Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Ball

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

And I'm happy for you that it did, and no offense to your father meant.

I know ... :) I know.

But white socks with that outfit! :eek: And the slip-ons? :rolleyes: And the shirt and shorts in the same color family, but neither matching or coordinating! :eek:

My husband used to make match-ups like that. I used to threaten to put Gar-Animal tags on his clothes. :D

Well ... white socks are better than dark socks when one is wearing shorts!!!!!!! UGH!!! Dad would normally wear walking shoes or Tennis shoes, but he migrated to slip-ons due to feet-problems during his last few years. As for the color coordinations ... LOL ... Dad was in uniform for so many years that he didn't know how to dress himself. Mom would lay out Formal, Informal, and Casual evening wear for him, but would usually let him choose day-time wear, etc. It sometimes made for clashing problems.

However ... watch it ... I've been known to wear tan shorts and a pastel polo while lounging around the ship during the daytime hours!!!!!!! :D You had lunch with me, once, when I was wearing a peach-colored polo, kaki dockers /shorts and sandals (no socks). Aboard the Noordam. Jan 07. Remember?

It's the missing belt that really makes the outfit just perfect. :D

LOL! ;)

Oh, Dad would definitely have worn a belt. He'd have to have one so-as to have something to clip his cell-phone too. :D

I agree with those of you who still want a "standard" of dress at dinner - in the dining rooms. If someone wants to be super casual let them eat in the Lido, or order room service. Keep the dining room a civilized affair - this makes it feel special.:D

I AGREE ;IF I WANT TO LOOK LIKE A LAID BACK BEACH BOY I WILL GO TO THE LIDO OR THE GRILL; BETTER STILL ;I,ll STAY HOME AND GO TO MICKEY Ds'.

Just so I can say I got my 2c's in on this subject. I wish no cruise line would allow shorts in the dining room during evening meal. You can't dictate good manners but if you keep relaxing standards you will get terrible results in the future. Just my opinion:D

Just so I can say I got my 2c's in on this subject. I wish no cruise line would allow shorts in the dining room during evening meal. You can't dictate good manners but if you keep relaxing standards you will get terrible results in the future. Just my opinion:D

Unfortunately, the horse is out of the barn on that one:(. I agree that by officially relaxing dress codes to allow shorts, new time lows will be reached by some passengers. Sad, but true.

However ... watch it ... I've been known to wear tan shorts and a pastel polo while lounging around the ship during the daytime hours!!!!!!! :D You had lunch with me, once, when I was wearing a peach-colored polo, kaki dockers /shorts and sandals (no socks). Aboard the Noordam. Jan 07. Remember?

I should do the Gar-Animals thing for you, maybe? ;)

Trying To get Into the Dining Room!

tack.jpg

You appear to have an inexhaustible capacity to create mischief. :eek:

Smooth sailing to you...

tack.jpg

*LOL* :)

Reminds me of the old skit they used to do on Saturday Night Live . The Widette family :)

I think you might be tickled to eat in the dining room w/o your shorts :eek:

The heck with the dining room....I'd be tickled with a bar on the Topless Deck. :) (Although, I've gotten cocktail service up there on the Volendam)

tack.jpg

Now...that's hilarious! Looks like something from SNL! LOL! :D

Someone questioned the tradition in Bermuda regarding it being appropriate for men to wear a jacket and tie, Bermuda shorts, and knee sox to dinner.

Here's something I found on a Bermuda page on a Yahoo search:

"Bermuda Tradition

With its quiet and reserved lifestyle, Bermuda has its own distinctive manners. One should always address a person met in the course of one’s day with the appropriate greeting of "Good morning," "Good afternoon," or "Good evening," plus the name of the person, "Sir", or "Madam"; this rule applies to strangers as well, such as shopkeepers or bus drivers. Daily greetings extend to the roadways, where drivers will "honk" their hellos to one another.

Despite its tropical climate, Bermuda can be especially formal, such as the requirement of a dinner jacket and tie at restaurants or strict adherence to traditional white on the tennis court. It is considered proper for men to wear Bermuda shorts, knee socks, jacket and tie. "Resort" and "beach wear" belong strictly to resorts or aboard cruise-ships, but not on this formal British island. Proper business attire is the norm."

*LOL* :)

Reminds me of the old skit they used to do on Saturday Night Live . The Widette family :)

Wasn't it the Wideload Family?

Are those 2 "regulars" here on the Cruise Critic HAL Forum? They look vaguely familiar. :)

**edited to say: "that's about how I feel after a vacation.....no holds barred with food!" Oink Oink. :)

Wasn't it the Wideload Family?

Nope it was Widette , because Gilda Radner played the daughter Tammy Widette (take off on Wynette) :)