Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd Ball

How long before Hal changes and allows shorts in the dining room ?

Any exception for little boys?

I recall these types of outfits used to be acceptable in society for young boys in formal situations?

I think they are darling!

LT590-t.jpg

Any exception for little boys?

I recall these types of outfits used to be acceptable in society for young boys in formal situations?

I think they are darling!

LT590-t.jpg

I like the hat, looks like Dutch night all over again - Come to think of it, I like the shorts also - beats lederhosen! Were does one obtain a get-up like that?

East is east and west is west

And the wrong one I have chose

Let's go where they keep on wearin'

Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows

Rings and things and buttons and bows.

Don't bury me in this prairie

Take me where the cement grows

Let's move down to some big town

Where they love a gal by the cut o' her clothes

And you'll stand out, in buttons and bows.

I'll love you in buckskin

Or skirts that you've homespun

But I'll love ya' longer, stronger

Where yer friends don't tote a gun

My bones denounce the buckboard bounce

And the cactus hurts my toes

Let's vamoose where gals keep a-usin'

Those silks and satins and linen that shows

And I'm all yours in buttons and bows.

Gimme eastern trimmin' where women are women

In high silk hose and peek-a-boo clothes

And French perfume that rocks the room

And I'm all yours in buttons and bows.

Buttons and bows, buttons and bows.....

original lyrics by Ray Evans

I like the hat, looks like Dutch night all over again - Come to think of it, I like the shorts also - beats lederhosen! Were does one obtain a get-up like that?

Wholesalekid.com

I bet Ebay has 'em too...

As much as I dislike having to "dress up", I would not like to see HAL change its policy of no shorts in the dining room. The Lido is a good alternative for those who do not choose to get all "guzzied up" for formal nights.

I really don't see the need for shorts in the dining room on any evening.

As much as I dislike having to "dress up", I would not like to see HAL change its policy of no shorts in the dining room. The Lido is a good alternative for those who do not choose to get all "guzzied up" for formal nights.

I really don't see the need for shorts in the dining room on any evening.

shoes_iaec1001348.jpg

This hasn't even received an honorable mention?

suit574.jpg

GOOD God !!!!!!!!!I wore a powder blue tux just like that to my prom in 1980 and a silver grey one as usher in my sisters wedding about 1981.

YIKES

you think those were bad????????? You should have seen the bridesmaid dresses *LOL*

I don't think that I have ever met a person that has yet to go on a cruise say, "I will start cruising when they allow shorts in the dining room."
You need to head over to the Windjammer forum.

And I think that's why you don't see how this kind of thing can help the bottom-line, because you simply have avoided/ignored/discounted "people like that" despite their market power.

In my opinion, HAL could have increased their market share by keeping things as they were. It seems to me that a lot of people prefer that and would have migrated to HAL as other lines changed.
Yeah, well, everyone has opinions, but the market data that the cruise lines rely on to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility evidently say otherwise. I'll believe them.

We'll be right there! As soon as we make a quick stop for soda and beer

anyclamp.jpg supermarkets by the port?

What's really interesting is how folks are insinuating that folks who wear shorts in the dining room (now that it is explicitly permitted) is somehow uncouth, but these folks are making such incredibly rude comments about the folks who subscribe to a different perspective. Which is the greater transgression? In my book, comments like the one quoted above are far more disrespectful than even wearing tank tops on formal night. :sad:

Thank you Ma'am:)

You are welcome.

When you think about it, it only makes sense that little boy's formal outfits included shorts. They would absolutely ruin the pants on a tux in no time at all. Asking a 3 year old boy not to get down on his knees for several hours is like asking a fish not to swim. :)

You are welcome.

When you think about it, it only makes sense that little boy's formal outfits included shorts. They would absolutely ruin the pants on a tux in no time at all. Asking a 3 year old boy not to get down on his knees for several hours is like asking a fish not to swim. :)

Easter 1967

a young mother dresses her 4 children in adorable little outfits in preparation for church and a large family dinner at grandmas house.

The youngest , an adorable little boy of 4 is wearing a little blue suit with a jacket ,shirt ,tie and short pants, It even had suspenders and a cute little hat. And of course shiny new black shoes.

Said young mother tells adorable children to go outside in the yard to wait for her to get the camera and take some pictures.

While waiting the (did I mention adorable :) 4 year old spots a cat climbing up into the tree house next door and immediately feels the need to go chase him out.

While climbing the tree, said 4 year old catches himself on a nail on the tree house ladder, thus tearing the pants and cutting his leg to the tune of 5 stitches :(

Resulting in really pissed off young mother taking other three children to church ,while even more pissed off father takes adorable 4 year old to the ER and meeting up with everyone hours later at Grandmas.

So yes those suits do bring back memories *LOL* :)

You need to head over to the Windjammer forum.

And I think that's why you don't see how this kind of thing can help the bottom-line, because you simply have avoided/ignored/discounted "people like that" despite their market power.

Yeah, well, everyone has opinions, but the market data that the cruise lines rely on to fulfill their fiduciary responsibility evidently say otherwise. I'll believe them.

Windjammer forum? We all know how much of a market share Windjammer represented.

Shorts can't be far away(AYW) . HAL can't even police it's own dress code. We saw Jeans, flannel shirts on formal night on Noordam 06. we are trying carnival again and we will be dressed to the nines, tux, suits and gowns. No tanks, no shorts. seaya

What's really interesting is how folks are insinuating that folks who wear shorts in the dining room (now that it is explicitly permitted) is somehow uncouth, but these folks are making such incredibly rude comments about the folks who subscribe to a different perspective. Which is the greater transgression? In my book, comments like the one quoted above are far more disrespectful than even wearing tank tops on formal night. :sad:

I agree with you. While I personally would not wear shorts in the dining room, to be honest, it wouldn't impact my cruise any if others did. So what? I think what a lot of people on these boards forget is that a cruise is a VACATION. If the cruise line opts to allow shorts in the dining room, and someone decides to do so because they like being dressed very casually on vacation ... then what's the problem? What business is it of mine what someone else chooses to wear? If it bothers me that much, then it should be ME, not them, who does not eat in the formal dining room anymore. It should be ME who switches cruise lines if I'm not happy with the dress code, not the other person who is not doing anything wrong in wearing the shorts that are now allowed.

Like I said, I doubt HAL will ever allow shorts in the dining room ... at least during dinner ... but if they did I would then have to decide if I wanted to switch cruise lines based on that fact. People choosing to wear their shorts wouldn't be doing anything wrong, and I would have no right to make comments about them either on these boards or elsewhere.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Windjammer forum? We all know how much of a market share Windjammer represented.
Yeah, people don't want to work that hard. Many people just want to lounge around in their shorts.

Are you insinuating that those "who make the effort (what effort?) to dress(assume nudity is not permitted even in the most casual dining venues) should be rewarded with better food selection" because that are "better" people?
I agree with having a venue where formal would be the order of the evening on certain nights ... but, no, I don't think they should offer anything special on the menu. It should just be another room ... maybe the Queen or Kings Room, where people choosing to dress formally could go that evening for dinner and be surrounded by others choosing to dress the same way. There would be no cover charge (as in the Pinnacle) and the food served would be the exact menu items being served in the dining room that night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've been awaiting your posts on this thread, Rita.... alas, you're always the voice of reason. :)

I don't think that I have ever met a person that has yet to go on a cruise say, "I will start cruising when they allow shorts in the dining room." I don't see how this will increase the bottom line.

Then maybe you need to get out more? :) Just kidding ...

Seriously, though, maybe no one ever said that specifically, but I have heard MANY people make an argument against cruising in terms of formal nights. I have had people tell me that they would never in a million years be able to get their husbands into a suit and tie while on vacation and that's why they wouldn't even consider a cruise. I have another friend who said there was no way she was gonna fight with her two kids to get them dressed in fancy duds just to go to dinner. There are plenty of other vacation options for her where the kids can eat in whatever they happen to be wearing at the time ... including their bathing suits with a pair of shorts thrown over them. HAL (as well as the other cruise lines) have to compete not only with each other, but with these other vacation venues. There's no reason people can't opt for a land vacation at an All Inclusive Resort in lieu of a cruise. If the land resorts will allow an all casual dress code ... VERY casual ... and there are a lot of folks who prefer that ... then the cruise lines stand to lose a lot in the way of this new business by not "getting with the times."

So, you'd better believe allowing casual dress will improve the bottom line for most cruise lines, because it will remove a major obstacle that some people have in deciding to try a cruise vacation. There are plenty of people who do not even OWN dressy clothes. Maybe they work in "non-traditional" jobs where they don't have to dress up (such as myself), and because of that they own precious little in the way of dressy clothes, preferring to spend their wardrobe money on things they can use everyday. There are lots of people (again, like myself) whose lifestyles do not involve having to get dressed up for social activities ... and therefore, they don't bother having these items in their wardrobe. There are a lot of folks (once again, like myself) who can go out to dinner at a lot of their favorite restaurants on land (Outback, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.) without doing anything special in terms of dress. Many of these people can't see any reason why on a vacation it should be any different.

There are also a lot of people who are on the other end of the spectrum. They DO have to dress up everyday for work. Maybe they deal with customers on a regular basis, and must dress the part. When they go on vacation, they will be "dammed" if they are even gonna pack a tie, let alone wear one.

So, Carnival is smart in revising this dress code, and while I doubt very much HAL will ever allow shorts in the dining room during the dinner hours, I see them eliminating mandatory formal nights in the not to distant future. It simply makes good business sense if they want to draw in the younger, family cruiser.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I just got off the Westerdam in January. I wanted to eat lunch in the dining room and called down to the front desk to double check the dress code. The lady at the front desk told me "No Shorts Were Allowed In The Dining Room" just as I was hanging up the phone I heard "Sir,Are You Stlil There" I answered 'Yes" and She added "There's Also "No Jeans Allowed".

I threw on some khakis and a Tommy Bahama golf shirt (it really wasn't that big of an effort ( it took me all of 2 seconds) and went to the dining room.

Once I got there it was a whole different story, 75% of the people had shorts on and we sat with two guys with ballcaps for luch.

(oh yeah, they inadvertently forgot to take them off while they were eating)

I agree with you. While I personally would not wear shorts in the dining room, to be honest, it wouldn't impact my cruise any if others did. So what? I think what a lot of people on these boards forget is that a cruise is a VACATION. If the cruise line opts to allow shorts in the dining room, and someone decides to do so because they like being dressed very casually on vacation ... then what's the problem? What business is it of mine what someone else chooses to wear? If it bothers me that much, then it should be ME, not them, who does not eat in the formal dining room anymore. It should be ME who switches cruise lines if I'm not happy with the dress code, not the other person who is not doing anything wrong in wearing the shorts that are now allowed.

Like I said, I doubt HAL will ever allow shorts in the dining room ... at least during dinner ... but if they did I would then have to decide if I wanted to switch cruise lines based on that fact. People choosing to wear their shorts wouldn't be doing anything wrong, and I would have no right to make comments about them either on these boards or elsewhere.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ahhh, I just felt a breath of fresh air. :)

Rita, I agree completely. I personally wouldn't choose to wear shorts in the dining room (or jeans) but if HAL ever chooses allow shorts, I'd be the last person to say that others shouldn't, or make comments about those who do.

Just got off the Ryndam Wednesday. I observed men with open sports shirts and a jacket in the dining room on "formal" nights. The ladies all seemed to dress up.

The sign in front of the dining room on casual nights no longer says "smart casual" but just "casual".

I see that Seabourn is casual all nights. However I doubt that anyone would dress in shorts for dinner on that line.

Alas, I suspect "formal" will soon be gone.....:(

I hate to see men wearing baseball hats in restaurants. I did see that in the Lido on the Ryndam last week.

I just got off the Westerdam in January. I wanted to eat lunch in the dining room and called down to the front desk to double check the dress code. The lady at the front desk told me "No Shorts Were Allowed In The Dining Room" just as I was hanging up the phone I heard "Sir,Are You Stlil There" I answered 'Yes" and She added "There's Also "No Jeans Allowed".

I threw on some khakis and a Tommy Bahama golf shirt (it really wasn't that big of an effort ( it took me all of 2 seconds) and went to the dining room.

Once I got there it was a whole different story, 75% of the people had shorts on and we sat with two guys with ballcaps for luch.

(oh yeah, they inadvertently forgot to take them off while they were eating)