Port Excursion Question

good2know

We are traveling SB Alaska May 26 and have not booked any excursions, except we've rented a car in Skyway. In Juneau and Ketchikan will there be vendors selling excursions like they do in the Caribbeans? I know the whale watching and helicopter tours will probably be sold out, but am mostly interested in hiking, biking, and kayaking. We are holding out until we get to port to see what kind of weather we are having!!! In Juneau I would like for our son to be able to hike the mandenhall glacier and in Ketchikan or Whittier I would like for him to be able to Kayak. Thanks for any help from "seasoned" Alaskian cruisers!!

You will find a few. But nothing like you find on the islands. You find more

info centers where you can purchase tours. But don't expect to bargin

with them like you do on the Islands.

Often the good tours are sold out before you even leave home.

Personally, I would book now. Most of these tours run rain or shine...and with the right foul weather gear can be enjoyable either way. You don't want to travel all the way to Alaska only to find that all the activiites you had hoped to enjoy are fully booked, or only available at inconvenient times.

Always have your plans and reservations in place before you leave. Time is short and why waste it, trying to arrange something you could have done ahead of time.

At the dock, last minute bookings are only good for bus type tours, since they are always available and usually run continously. But are you willing, to wait hours for a slot for kayaking??

Hiking is easy, do your homework and know best transit to the sites and time needed.

You are best to be well prepared in your attire, so the weather doesn't impact on important touring decisions.

Archived