question on prices for Bermuda

pajammies

First of all, we are currently booked on another cruise, but I have read so many nice things about Bermuda I want to go:D so I might change my plans. Can someone tell me if the current price on NCL of $999 (october)for the lowest catergory balcony is a decent price. I've never priced Bermuda but I am willing to wait if the price is a little high right now. Secondly, does anyone know the price for the 3 day bus ticket while in Bermuda? Thanks in advance for any help.:)

First of all, we are currently booked on another cruise, but I have read so many nice things about Bermuda I want to go:D so I might change my plans. Can someone tell me if the current price on NCL of $999 (october)for the lowest catergory balcony is a decent price. I've never priced Bermuda but I am willing to wait if the price is a little high right now. Secondly, does anyone know the price for the 3 day bus ticket while in Bermuda? Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Sounds like a great price. If BonnieVA is paying more than that for an inside cat II then you KNOW that balcony is a good deal. The ship Bonnie is on does not have balconies, so we can't compare her ship to yours.

DH & I are heading to Bermuda on NCL Majesty end of June. Through our TA we are paying $1028/person for category II, which includes all taxes, etc.

I have no idea what the "average" would be.

Bonnie, I am so glad you picked a cruise you can drive to!

Bonnie, I am so glad you picked a cruise you can drive to!

Are you referring to my NCL change of itinerary cruise that was planned for November??

Oh, & to the OP, the prices for our June Bermuda cruise have increased since I booked by about $250/person! BUT ... not sure which cruise you're looking at but ours is a 7-day cruise, not a 5-day as I've seen on some other cruise lines.

Thanks everybody, I would say that looking at that price for the cat. II that maybe $999 is indeed a good deal. We are actually still undecided on what to do (That would be because my husband has no clue that I'm thinking about changing intineraries :p ) but just alittle price comparison is nice. I did look at the other ship NCL has going there but we are balcony people so that was out of the question. Yes the one I priced was a 7 day. Does NCL have a 5 day to Bermuda anymore? I didn't think so but maybe just not when I waas looking at going. Again, thanks

BUT they are all on Majesty which does not have balconies.

but I'll post when they are for clarification

7 night has 3 overnights in St George from Charleston, Baltimore, Boston

6 night has 2 overnights in St George 2009 from Baltimore & Charleston

5 night has 1 overnight in St George Charleston 2008 & in 2009 Baltimore

This year:

Majesty 5 night from Charleston June 14

Majesty 6 night from Baltimore Aug 23,

Majesty 6 night from Baltimore also Aug 23

Majesty 6 night from Charleston 2009 May 16

prices vary depending on season.

Are you referring to my NCL change of itinerary cruise that was planned for November??

Yes. I remember reading the quandary you were in when they changed itineraries. I guess I never read what you had decided on. I'm glad it worked out that you still get to have Freestyle, and can drive to Charleston instead of another line and Miami. I know you'll write a review for us & will let us know how the boys liked Bermuda instead of Cozumel! But hey, you don't hae to worry with a different language now!

Ahh yes, now I remember why I didn't think there was a 5 day, I didn't want to sail on the Majesty because there are no balconies. So in my mind... no 5 day. Darn! I would have loved a 5 day on NCL, with kids at home we hate to leave them for too long. Thanks Flashdog

Yes. I remember reading the quandary you were in when they changed itineraries. I guess I never read what you had decided on. I'm glad it worked out that you still get to have Freestyle, and can drive to Charleston instead of another line and Miami. I know you'll write a review for us & will let us know how the boys liked Bermuda instead of Cozumel! But hey, you don't hae to worry with a different language now!

Well, actually, these are 2 different cruises. The Bermuda cruise was planned 1st. Then I had booked a Thanksgiving family cruise to W Carib on Majesty from Chraleston. That's the one that NCL changed completely. I have actually changed that cruise to end of Aug on Carnival from Miami!! It was the only one I could find going to W Carib (the boys were really excited about Coz & Gr Cayman & so was I). So, we'll deal w/ heat, humidity & (possibly) hurricanes & we'll have to drive 2x as far BUT the kids won't miss any school (my high schooler REALLY did not want to miss classes), we can take the drive down/back more leisurely because it's summer break, the itinerary is actually better than the NCL, & the ship will be more appealing to my boys.

So, yes, we ARE driving all that way!! But we'll visit a grandpa/great-grandpa whose days are limited in St Petersburg & we MIGHT catch the AutoTrain on our way home if our ship gets back to Miami in time. This could be a really great trip. AND my dh & I are also sailing to Bermuda on Majesty.

You know, I should find that old thread & post our new plans since so many people were so helpful to me back then.

Ahh yes, now I remember why I didn't think there was a 5 day, I didn't want to sail on the Majesty because there are no balconies. So in my mind... no 5 day. Darn! I would have loved a 5 day on NCL, with kids at home we hate to leave them for too long. Thanks Flashdog

But there's so much less time on a 5-day to Bermuda. I think you'll enjoy the couple extra days on the island. I've never been there but I immediately crossed off the 5-days when I was looking for a cruise out there. I can't wait to see as much as Bermuda as we can on a more leisurely schedule.

BonnieVA- You're killin' me here. I agree I've read so many GREAT things about Bermuda I don't know what to do. I JUST called my husband to say, What about a 7 day cruise to Bermuda. He said o.k... but he's giving me a bit of a guilty concious leaving the kids for that long. I would love a 7 day, but we are just not sure. Last time we went on a cruise it was a 5 day and I said never again, too short. Decisions, decisions

I am looking at going to Bermuda in July with a friend, leaving the kids at home with thier dads. I was looking at a 5 day cause of this-but she can't go then and a 7 day is much better.:D

But my kids are 3 yrs and 10 months so I will mess them lots, but Mom needs a vacation-can't wait!

Lancaster

Carnival Paradise '04

Carnival Destiny '06

BonnieVA- You're killin' me here. I agree I've read so many GREAT things about Bermuda I don't know what to do. I JUST called my husband to say, What about a 7 day cruise to Bermuda. He said o.k... but he's giving me a bit of a guilty concious leaving the kids for that long. I would love a 7 day, but we are just not sure. Last time we went on a cruise it was a 5 day and I said never again, too short. Decisions, decisions

I'm sorry, LOL! I'm probably not the one to give advice since I've never been to Bermuda AND I've never cruised! I've also never left my kids for longer than a weekend (background: married 16.5 yrs w/ 4 boys - 15, 12, 10, 4 ...we're WAY overdue for this).

I don't know how old your kids are. If I had a baby I couldn't even go on a 5-day or be gone for a weekend! I always needed to be WITH my babies at all times (what a sap I am ... well, I breastfed them all until they were one so it was necessary too). But, IMO, if I'm going to spend all that money I might as well make it worth it. I don't want a teaser vacation to Bermuda ... give me as many days as possible. And, if I have to leave my kids behind, a couple extra days won't kill anyone.

I am looking at going to Bermuda in July with a friend, leaving the kids at home with thier dads. I was looking at a 5 day cause of this-but she can't go then and a 7 day is much better.:D

But my kids are 3 yrs and 10 months so I will mess them lots, but Mom needs a vacation-can't wait!

Lancaster

Carnival Paradise '04

Carnival Destiny '06

I'm guessing you meant to say MISS right? I hope you don't plan to mess them up too much before you go:D My husband misses them terribly when were gone, I can handle it though. I only work 10 hours a week so the break from them is nice when I get it. Sounds like I need to do a cruise with a friend. Let's see... I go on cruise, husband stays home, he won't miss kids and I don't either (just kidding). Hmm... yes that would seem to work out good.

I just noticed in your profile that Ocho Rios is your fav port. When were you there? Maybe you could help me figure out what the heck to do in Aug when we're there w/ the whole family. Honestly, Jamaica scares me a bit. Not sure I even want to get off the ship after the stories I've read & heard!

One of my boys really wants to do Dunn's Riv Falls. Not sure that I do. Interested in river tubing but need something else to fill the time.

Sorry to change subjects on you here. Maybe we should take this to the Jamaica page!

I'm sorry, LOL! I'm probably not the one to give advice since I've never been to Bermuda AND I've never cruised! I've also never left my kids for longer than a weekend (background: married 16.5 yrs w/ 4 boys - 15, 12, 10, 4 ...we're WAY overdue for this).

I don't know how old your kids are. If I had a baby I couldn't even go on a 5-day or be gone for a weekend! I always needed to be WITH my babies at all times (what a sap I am ... well, I breastfed them all until they were one so it was necessary too). But, IMO, if I'm going to spend all that money I might as well make it worth it. I don't want a teaser vacation to Bermuda ... give me as many days as possible. And, if I have to leave my kids behind, a couple extra days won't kill anyone.

Well that made me chuckle:) It's not bad advice though. I agree totally, you wouldn't believe how many times I've said "if I'm going, I'm going to make it worth it" I tend to want to make the $250pp airline tickets worth it mostly.

This is where my thought process comes in... I have a cruise booked right now through Carnival, 5 day Caribbean. If I do this 7 day cruise through NCL and I use my cruise rewards the NCL one would only cost $50 more, for 2 more days. But then we come back to the kid problem, ( 7 days or 5) not really a problem just feeling guilty. ugh!

I just noticed in your profile that Ocho Rios is your fav port. When were you there? Maybe you could help me figure out what the heck to do in Aug when we're there w/ the whole family. Honestly, Jamaica scares me a bit. Not sure I even want to get off the ship after the stories I've read & heard!

One of my boys really wants to do Dunn's Riv Falls. Not sure that I do. Interested in river tubing but need something else to fill the time.

Sorry to change subjects on you here. Maybe we should take this to the Jamaica page!

Alot of people would argue with me on that. I do believe most of the problems are more in Montego Bay, from what I've read on here anyways. I just thought it was absolutley beautiful and I loved Dunn's River Falls. If I had to do it again after reading these boards I might opt for doing a ship excursion however. IMHO You got to go once, it's gorgeous, just take caution. We were fine however, so we had no complaints.

But then we come back to the kid problem, ( 7 days or 5) not really a problem just feeling guilty. ugh!

My husband always uses the 5-year rule. How will this decision affect me in 5 yrs, if at all? Here's what I think: If you go for 7 days instead of 5 your kids will NOT be affected 5 yrs down the road. On the other hand, you & your dh might have some awesome memories in 5 yrs of your "extended" vacation & all the extra things you got to do in Bermuda. And all the extras for just 50 bucks!!

But, as I said, I have no idea how old your kids are & if they are quite young I would also be hesitant like you are. But, then again, I wouldn't even be THINKING of cruising if I had very young ones, since I'm such a sap!

My husband always uses the 5-year rule. How will this decision affect me in 5 yrs, if at all? Here's what I think: If you go for 7 days instead of 5 your kids will NOT be affected 5 yrs down the road. On the other hand, you & your dh might have some awesome memories in 5 yrs of your "extended" vacation & all the extra things you got to do in Bermuda. And all the extras for just 50 bucks!!

But, as I said, I have no idea how old your kids are & if they are quite young I would also be hesitant like you are. But, then again, I wouldn't even be THINKING of cruising if I had very young ones, since I'm such a sap!

You're not a sap.:) It's great you love to spend all that time with your kids. My kids will be 9 yrs and 28 months when we go in Oct. But we have already left them once when the little one was only a few months old. I love the 5 year rule (really, not just because it helps my case:D ) I have heard that before and forgot about it. That is a good way to gage decisions, at least in my opinion. I'll try that out on my husband and see what he thinks. Wish me luck!

I did this on a cruise with my family, my kids were 9, 7 & 5.

I felt safe and all, but I don't what the cruise line was thinking when they sold me this excursion for a 5 year old!

Its not all that easy walking up through the falls and they tell you all to hold hands and some man was barking at me that he didn't want to be responsible for my child (yikes--holding hands wasn't my idea!!-we had one child in front, then dh, another child, then me and last child--we were holding onto our kids). My youngest was getting overwhelmed by the rushing water and it was kind of rushing into her face about half way up. Luckily my friend's Mom was along and had stayed at the top with her little one, so we were able to hand off my little one.

The other part that drove me insane was that in order to get back to the bus, you had to go through the little market and these people were really getting aggresive with my kids, putting things in their hands, and so on. Then they heard me call my youngest by name and they all started calling to her. My son was 9and he got freaked out by this and said, "Mom, pick her up and lets get out of here".

That and "tip talk" all the way back to the ship, telling us how poor they are, pay is so low. You know you pay top dollar for cruise excursions--you are not going for free!!!

Price looks good--prices tend to be higher in July/August--and cruises to Bermuda usually are a little higher priced than say a 7 night caribbean cruise out of Florida.

One other thing I want to tell you is that October has always been my favorite month in Bermuda. Weather is perfect--lovely warm days, with just a bit of breeze in the evenings. It can be oppresively hot and humid in July and August! The water is lovely as well. Again, in July & August it can be as hot as bath water--not very refreshing!

• 2 weeks later...
DH & I are heading to Bermuda on NCL Majesty end of June. Through our TA we are paying $1028/person for category II, which includes all taxes, etc.

I have no idea what the "average" would be.

I know it's been a while & you've probably made a decision on your cruise but I was just looking over my papers on our Bermuda cruise (payment's due Monday). I had mentioned that we were paying $1028/pp inc taxes, etc. Well, to break it down further, we are paying $724/person BEFORE taxes, fuel surcharge, etc. for our 7-night NCL cruise to Bermuda in late June.

Archived