letting me know that the work was being done. Note ... I never told the front desk about the damage, I just posted a report of it on this board. Of course, the report of the speedy repair figured prominently in my next post. Toward the end of the cruise the Hotel Manager introduced me to the Captain as "RevNeal ... the fellow who has been posting on Cruise Critic all those reports from our ship."

Once, during a Captain's Black and White Ball, one of the Assistant Cruise Directors came directly up to me and, after saying "I've been wanting to meet you ever since I saw you come aboard," she asked me to dance. I had been dancing with several of the ladies in our group (as RuthC can attest!), but it was a lull and I was sipping my drink and chatting with others. I smiled and said "sure," stood up and gave her my arm to lead her out onto the floor. Right after we began dancing she said to me "You're RevNeal from Cruise Critic, aren't you?" I admitted that I was and then we chatted, at great length, about the board, about the interest that Seattle Higher-Ups have in keeping abreast of the goings-on on the board, and about certain "characters" who post on the board. It was a fascinating conversation, getting to hear some perspective from someone who, up until recently, had been shore-side staff who read the boards daily. As one might expect, there is both an official, professional interest as well as a personal interest ... many the people who work for HAL have a deep love of cruising -- just like us -- and so they are often interested in the kinds of things we are. That became obvious as our conversation lasted well beyond the scope of a single dance; some of her questions were clearly "official duty" type questions -- like "who-in-the-flesh, here" is "who-on-the-board" -- and others were obviously questions of personal interest -- like, "which cabin category do you prefer when cruising solo," or "you take great photos, what kind of camera do you use?" Questions like that.

Once, right after boarding the Oosterdam, I was making my way into the Lido. I passed a man wearing the shoulder boards of the Hotel Manager. He stopped, turned, and said "Reverend Neal!" I stopped and turned back and he came over and introduced himself. I asked him if we had ever met before and he said: "No, but you look like your Avatar and that makes it easy to spot you. I've been reading your posts for years."

On the Noordam Inaugural I was intercepted by a half-dozen or more HAL staffers, mostly people from Seattle who were aboard the ship for that cruise, and all of whom wanted to talk about Cruise Critic and about my opinions regarding the Noordam. At a VIP party aboard the Volendam several officers introduced themselves to me all the while saying that they "knew me from the Board." I could keep going.

In short ... yes ... they read this board.

The power of the internet *LOL*

I don't doubt it for a second that they read these boards , maybe not religiously (No pun intended :)) everyday, but I am sure many staff do.

I could see them needing one person full time to just read every post written on all these boards.

The internet gets its share of bad press when somone abuses it ,which sadly is easy to do if you so choose.

But it is also an extrordinary tool for information, research , and in cases like these boards ..feedback.

Long before there was an internet and a Cruise Critic, "Word of Mouth" was a great form of advertising.

Well word of mouth doesn't get spread farther than it does here.

I don't care what business it is , if you are aware of a forum where people are praiseing or panning your product to a wide audience , you would be very foolish not to check it out and see what is being said.

We were just on the Noordam last week, and saw someone turned away from the Dining room because he was wearing capri-length pants (man-pris?!).

They were very nice pants with a dressy polo shirt, but he was sent back to change nonetheless. A bit of a double standard since many of us ladies were wearing capri length pants and had no trouble being seated.

And no, although we were docked in Bermuda, I saw no bermuda shorts in the DR :)

Caroline

The power of the internet *LOL*

I don't doubt it for a second that they read these boards , maybe not religiously (No pun intended :)) everyday, but I am sure many staff do.

I could see them needing one person full time to just read every post written on all these boards.

The internet gets its share of bad press when somone abuses it ,which sadly is easy to do if you so choose.

But it is also an extrordinary tool for information, research , and in cases like these boards ..feedback.

Long before there was an internet and a Cruise Critic, "Word of Mouth" was a great form of advertising.

Well word of mouth doesn't get spread farther than it does here.

I don't care what business it is , if you are aware of a forum where people are praiseing or panning your product to a wide audience , you would be very foolish not to check it out and see what is being said.

Well said!

We were just on the Noordam last week, and saw someone turned away from the Dining room because he was wearing capri-length pants (man-pris?!).

They were very nice pants with a dressy polo shirt, but he was sent back to change nonetheless. A bit of a double standard since many of us ladies were wearing capri length pants and had no trouble being seated.

Maybe if he'd taken time to shave his legs ... ?

I wonder why the e-mail was returned? maybe your mail box is too full? You need to clean out all that spam!

I have no idea ... I keep my box cleaned every day (except when I'm on a cruise). It's clean right now. Perhaps your server doesn't like to talk to aol? Go to my website (http://www.revneal.org), go to "Contact" and click on the link there to get a direct address without having to type it in.

Sorry!!!!

Greg

I have no idea ... I keep my box cleaned every day (except when I'm on a cruise). It's clean right now. Perhaps your server doesn't like to talk to aol? Go to my website (http://www.revneal.org), go to "Contact" and click on the link there to get a direct address without having to type it in.

Sorry!!!!

Greg

I sent you another one. My MIL had aol so I don't think so.

I sent you another one. My MIL had aol so I don't think so.

Thanks! I got it, and I just shot back a response.

:D

Thanks! I got it, and I just shot back a response.

:D

Yep I got it and you are correct. Wise advice!

And no, although we were docked in Bermuda, I saw no bermuda shorts in the DR :)

Caroline

That's got to be 1st...I've never seen a man in capri's!

In the past, we've traveled to Bermuda frequently ('68 for our honeymoon through '93). The most common mode of dress for men at the time, in the many elegant restaurants during the evening, were a tie, jacket (navy blazer or madras! ;) ) and dress Bermuda shorts...with knee sox!

In the past, we've traveled to Bermuda frequently ('68 for our honeymoon through '93). The most common mode of dress for men at the time, in the many elegant restaurants during the evening, were a tie, jacket (navy blazer or madras! ;) ) and dress Bermuda shorts...with knee sox!

And if I were to see a man dressed like that, at night, on a HAL cruise I wouldn't mind at all. That's a dressed up, polished look.

It's the "ready for a cook-out" look that I think this thread is about.

And if I were to see a man dressed like that, at night, on a HAL cruise I wouldn't mind at all. That's a dressed up, polished look.

It's the "ready for a cook-out" look that I think this thread is about.

I agree...it's a very nice look. My DH bought into it with his Bermuda's and knee socks, too!

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Carnival's new dress code.

Hello Everyone,

Please be aware that we have made a change in our Dress Code policy.

Below you will find the new policy as it will be stated in our marketing materials:

What to wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England / Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

The new policy will be enforced beginning with May 19th sailings

How do you define dress shorts ?

Do white knee socks with sandals go with dress shorts ? :D

Hopefully never!!!

Bill

As long as Holland America maintains its' WONDERFUL customer service on board, I don't care WHAT the suggested dress is on the ship.

I, for one, would be tickled to eat in the dining room in shorts.....but, that's just me. :)

As long as Holland America maintains its' WONDERFUL customer service on board, I don't care WHAT the suggested dress is on the ship.

I, for one, would be tickled to eat in the dining room in shorts.....but, that's just me. :)

I think you might be tickled to eat in the dining room w/o your shorts :eek:

I promise not to notice unless there is a pineapple on your head. :)

Hopefully never!!!

Bill

Bill I have never seen Men's dress shorts except for like what they wear in Bermuda. Women can buy the dresseir shorts with a matching blazer. They are usually worn with hose. So I guess with you see them with knee socks or hose instead of flip flops they are dress? LOL!

534749.gif

Pipedreams LOL!!!! That was my Dad, as dressed for shore excursions, to a T! Thanks for the humor! :D

On formal nights he would be in Tuxedo or suit ... no shorts. :D

534749.gif

That look is bad enough in the daytime! :eek: Seeing it aboard ship at night and I'd lose my appetite real fast. :rolleyes:

Pipedreams LOL!!!! That was my Dad, as dressed for shore excursions, to a T! Thanks for the humor! :D

On formal nights he would be in Tuxedo or suit ... no shorts. :D

I'm in Florida so this attire is on every corner.

Have a great day.

534749.gif

Make those knee socks in stead of crew socks and he would be in "dress" shorts!

Let's add a bow tie too! LOL!

That look is bad enough in the daytime! :eek: Seeing it aboard ship at night and I'd lose my appetite real fast. :rolleyes:

Dad never dressed like that aboard ship in the evening hours. :) Still ... it brought back memories (good ones) of Dad on shore excursions. :D

Still ... it brought back memories (good ones) of Dad on shore excursions. :D

And I'm happy for you that it did, and no offense to your father meant.

But white socks with that outfit! :eek: And the slip-ons? :rolleyes: And the shirt and shorts in the same color family, but neither matching or coordinating! :eek:

My husband used to make match-ups like that. I used to threaten to put Gar-Animal tags on his clothes. :D