taste of Athens..ships tour?

we are on the summit in oct...has anyone done this ships tour? it is 7 hours...$74 pp...gives you 3 hours on your own and includes admission to the Acropolis...

any comments about it?...good or otherwise...

a private tour is just too expensive!

we are on the summit in oct...has anyone done this ships tour? it is 7 hours...$74 pp...gives you 3 hours on your own and includes admission to the Acropolis...

I got a quote from a private tour in the same ballpark, but we would have gotten private car and unlimited stops to our fancy and at our leisure. In the end we are planning on going with our ship tour because in Athens there is really only two stops we are interested in. Like your tour the price is ~ 70 bucks also. In Rome, Florence, Naples, we'll be doing the private tours, much cheaper, flexible then a bus with 40 other cruisers :eek: for the busier stops.

I know that it's been posted alot of times on this board, but you can d.i.y. for alot less, and beat the crowds into the Acropolis. You can bargain w/a taxi driver to take u into town, leave u at the base of the Plaka, there's a trolley for 6 or 8 E that takes u all around (even up to the Acropolis); to Parliament, where u can witness the changing of the guards if it's the right time---a taxi ride in should be 20 E. Or else u can take the train in--get off at Omonia....

I know that it's been posted alot of times on this board, but you can d.i.y. for alot less, and beat the crowds into the Acropolis. You can bargain w/a taxi driver to take u into town, leave u at the base of the Plaka, there's a trolley for 6 or 8 E that takes u all around (even up to the Acropolis); to Parliament, where u can witness the changing of the guards if it's the right time---a taxi ride in should be 20 E. Or else u can take the train in--get off at Omonia....

Can anyone comment on the blurb from this web site http://www.europeportreviews.com/Athens.htm

"DO NOT get off the ship and plan to negotiate for a taxi to take you on a tour. While you may luck out and find a good driver, my personal experience and the experience of those in groups I have had in Athens is terrible. They clearly view you as prey to steal from and will do so pretending to be your friend. Here are some of the scams being pulled on tourists..."

It goes on and on about scams!

Before reading this I was planning on hiring a couple cabs and be done with it. Now I'm still bouncing between using Greektaxi or the ship tour. Since their are only two sites we want to see I can't see the benefit of a private tour, yet the price are similar?

Advice?

You are misunderstanding my post. I did not say to hire a cab for a tour.

TAKE a cab into the city of Athens. Use them for transportation. That's it. To get from place to place. You will find them at the main terminal. 20 E. We split it with another couple. THen we took the train/metro back to the ship. Everything in Athens is pretty close. You son't need a cab to take u all over the place. Just a map. Everything is in walking distance. I've been to Athens 3x. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

You are misunderstanding my post. I did not say to hire a cab for a tour.

TAKE a cab into the city of Athens. Use them for transportation. That's it. To get from place to place. You will find them at the main terminal. 20 E. We split it with another couple. THen we took the train/metro back to the ship. Everything in Athens is pretty close. You son't need a cab to take u all over the place. Just a map. Everything is in walking distance. I've been to Athens 3x. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

I guess my comment wasn't clear either. I was simply researching a cab from the dock to the train station which would have been too far a walk for my inlaws and parents. After reading that article and some other stuff the idea of being stuck at the edge of Athens with two taxi drivers trying to short change me didn't sound apealing :eek:

So you are saying based on your travels there that generally Athen's drivers are as honest and safe as any I'd hail down in San Francisco, NYC, Shanghai, or Tokyo? If so, I might reconsider. Not asking for any gurantee but that is the rule vs. the exception. We can always as a rule find a great honest person / business anywhere the issue is that the rule or the exception?

sounds like a good deal! We took a private tour for 10 people and I will email you the details. The operator also had a package for a group of 4.Dileep

I guess my comment wasn't clear either. I was simply researching a cab from the dock to the train station which would have been too far a walk for my inlaws and parents. After reading that article and some other stuff the idea of being stuck at the edge of Athens with two taxi drivers trying to short change me didn't sound apealing :eek:

So you are saying based on your travels there that generally Athen's drivers are as honest and safe as any I'd hail down in San Francisco, NYC, Shanghai, or Tokyo? If so, I might reconsider. Not asking for any gurantee but that is the rule vs. the exception. We can always as a rule find a great honest person / business anywhere the issue is that the rule or the exception?

Re your 1st paragraph--it is well known that the cab will not take u from the dock to the train station. There IS a bus that will do this, and it has been done, but I was suggesting that u take a taxi from the terminal into

Athens. There should be a shuttle from your dock (if u r way out) to the terminal --you'll find taxi's there. Also, I did see some taxi's at the dock (if u're far out) but they have a tendency to charge lotsa $ for a ride into Athens. That is why I suggested u hail a taxi at the terminal and have them take you into Athens and leave u at the base of the Plaka area. It is a long haul/walk from the train station back to the ship.

If u read my post again, you' ll find that your second paragraph is nowhere to be found in my posts.

sounds like a good deal! We took a private tour for 10 people and I will email you the details. The operator also had a package for a group of 4.Dileep

hey dileep so good to see you....will never forget the cruise we did with you guys...off to chech out your site...

Archived