Rental Car?

fitznorton

We rented a car on our first trip to St. Lucia, which was almost 10 years ago. We had to get a cab to the airport to pick it up, which was only about a 5 minute ride. We had pre-booked the car before our cruise. You need to get a temporary international driver's license, which is available at the airport.

Frankly, I was terrified most of the time. Not only do they drive on the opposite (left) side of the road in St. Lucia, the cars are European with driver sitting on the right side. It was pretty confusing for an American. The roads are very windy and narrow, and poorly marked. We had a map, but ended up just following a tour bus to the volcano. We didn't go as far as the Pitons, but there's no reason why you couldn't.

Fitz:

The landscape in St. Lucia is nothing like Aruba. Very mountainous, windy roads, cliffs, narrow, harrowing. :)

I'd consider hiring a driver for the day. Allow me to recommend Spencer Ambrose. He's an ex-cop, and will gladly work with you to plan the day of your dreams on his beautiful island.

You can read about our fun time with him on my Amsterdam link in my sig. Pics from our day on my Snapfish link.

Good luck and have fun, whatever you decide. ;)

We rented a car while in St. Lucia in November. I believe it was from Costless Car Rental. They met us at the pier with the car. We signed all the paperwork in the little store area at the pier and left from there to the pitons. Road were winding but very smooth. We drove to the Pitons and then proceeded to CLIMB GROS PITON :D . We still had time for a leisurely drive back to the port with a couple of stops along the way to take some pictures.

No problem with the car or the car rental company. We had set it up online a month or so before the trip.

• 1 month later...

rpbcouple,What was it like to climb GROS PITON. That sounds reall cool. How long did it take? Did you have any time to stop at any beaches or any shopping? Also did you feel safe? Would love to do something like that. We will be there in Aug.08. Any help..Thanks, Rlyans

Archived