Disembarking

funkymander1

There are too many variables to consider. Last Dec. we sailed the HOLIDAY out of Mobile and ran into fog on our return to port. We didn't dock until noon and didn't get off until 2:30P.M.. If we had booked a flight before 4:00 we would still be in Mobile. Then there are the airlines to consider. I don't think that they will ever get back on a decent schedule. Every week they cancel flights.

My ship disembarks in Miami at 7:00a. I want to get an early flight out of Miami, how much time should I allow myself?

You can't really count on 7:00 as the time you disembark. All depends on customs and the baggage thing. Figure you'll get invited off (they do it by group) at 8:00 if you're in the first group. All pax should be off by 9:00- ish. I'd plan an 11:30 flight at the earliest. Less crowds and stressed people flying by you to catch their earlier flights. We like to relax and be one of the last off the ship. Easier to find your bags and catch a cab.

Have you ever flown out of Miami? It's by far the worst airport in the country. My friends who live in South Florida always told me they try and avoid flying into or out of Miami at all costs because it's such as pain. Of course, since I had never flown out of Mia, I thought they were exaggerating. BUT, when I had no choice but to fly out of Mia for Argentina, I knew they weren't exaggerating. It was awful. The lines for check in were more than one hour. Security lines were another hour long. And if your ship only docks at 7am, the ship has to be cleared by Immigration and that can take a long time if the non-US citizens don't report on time (that's delayed more than a few of my disembarkations), then they have to off load thousands of pieces of luggage, then they begin calling the color tags to begin disembarking. IF you're lucky, they could begin off loading passengers at 8:30. Then you have to hunt down your luggage, stand in what is usually a long line for Customs, find your transportation to the airport and off you go. The cruise lines tell all their passengers not to book a flight before noon. I heartily agree with that, especially for Miami. If it were Ft Lauderdale, you could make an 11 am flight, but not Miami.

Thank you to everyone who replied. After I posted my question I found on the RCI website the earliest departure time to reserve by ship. Good info...http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000pEmdgV6VS4jeyFPpUJhotLm:12hbioan0?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724&faqSubjectId=324&faqType=faq

Archived