Fuel supplement to be refunded

PaulMedik

I still wonder if Carnival won't get the last laugh out of this.

Doing some thing like have the OBC set as a nonrefundable type. Same kind as the shareholder benefit or booking issued OBC (Not price adjustment).

If it is treated as nonrefundable OBC then Carnival can still win with the money in the end.

Have yet see any statements saying unused OBC from the surcharge would be refunded.

So what? The cost for fuel is huge and nobody disputes that. Carnival and all the others are trying to offset the huge increases in diesel - have you seen diesel prices? They buy cheaper fuel and in bulk but, their increases have been hitting the bottom line very hard.

The fact remains that this is a victory for the consumer - we will get a break due to vigilence by the folks on this and other boards and the Attorney General of Florida. This is a good thing for us all. SO WHAT if it is OBC only?? We have a cruise in May and one on the Pride in 2009 so the credit (likely $210) will buy a lot of my DW's fu-fu drinks and that makes me very happy. :p

By the way, I cannot blame Carnival for digging in - this is a lot of dough they will have to fork over (or eat).

Nice find.

Glad to hear the news, this'll be an extra $90 in our pocket for our B2B in October.

And a suggestion, if I may - if you have a question, please do at least a little research and actually read the article before asking a question about your specific sail date. It very clearly states the method of refund for your sail date. :rolleyes:

So what? The cost for fuel is huge and nobody disputes that. Carnival and all the others are trying to offset the huge increases in diesel - have you seen diesel prices? They buy cheaper fuel and in bulk but, their increases have been hitting the bottom line very hard.

The fact remains that this is a victory for the consumer - we will get a break due to vigilence by the folks on this and other boards. This is a good thing for us all. SO WHAT if it is OBC only?? We have a cruise in May and one on the Pride in 2009 so the credit (likely $210) will buy a lot of my DW's fu-fu drinks and that makes me very happy. :p

By the way, I cannot blame Carnival for digging in - this is a lot of dough they will have to fork over (or eat).

Thing is in the case of use it or lose it Carnival is still the winner.

My feeling is it should be pressured even more to have the surcharge refunded to the customer. Not be given as a credit that might only be good on the sailing.

Doing some thing like have the OBC set as a nonrefundable type. Same kind as the shareholder benefit or booking issued OBC (Not price adjustment).

If it is treated as nonrefundable OBC then Carnival can still win with the money in the end.

Have yet see any statements saying unused OBC from the surcharge would be refunded.

Well I would have to admire your restraint if your sail & sign doesn't amount to more than $70 for the duration of the cruise......mine will probably be gone the first day :p

I booked 11/13/07!!

All i have to say is, *%$#$@$%&@##$%!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'm sorry. I know it's tough - but you knew when you booked that the fee was in affect. Unlike those of us who booked months and in some cases more than a year prior and then got that fee tacked on.

I know it doesn't make it any easier to see us "jumping for joy" over $70.

That Carnival wasn't more pro-active about this. Once RCI issued refunds it seemed inevitable that Carnival was going to have to do something eventually. Even if they felt they were right, to continue to fight the FLA AG would just continue to rack up legal bills and bad publicity...I would've figured people at Carnival would be smart enough to see this and if they had come forward earlier and offered something like "discounts on future cruises" for people who were charged surcharges after making their deposit in the amount of the fuel surcharge it would be a win/win. They could put an expiration date of a year on em which would maybe make people move up a planned future cruise or lose their money....

I don't know...maybe the FL AG wouldn't have settled for something like that...?

I just got off the phone with my TA and they were surprised to hear about the refunds....anyway she called Carninval because I wanted to know if it was true and how it would be credited. She said that I would be getting an onboard credit and that it would be showing on our account when we get onboard!!! Woo Hooooo!!!! Foo Foo drinks here we come!!! I booked the cruise last April and paid for the surcharge a few months ago. I like to prepay everything I can(excursions, drink and photo coupons etc.). So if in doubt call your TA. It will be worth it!!! 10 days and counting!!!! :) :) :)

Well I would have to admire your restraint if your sail & sign doesn't amount to more than $70 for the duration of the cruise......mine will probably be gone the first day :p

Your gratuity will take care of it on Day 1. As for us, our's will be MORE than gone the first day too - once we book an excursion and have a few drinks.

I just called our PVP. We sail this Saturday and we are looking at $220 in OBC.

$100 - which was part of our initial booking.

$50 - for the loss of Costa Maya ($25 per person).

$70 - refund of fuel surcharge.

Nothing like stepping onto the ship with a nice, big CREDIT!!!!!

I paid a depsoit last summer for a cruise that I took in March. But since I've returned I've booked a future cruise and I'm wondering if they're gonna just apply the fuel surcharge from my first cruise as OBC on my next cruise or if my credit card will be refunded?...Not that it really matters....

I paid a depsoit last summer for a cruise that I took in March. But since I've returned I've booked a future cruise and I'm wondering if they're gonna just apply the fuel surcharge from my first cruise as OBC on my next cruise or if my credit card will be refunded?...Not that it really matters....

Open thought here...

Is anybody still going to have their own personal vendetta with Carnival? Meaning spend as little as possible onboard (Own excursions, drinks, ect.).

That is exactly what I PLANNED to do.

I have already booked all of my excursions with private vendors. Did that in November and December - AFTER they added $70 to my "paid in full" cruise. In those excursions alone, Carnival lost over $300 just from the two of us. I know $300 isn't much - we're just one booking. Just wondering how many others might have done this?

Anyway, as for my refunded $70 - they'll get it back in additional drinks and photos, but I will not change my excursions.

OK ...I'll bite...did you pay a fuel surcharge ??????:rolleyes:

Of course I paid a fuel charge. I certainly would not of posted if I did not pay the fuel charge. To be honest I can not recall what I paid. It was a 10 day cruise.

Robb

The surcharge was announced Nov 7th, 2007 and went into effect for cruises that sailed Feb 1, 2008 and later. This means:

a) You never paid the surcharge

b) You aren't due a "refund" on a charge you never paid.

Yes I did pay a fuel charge. It was I am thinking although not sure $7.00 per day. I got a notice from my TA and had to pay it.

Robb

reposting. You will get a refund, not a future credit on some other cruise. (sorry for the repost)

-- For cruises departing on or prior to April 4, 2008, guests will

receive a refund in the same form they used to purchase their cruise.

-- For cruises departing from April 5, 2008 through June 23, 2008, guests

will receive an on-board credit.

-- For cruises departing on or after June 24, 2008, guests' bookings will

be adjusted to remove the supplement.

Yes I did pay a fuel charge. It was I am thinking although not sure $7.00 per day. I got a notice from my TA and had to pay it.

Robb

Snorkels facts are correct. If your TA charged you a fuel surcharge he ripped you off.

Robb

The fuel surcharge didnt start until cruises leaving Feb 1, 2008 and after, so whatever you paid must have been something else.

All of Carnival's lines were $5 a day, NCL I believe was $7 per day?

check with your TA maybe they can tell you what the charge was for.

I'd trade in that credit for a day at Costa Maya on the beach in Mahajaul.

I look at it this way. My S&S starts with a $320 charge for tips and $60 for Harry's. This gets it down to $300. I don't view it as "found money" or any sort of bonus. It's the deal we negotiated with Carnival. I always thought we would get it back. It was just a matter of how long and how much Carnival was going to spend to fight the AG on it. After the RCCL negotiation, this was a losing fight for Carnival and they had to know it.

I don't mean to derail but I am curious about the $25 pp OBC for the loss of Costa Maya. I'm on the 06/14/08 Glory and we were planned to stop at Costa Maya and then 1 day the itinerary changed w/o notice. I was looking forward to Costa Maya... So anyways, what's the deal with the OBC for Costa Maya?

Thanks!

Brandi

How is that? The tips are pre-billed to the S&S account and are $10 per day per passenger which is greater than the $5 here. There will be nothing left for Carnival even if a passenger buys no drinks or spends no other money on board.

As for spending more or less with Carnival or not doing their excursions, I don't think anyone should let this impact his or vacation in any way. I think most Carnival sponsored excursions are ripoffs anyway where they make $millions just based on passenger fears about the "missing the ship" guarantee and the lack of information by most people about independent excursions.

I will never understand the loyalty some have to ANY cruiseline. Some view them as I do my favorite sports teams and actually root for them. It seemed like there were other threads with people unhappy that we passengers were actually going to get our money back because it would hurt "poor Carnival" or maybe even drive up the price of their own cruise. Go figure.

Archived